I turned the key on and the starter would not stop ,lights inside flashing on and off . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here what happened . I put the key in and started the truck , with in the next seconds the starter sounded like it was still trying to start the truck and the dash light flashed on and off all of them . I turned the key to the off position and the start was still going and the lights keep flashing . I turned the key all the way on again as if to start it up but it was still running so I tried to turn it off again but it was as if the key switch wasn't working at all . I finally took the key out and it stopped . I turned the key back on again and started it up and this time every thing worked right . Do I need to get a new ignition switch or is the problem somewhere else . It kind of scared me because when the key was in the off position it keep running . I made it home with no electrical problems everything seemed to be fine . This has never happened before . Any help will be greatly appreciated . 1997 lexus lx450 . Thanks . One more question if when I take the key out and it still keeps running what is the best way to shut off the truck once its running if the key out of the ignition doesn't stop it from running ?. and whats the best way to stop the starter manually from trying to start a all ready running engine ?

Last edited:
I hear you are supposed to disconnect the battery if it won’t stop starting, otherwise it can catch on fire.
Probably need a new starter. I just got one in my ‘95 to avoid this same scenario.

Classic symptoms of worn starter contacts and plunger.
So does that mean a new starter or new contacts and plunger ? how does that work ? Are parts available for starters or do I just get a all new one ? Where is the best place to get a new one if I need a complete new one or the best place to get parts if parts can be replaced . I have never done anything with the starter before .Thank for helping me , Aloha and ppc .

If you have the OEM starter then I would replace the contacts and plunger. Yes parts are available, I'd suggest you search the forum as there are many threads with pictures on the identification of the three OEM starters, pros and cons of repair or replacement. There is also threads on Toyota remanufactured units from your dealer or options from Rockauto or your local parts stores.

So does that mean a new starter or new contacts and plunger ? how does that work ? Are parts available for starters or do I just get a all new one ? Where is the best place to get a new one if I need a complete new one or the best place to get parts if parts can be replaced . I have never done anything with the starter before .Thank for helping me , Aloha and ppc .
Having just gone through this starter replacement, this is what I learned. You can rebuild your starter, depending on which version starter you have. Rebuild parts are cheap, and apparently it’s easy to do. My version of starter did not have oem replacement parts, so I bought a new Denso remanufactured starter. Got it on Amazon for a rediculously good price, almost as much as the rebuild kit. Had it installed, and no more sketchy starts. You need to see which starter you have, can see it in the DS wheel well.

D3DA0F00-F00D-4339-BFDA-D09C69E05E97.jpeg

Here is where you can peak in and get the starter version you have. I just stuck my camera up in there and took a photo to see the number. If I’m not mistaken, there are 3 different starters for the 80, plenty of threads on the different ones.

And this is the one I got off amazon a few months ago. $43 is what I believe it cost me off amazon warehouse deals. It was free shipping so I decided to try it. Worked out great, very happy so far.
2FE6D4FF-BFAF-49F5-89BA-89FB6C286ABB.jpeg

View attachment 1638868
Here is where you can peak in and get the starter version you have. I just stuck my camera up in there and took a photo to see the number. If I’m not mistaken, there are 3 different starters for the 80, plenty of threads on the different ones.

And this is the one I got off amazon a few months ago. $43 is what I believe it cost me off amazon warehouse deals. It was free shipping so I decided to try it. Worked out great, very happy so far.
View attachment 1638869
That one look really good can I use this starter no matter which one I have on there now ? can you put a link to the Amazon place you got your at ? I might go for the replacement parts once I put the new one in so I will have a extra one for later on . That way I won't be afraid to take the other one apart . Thanks you guys for the help . Is it the one for 35.05

Last edited:
That one look really good can I use this starter no matter which one I have on there now ? can you put a link to the Amazon place you got your at ? I might go for the replacement parts once I put the new one in so I will have a extra one for later on . That way I won't be afraid to take the other one apart . Thanks you guys for the help .
Mine is the 1.4kw starter for warm weather climates. You may need the beefier version if you are in cold weather or drive in cold weather areas. I’m in the tropics, so the smaller one is more then sufficient for me. Best to just check what one is on there already, or just get the heavier duty one just to be safe. I’m pretty sure they are all compatible, but best to check with the experts on this forum.

Okay I'll find out what I have and go from there at least I know what to look for now once I see what I have . I'm in Ky and it gets pretty cold so I better get the same Kwatts . Thanks for the help I may have to hollow at you again If I get stuck taking it out or putting it in if thats okay ?

Okay I'll find out what I have and go from there at least I know what to look for now once I see what I have . I'm in Ky and it gets pretty cold so I better get the same Kwatts . Thanks for the help I may have to hollow at you again If I get stuck taking it out or putting it in if thats okay ?

If I'm correct the 2.2kW is NLA. You will need (and most likely have) the 2.0 kW. I'm in KS and have the 2.0kW version from O'Reilly as mine was DOA one morning and it's my DD. Works fine in cold weather. If you have time, shop the Amazon and Rockauto.

@Aloha Jen is correct, all three are compatible and are sized for the weather. Unlike the alternator, there's no benefit to getting a bigger starter if you don't need it. FWIW, the solenoids fail at a much higher rate than the starters.

You've gotten great advice so all I'll add is NOT TO WAIT to do this. '94 from brand new and I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th starter. On one of the replacements, I waited just a little while and the thing seized and ended up frying the alternator as well! Now, any time I start to hear the tell tale clicking, I get it replaced.

This is all thats left of the sticker does anyone know which one I have and if I can get the replacement parts for it or which new one I should get . It looks just like the middle photo the 2.0 starter . _IMG5764 by myridevlx600, on Flickr

Last edited:
What, you can't read barcodes?

I think I found the plunger and the 2 contact pieces I need . Looks like its about 10 dollars for the parts but I'm not sure if they are the right parts . Would someone check out what I picked and see if I got the right ones . Here are the links to the plunger and the 2 different size contacts . SOLENOID CONTACT, BATTERY POSTAlternator Parts, Starter Parts, Rebuild Kits, Upgrade Kits ,SOLENOID CONTACT, BATTERY/MOTOR POSTAlternator Parts, Starter Parts, Rebuild Kits, Upgrade Kits. PLUNGER ASSEMBLYAlternator Parts, Starter Parts, Rebuild Kits, Upgrade Kits

Last edited:
I fixed it .Thanks for the help . This is the best forum . I changed the plunger and the spring , the 2 metal contacts and the broken solenoid terminal connection and re soldered it. It started right up . Here are some photos and I put the part numbers with it . I got all the parts for 12.03 and shipping was 10.75 so my total was 22.78. The gasket they sent was not the right size but the one I have looked pretty good . gasket is not the right size by myridevlx600, on Flickr , IMG_2282 by myridevlx600, on Flickr, starter2.0kw and new parts by myridevlx600, on Flickr, I soldered the wire to the new solenoid terminal by myridevlx600, on Flickr, old parts from starter by myridevlx600, on Flickr, Thanks again for the help you saved me a lot of money .

Oldie but a Goodie.

I had the dreaded "car will not shut off" syndrome. Scared the poop out of me, thank god I had a wrench in the car to disconnect the neg wire. Wow, scary.

Situation: I parked and did not like where I was in the red so I decide to move it back, started her and it kept cranking even after the start. I tried to shut if off but no joy just cranking like a crazy fool car.

Funny enough after my errand, I reconnected it and she started fine.

Went to Oriely's picked up the universal Starter Repair kit, $38 later, about 2 hours, VOILA, all is well again. Funny enough, I parked in the garage, did not like the position and when I tried to start prior to replacement she did not crank until the second time.

When I disassembled it, YEAP, the solenoid side arced inside the plunger rim and terminal. The battery side was thin as a paper.

I was hoping it wasn't the switch but I got it just in case, time to go return it and get my $70 back :). I know I know, should have replaced it too but it ain't broken so why fix it :). I am a cheap old basturd :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom