Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AZ, NM

69C843EA-64B4-4122-9E67-E5E66011D119.jpeg

90701BE3-1DAF-48BD-AC58-1A43B49483B3.jpeg

929D3F3B-FC0E-4609-9578-BF7EAEF147FF.jpeg

5F569142-A1E7-4560-B605-0DC9F635DA46.jpeg

276CBB9D-46F6-4C6B-ACCC-F07CEDD65C6C.jpeg

Great write up my friend. Turns out I'm about 150 miles from there, so easily doable on a weekend trip.

What else is down there to do? Are there other backwoods routes we can kill a day or two doing? Any mountain biking if you know?

I’m not sure on the wheeling, I just use the cruiser to get to my camp area. There are short mountain biking trails on the other side of the dam. It’s pretty hilly and rocky for Kansas. You could bike on the trail in either direction from the campsite, it’s just not “kosher.” But I’ve yet to see a ranger out there.

A bit further south by Pawhuska, OK are some cool cabins made by the CCC and WPA in the 30’s. You can stay in cabins, camp, or stay in yurts (not completed yet.) Very pretty area with lots of mountain bike trails. It’s called Osage Hills State Park.

If you ever go to Elk City, let me know how you like it!

No wheeling, but Maxwell Wildlife Refuge/McPherson County Lake are also really cool. Elk and buffalo and a good nature trail. Campsites right on the lake.

Do I spy a Volvo Amazon?
. Yup! 1968 all original one owner from new !! He just Turned 76 years old and with Parkinson’s can no longer drive, so I am now the second proud owner with every single service record since the first moment he ever took delivery, he also kept track of gas mileage and oil changes religiously. Came with a trunk full of points plugs condensers engine oil and tons of period literature.

. Yup! 1968 all original one owner from new !! He just Turned 76 years old and with Parkinson’s can no longer drive, so I am now the second proud owner with every single service record since the first moment he ever took delivery, he also kept track of gas mileage and oil changes religiously. Came with a trunk full of points plugs condensers engine oil and tons of period literature.

Holy cow! Whatta score. Enjoy!

Thought these pics where up in this thread, but I didn't see them :)

Started by getting my rig ready to cross the Cascades and Rockies in the dead of winter. Lots of warm clothes, blankets and extra dog food just in case, but we would also be sleeping in the truck for a couple nights. Also note, that while easier to pack the storage box before screwing the top down, you may have trouble getting some things out. haha

After a day of near white out driving across the Trans Canada, we stayed our first night in Golden. They had a polar bear pelt on the wall, so we knew the adventure was well under way. Ultimately got up to the parks and did some snowshoeing, cross country skiing, as well as some general couple time.
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG

Last edited:
After leaving Banff area we headed down through the Kootenays and then back south. But we of course had to hit a secret hot spring in Eastern BC. It was wonderful as we slept in the truck about a 10 min drive away. By the time I had scraped the ice off the interior of the truck from our breath, and gotten the dog fed all warmth was lost and stiffness had set in. The hot spring was just what the doctor ordered.

One more lesson learned here. My spare water on the bumper froze solid and was of no use to me.
IMG_3117.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3146.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG

Last edited:
Did a 45 mile backpack in Olympic Park when the entire PNW was on fire in Sept. Cruiser mostly played shuttle duty and the heavy lifting was done by our legs.

Cruiser shot is of Vancouver Island across the Straight of Juan De Fuca from Olympic Park.

IMG_5298.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5149.JPG

Last edited:
After abusing our bodies, we enjoyed some morning celebration beers then off to the beach for some R&R. In addition to some improved personal grooming the Missourian I was showing around needed a shot from Cape Flattery at the NW corner of the lower 48.
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, it just celebrated its 17th birthday.
I’m in the process of designing mine to build this summer. So many ideas out there. Do you have a build thread anywhere?

I’m in the process of designing mine to build this summer. So many ideas out there. Do you have a build thread anywhere?

Nope, no build thread on the trailer. It was built mainly from mail order plans, ideas out of magazines and good old creativity. I have some old pictures of the build and the paper plans, etc, but not much more. We were camping and exploring and "overlanding" in that thing long before any of this was so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom