When is “coral” not “coral”? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
As I get my ‘64 FST closer to roadworthy, I’m beginning to look ahead to the cosmetic refresh. Since I’m not trying to go for total concours correct, things like color choices are on my mind. And some of these things are coming up sooner than later.

Latest example - I’m going to need seatbelts very soon, before I can really start driving it for its mechanical testing. And I’m thinking about not going with red, as I suspect that might be visually jarring. But before I make that decision, I wanted to try to get an idea of how red belts might look with coral seats. So I contacted one of the well-known Cruiser vendors and asked for a sample of their coral vinyl.

When it arrived the other day, I was a bit surprised to see that it was not what I think of as “coral”, but was a very normal buckskin color. I compared it to one of the scraps I pulled off one of my seats and found it very different.

Is this the closest we can get to the original? Since I don’t expect to do everything stock, I can easily live with this color - in fact I like it a lot. But it doesn’t look like “coral” to me.

I have requested a sample from another vendor, but have not received a response yet. Will be curious to see how it compares.

CE6219ED-C47E-4866-9B26-93BAB277FBD2.jpeg

Yeah, the 25 color is obviously too red. I went through pages of Destin’s thread to look at his seats that he got back when Shane was around, and they look closer to my sample. The inside of that sample was from a seam and so it has never seen daylight. My wife washed it up and I took another picture.

0498E251-BFBE-46C3-AB83-876DD88A2696.jpeg

And that will look great with red belts.

Belts are cheap. I’m going to hedge my bets for now and go with pewter belts, can change to red later with ease. I’m buying original snap hook style belts, so changing them is a matter of seconds.

In the mean time, need to look around for some vinyl that matches better than the sample I was sent.

I have some oem red belts!!
Those would be great for show or display use, but I’m not sure I’d want to trust 50+ year old belts for normal use. With regards to original stuff, I’m more interested in more obvious bits like the early small running boards @whitey45 mentioned early on my build thread.
660D2A4C-F830-492C-A087-DBCE45FE5938.gif

Yeah, the 25 color is obviously too red. I went through pages of Destin’s thread to look at his seats that he got back when Shane was around, and they look closer to my sample. The inside of that sample was from a seam and so it has never seen daylight. My wife washed it up and I took another picture.

View attachment 1634775

Interesting. The original piece you have there has a much coarser grain than any other original coral seat covers I’ve seeN. Maybe it’s just the photo.

Looks identical to my LV seats that I just striped and threw away. Now I think I should have saved a sample.

Hmmm. I just received a coral seat cover set last week. Have not opened the box yet. Now I’m curious as to exactly what they look like....

Belts are cheap. I’m going to hedge my bets for now and go with pewter belts, can change to red later with ease. I’m buying original snap hook style belts, so changing them is a matter of seconds.

In the mean time, need to look around for some vinyl that matches better than the sample I was sent.

Where are you having your belts made? I need some for my FJ45

Where are you having your belts made? I need some for my FJ45
Ordered mine from seatbeltplanet.com as they were the only outfit I found doing the snap-hook type. I also had to order the hook eyes as my truck’s originals are MIA.

Ordered mine from seatbeltplanet.com as they were the only outfit I found doing the snap-hook type. I also had to order the hook eyes as my truck’s originals are MIA.

Superb. Thank you. Ordered some red ones.

Where did you get the hook eyes? OEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom