Builds Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Baby steps for the #LX45 . Studs for the tailgate hinges are pressed into place and the panel is now tack welded in its final home. Now to make the tailgate.....

Can’t wait to see what your going to do with the tailgate. Maybe similar to an FJ45? Or an fst fj40?

Hopefully I will have something soon.

Basically just 1/8" aluminum with the a U-shape top rail to give it some structure. The latches are going to be 90 degree locking toggle clamps that go to the bed post. Small stainless cables with a few tricks to set the fold down position(s). License plate in the middle. Three hinges to spread out the load since it's kinda wide. It will fold down so that the hidden bed drawer can slide out over it. The drawer will be where the upper part of the 2pc aluminum hard doors are stored when not being used.

Would be cool if you could mount the toggle clamps on the inside of the bed hidden from view?

I think the external latch and tailgate cable will make it look a little 'older'. Hopefully a little similar to the early hi-lux beds or whatever.

The latch can't go on the inside really anyways, the drawer will need to slider over the part of the tailgate and there would not be enough clearance.

The tailgate is roughed in. It still needs a trim on the passenger and some clean up. The hinges are all mounted up and it function well. Next I need to mount up the hinges and figure out the cable system.

Only one small garage tip....

Sometimes it is worth planning ahead. I had to make a 1/2" flange for the top edge ( 1st bend ) before moving on. My press needs a flange width of about 1.25" for a 90 bend so I had to make a cut down after the bend. In order to clamp that flange I had to make it a little longer so I could get it on the edge of the table. It cost an extra inch or two of material, but it made the cut very easy to do with the jigsaw. Small win.

Details details. This is the start of the latch mount and cable system for the #LX45. The tailgate was drilled and countersunk for the screws from the back side. The little bracket for the cable is drilled and tapped to ease assembly. The locking toggle clamp bolts on top and reaches around the bed post. The cable bracket also has a counter sunk hole for the cable mount and the fastener is tig welded on the back side. I will be welding a hook latch tab to the bed post for the bail to work with....

Awesome thread. There is nothing like the feeling of fabricating things yourself. Amazing work. I look forward to seeing more.

I finished the latches for the tailgate. I made a block out of bar stock and TIG welded it to the bed post. I also got the P-side caught up to the same spot. The tailgate now holds itself up and locks in place.

I need to make the small cables that will hold the tailgate at 90 degrees when down next....

Overall, pretty happy with how it turned out.

It's a tailgate now. Still need to drill it for the plate mount, but that isn't critical right now. I need to figure out what project to tackle next on the #LX45

Still going strong. You going to put some wood on the bottom of that box? Looks like 2" material would just slide on in.

Still going strong. You going to put some wood on the bottom of that box? Looks like 2" material would just slide on in.

I've thought about it. With the planned drawer in the c-channel, I'd like the bed to the as thin as possible. I don't want to give up too much thickness in cargo space. Right now a spare tire can lay in the bed and be flush with the top.

My OCD is kicking in a little....

I added some neodymium magnets in a piece of heat shrink tubing to the tailgate cables. This makes them stick to the bed post. I hope they won't flap in the wind on the highway.....

Thinking about adding this light to the C-pillar. It mostly has white LED lights that I can wire up to be a bed work light or backup light. There are also 3 red LEDs I can use for a 3rd brake light.

I am also still trying to figure out what to do with this area. I just don't like that little gap between the fender and cowl which I guess is 'stock'. I think I am going to make a little fill panel that fills in this area completely?

My OCD is kicking in a little....

I added some neodymium magnets in a piece of heat shrink tubing to the tailgate cables. This makes them stick to the bed post. I hope they won't flap in the wind on the highway.....

Thinking about adding this light to the C-pillar. It mostly has white LED lights that I can wire up to be a bed work light or backup light. There are also 3 red LEDs I can use for a 3rd brake light.

I am also still trying to figure out what to do with this area. I just don't like that little gap between the fender and cowl which I guess is 'stock'. I think I am going to make a little fill panel that fills in this area completely?
You might want to extend the gap from the quarter panel behind it.

Killed the afternoon making this....

Now I have a place to stick the battery. Formed from one piece, lots of dimples, tig welding, and welds to three existing surfaces in the chassis. The weight is nice and low, but still forward of the rear axle. I built the tray a little larger than I needed so it could fit any group 34 battery, not just the Optima.

I need to find a little scrap of aluminum bar stock to make a hold down out of....

Should I make this hole into the air cleaner inlet?

I have considered that exact thing for the air intake. my concern was that there is a lot of dust in that area being just behind the tire and low. I'm curious to see what others think/have done.

I have considered that exact thing for the air intake. my concern was that there is a lot of dust in that area being just behind the tire and low. I'm curious to see what others think/have done.

I am also curious about that.

I could try and integrate some kind of pre-filter system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom