Valve cover gasket tips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have the oem part # for the bolt washers? I already have the new gaskets and spark plug tubes...
Here is the Lexus OEM diagram...it has all the part numbers.

Attachments

• 2UZFE Cylinder Head Info.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 419
Wasn't my photo... but I can answer. Per the FSM, you only need it at the front corners (near 2 and 9 on the outline above) There is a sharp corner where the flat part of the gasket turns up 90 degrees to go around the cam covers at the front of the head. Just put a tiny dab of it there in those corners.
Wasn't my photo... but I can answer. Per the FSM, you only need it at the front corners (near 2 and 9 on the outline above) There is a sharp corner where the flat part of the gasket turns up 90 degrees to go around the cam covers at the front of the head. Just put a tiny dab of it there in those corners.

Hi, do you mean you put a small dab on the front of drivers side cover where i highlighted in red? Or highlighted in green?
Is it the same on the passenger side?
Thanks!

0158C6F9-FAAA-4A64-83DE-49E106E31E46.jpeg

Hi, do you mean you put a small dab on the front of drivers side cover where i highlighted in red? Or highlighted in green?
Thanks!

View attachment 1678725
According to the videos I've watched and what I've red, its the area highlighted in red

I’ve hit my first problem.
This harness cuts across the valve cover and I can’t figure out how to make room.
I don’t see a clip of that I can remove to move that harness wire out of way.
Can anyone help me please?

F2541AD3-A421-49E5-BF90-5BD0F4B24F90.jpeg

Passenger side

I just did this yesterday. I had the same issue. After about twenty minutes of maneuvering and twisting, I was able to get that hose underneath the harness wire. This allowed me to pull it underneath and towards the front of the vehicle. It took a while and I'm sure there is an easier way to do it.

When you get to the driver side, which I have not done yet, can you document everything? Hahah. I ran out of time yesterday and the drivers side looks much more intimidating.

Ah crap...passenger side is supposed to be the easy one too. My motivation to this job continues to decrease...

I just did this yesterday. I had the same issue. After about twenty minutes of maneuvering and twisting, I was able to get that hose underneath the harness wire. This allowed me to pull it underneath and towards the front of the vehicle. It took a while and I'm sure there is an easier way to do it.

When you get to the driver side, which I have not done yet, can you document everything? Hahah. I ran out of time yesterday and the drivers side looks much more intimidating.

For what it’s worth, mine were leaking on the 01. I had my mechanic tighten em, and it fixed the problem.

My symptoms were a burning oil smell at idle in the parking lot. No oil on driveway. Good luck!

This is me real.time right now. Can't move that PS harness out of the way.

This is me real.time right now. Can't move that PS harness out of the way.

Ok so I had to remove the blue clips on passenger side, I’m sure that’s the ones that go to the fuel injectors.
I was able to pull the harness towards back bottom side with all the injectors plugs removed.
Once I got that out of the way it was easy.
It took me about 4 hours because I spent a lot of time cleaning them.

Thanks!

View attachment 1678725
You are correct, it's the area you highlighted in red in your drawing. There is a 90 degree bend upward there, dab a little in the "V' of the bend.

Ok so I just posted a video on YouTube with tips on removing them.
I didn’t do a step by step. Look it up if you’d like, my screen name is FLJ23.

You are correct, it's the area you highlighted in red in your drawing. There is a 90 degree bend upward there, dab a little in the "V' of the bend.
I was the original poster for that photo and on my 98 it was on both the red and green spots. Only the red spots are shown in the FSM (page EM-66) but I was matching what was on mine (presumably from factory). I also ran a fine finger tip bead post install along the very back outside edge of the valve (cylinder head) cover.

Ok so I just posted a video on YouTube with tips on removing them.
I didn’t do a step by step. Look it up if you’d like, my screen name is FLJ23.

Awesome thanks! I'll look it up. Any pointers for changing the drivers side?

According to the fsm the valve cover bolts need to be 66 in.lbf which is 5.5 ft lbf.
I had a torque screwdriver that went up to 40 in.lbf so I used that and gave it about half a turn more til I felt it snug.
Wondering should torque them down more?

F4F5F7C8-6597-4B81-B1A8-E108FA8C9F8F.jpeg

Maybe a little locktite?? Or is that a bad idea? I would think it would be better than over-torquing them...based on all of the loose valve cover bolts, a little locktite might help.....?

According to the fsm the valve cover bolts need to be 66 in.lbf which is 5.5 ft lbf.
I had a torque screwdriver that went up to 40 in.lbf so I used that and gave it about half a turn more til I felt it snug.
Wondering should torque them down more?

View attachment 1679568

No

The reason people report the bolts coming loose is because the gasket dries out and shrinks.

If you over torque the bolts they can break off.

The bolts really only need to be snug and they should be good for another 10 years.

I'm getting ready to do this, so thought I would add a little to the tech on this.
Details from the FSM (EM-67), including exactly where to apply FIPG shown below. Many people seem to skip step 10 if they are not leaking. Seems to me like an easy "while you're in there and the tube of FIPG is out" kind of a thing though. YMMV.

Note that the torque spec for the valve cover bolts is 53 INCH-lbf. (NOT ft-lbf)
The torque spec listed a few posts above is actually for the bearing cap and not the valve cover.

upload_2018-4-23_14-35-26.png

upload_2018-4-23_14-35-0.png

Last edited:
Figured out how to remove my duplicate pictures. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom