When is “coral” not “coral”? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not OEM, seatbeltplanet.com offers similar eyes for $10 a pair. They won’t be exact, but will be closer than just bolting later style belts to the floor, as was done to my truck years ago.

Not OEM, seatbeltplanet.com offers similar eyes for $10 a pair. They won’t be exact, but will be closer than just bolting later style belts to the floor, as was done to my truck years ago.

My 45 still has the plugs in the tub. I never looked to see if those were threaded holes.

They should be threaded under the plugs. Odd thing was when I pulled Annie's plugs to clean the threads, they weren't metric, iirc

They should be threaded under the plugs. Odd thing was when I pulled Annie's plugs to clean the threads, they weren't metric, iirc

Like the block plugs.

Typically, seat belt hardware back in the ‘60s was 7/16-20 thread. I seem to recall that was mandated by US DOT to be a “standard” for seatbelt hardware.

I always thought that was a bit rude, to force these metric car manufacturers to tool up for inch spec threads.

And then recently I did the math. The key bit is that 1 mm = .040”.

7/16” = .4375
11 mm = .44

20 turns per inch means each turn = .050”
.050” = 1.25 mm per turn

So 7/16-20 English thread is so freaking close to M11x1.25 that it is interchangeable. I’ve tested it both ways. So yes, the threaded holes are inch standard, and they are also metric.

Will be interested to see, and to know who you got them from.

I finally got around to opening my seat covers and foam today. They look coral to me. Smell nice too.

9DB2B5CD-0F58-474B-A223-1EF858FF6220.jpeg

I finally got around to opening my seat covers and foam today. They look coral to me. Smell nice too.
Those look nice, more “coral” than the sample I have so far. I’ve got a sample coming Monday from a different source. Looking forward to comparing, and sharing who has what.

Last edited:
Sample #2 arrived today, much more what I was expecting.

I didn’t want to name the first vendor and give a bad review until I knew that something better was available. If everyone’s “coral” looked brown, then so be it.

But now that I’ve got a comparison, it’s fair to name them. Bear in mind that it is really hard to show this in a photograph, our eyes are much better at this kind of thing than cameras are. Even so, the original scraps (especially the wrinkled one) are obviously in the same color palette as the new large sample, and the first brownish sample is obviously not.

F49F9A2D-C1D0-4D32-A577-21713DF71C5F.jpeg

Sample #1 - Cruiser Corps - really nice, heavy vinyl. Grain is a bit on the large side, color is very much a brownish, buckskin color. Good quality stuff, but the appearance is not really close to original.

Sample #2 - SOR - not quite as heavy as #1, but still much heavier and better material than the original. Grain is very close, color is great. My original scraps might tend a tiny bit more toward the pink end of the spectrum, but considering we are looking at 50+ year old cheap vinyl, it is probably as close as you can find.

Last edited:
Sample #2 arrived today, much more what I was expecting.

I didn’t want to name the first vendor and give a bad review until I knew that something better was available. If everyone’s “coral” looked brown, then so be it.

But now that I’ve got a comparison, it’s fair to name them. Bear in mind that it is really hard to show this in a photograph, our eyes are much better at this kind of thing. Even so, the original scraps (especially the wrinkled one) are obviously in the same color palette as the new large sample, and the first brownish sample is obviously not.

View attachment 1642524

Sample #1 - Cruiser Corps - really nice, heavy vinyl. Grain is a bit on the large side, color is very much a brownish, buckskin color. Good quality stuff, but the appearance is not really close to original.

Sample #2 - SOR - not quite as heavy as #1, but still much heavier and better material than the original. Grain is very close, color is great. My original scraps might tend a small bit toward the pink end of the spectrum, but considering we are looking at 50+ year old cheap vinyl, it is probably as close as you can find.
My vinyl also came from SOR. Very pleased. @ClemsonCruiser has a thread around here with this set on a 1965.

I don’t see why not. C Corps calls it coral, so you can too. Maybe the differenc I’m reporting here is fake news...

I’m kidding. It’s all good. Glad you did the homework that I didn’t

Are those “coral” covers for GOAT? I think the browner tone will look awesome with the GOAT’s complexion.

Are those “coral” covers for GOAT? I think the browner tone will look awesome with the GOAT’s complexion.

No. I’m having my Spring Green 1968 seats done with material from CC

If it were just personal preference, I like the brown vinyl from C Corps better - it’s a nice color and superior quality. But if the goal is to look like original, the SOR stuff is a better match.

If it were just personal preference, I like the brown vinyl from C Corps better - it’s a nice color and superior quality. But if the goal is to look like original, the SOR stuff is a better match.

Yeah my year 40 didn’t even come with coral so I’m going renegade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom