Beveled gears inside headlamps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
The gears on my headlights are shot and I would like to adjust my headlights a bit.

I think I can get some gears, I just don't know anything about gears.

Any idea what the pitch and bore size or whatever is of the OEM parts?

I found this site, but I wouldn't know what to buy or if it was a good deal, or if someone else already figured this out. Search didn't go far beyond making me think I could fix this with new gears. The ones in the OEM lights are white nylon or some sort of plastic.

Catalog | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument

Thoughts?

EDIT: Correction, the gears are a bluish green color. They don't have a set screw though, so I am thinking I could just buy a stem like that and connect it to the gear. The gear turns something inside the lamp, but my surgery hasn't progressed any further.

P1000750.JPG

P1000751.JPG

Last edited:
That's wayyy too much candy for the nickel ;)
Have you tried Tacoma or Camry parts cars of the same (or nearly the same) vintage? I have no idea if Mr. T shared these parts across platforms, but it might be worth looking. The early model 100s may also be a possibility, especially the 1999.

The gears you're looking for are straight bevel gears. You need a couple of parameters to source them (if you can find them at all). You need the diametral pitch. That's the imaginary diameter where the gears meet. These will be metric, so measure and find a close, even millimeter. The next is the pressure angle; I'm guessing here, but try 30°. What you get really doesn't matter, as long as the gears mate. The last is the face length. Measure from one side of the gear, parallel to the shaft, to the other. Ignore the turned down shaft collar-looking area.

Everything else you'll have to measure for yourself and come up with a sketch. What you come up with doesn't have to be exactly what Mr. T used, it just has to fit and do the same thing.

HTH

Just ask someone around here for a set of the adjusters.
I would start by asking me, as I have one spare set from headlights I don't use.
If I can find my stash you are welcome to a set.

P.S. I respect your fight against the rust. I live in the rust belt as well and fight the good fight like you!

Just ask someone around here for a set of the adjusters.
I would start by asking me, as I have one spare set from headlights I don't use.
If I can find my stash you are welcome to a set.

P.S. I respect your fight against the rust. I live in the rust belt as well and fight the good fight like you!
If you have set, I would love to get my hands on them. It would be nice to adjust the headlights especially the driver's side one. These lights aren't that bright to begin with and mine aren't focused on the road all that well.

Yeah, the rust is a never ending battle. I don't really mind as I enjoy putzing around in my shop, but when stuff like these fail, it's a hassle. If I put the new gears in I am going to have to split the lens from the mounting body to get in there to free up whatever these engage with inside. They move, but not well and there is no way to get any penetrating oil in there without getting into the guts of it.

That's wayyy too much candy for the nickel ;)
Have you tried Tacoma or Camry parts cars of the same (or nearly the same) vintage? I have no idea if Mr. T shared these parts across platforms, but it might be worth looking. The early model 100s may also be a possibility, especially the 1999.

The gears you're looking for are straight bevel gears. You need a couple of parameters to source them (if you can find them at all). You need the diametral pitch. That's the imaginary diameter where the gears meet. These will be metric, so measure and find a close, even millimeter. The next is the pressure angle; I'm guessing here, but try 30°. What you get really doesn't matter, as long as the gears mate. The last is the face length. Measure from one side of the gear, parallel to the shaft, to the other. Ignore the turned down shaft collar-looking area.

Everything else you'll have to measure for yourself and come up with a sketch. What you come up with doesn't have to be exactly what Mr. T used, it just has to fit and do the same thing.

HTH
Probably more trouble than it's worth. Just thought there might be a simple solution like you said about another model or some cheap gears that I could just toss in. I could probably just find some used headlights, but I am not sure this is worth getting into any great expense over. Getting the pins out of the gears would probably break something else and then I am no further ahead and I wasted a bunch money on the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom