Looking at '98 land cruiser and have some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys first post here, I'm a jeep tj guy but I came across a '98 land cruiser that I'm interested in. It has 215k miles and they are asking 6900. I'm just wondering other than normal used car stuff what should I look for on these?

honestly I don't know. I'd offer wholesale or whatever they'll take for it before they send it off.
Plenty of others here have multitudes of 98-2002 examples. To be fair, it depends on what you want it for. Don't doubt the dealer didn't pay anything for it and will likely send it off. They don't buy a 20 year old car to make money on it, they take it to sell another. So that buy in for them is already accounted for. That makes me want to give a dealer even less for something like this.
It wouldn't be a good daily driver, but for a hobby or the weekend I'm sure it's fine for whatever you think it's worth.

Many on mud daily drive these 20 year vehicles with many more miles. Offer 5k and see what happens. Make a big deal about the miles and then walk away with a great deal.

What would make it not be good for a DD? Like I said I know nothing about these things. I know several of guys the DD 250-300k mile XJ Cherokee so I just assumed this being a Toyota ......

I don't think anyone wants to daily a 5k vehicle. It's a choice, and it's entirely yours. It could be a great vehicle. I wouldn't try to steer someone away from one.

Hey Shape! Welcome to the fray.
I have a 1998 LC that I bought in February. It's my first LC and I love it. It's got 227K on the clock and I drive it daily. I have owned a lot of cars in my life and I have to say, it is my favorite. Just something about it.
So, Slee off road has a good page that will guide you as to what to look for.
Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

If you know how to work on things and can use the search function of this website, you should be good to go. I live in Seattle where we don't deal with much snow, so for cars that have lived their life out here, we don't worry about rust. When I was searching for mine, I found a LOT of them out here that were transplanted from the east coast and had rust. The 1998 and 1999 LC's had an optional rear diff lock and it looks like the one you are looking at doesn't have it. (if it did, there would be a rotary knob down by your left knee where the side mirror switch is.) If you do a lot of off roading, that might be important to you.

This website is an amazing resource, so you have that going for you.

Hey Shape! Welcome to the fray.
I have a 1998 LC that I bought in February. It's my first LC and I love it. It's got 227K on the clock and I drive it daily. I have owned a lot of cars in my life and I have to say, it is my favorite. Just something about it.
So, Slee off road has a good page that will guide you as to what to look for.
Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

If you know how to work on things and can use the search function of this website, you should be good to go. I live in Seattle where we don't deal with much snow, so for cars that have lived their life out here, we don't worry about rust. When I was searching for mine, I found a LOT of them out here that were transplanted from the east coast and had rust. The 1998 and 1999 LC's had an optional rear diff lock and it looks like the one you are looking at doesn't have it. (if it did, there would be a rotary knob down by your left knee where the side mirror switch is.) If you do a lot of off roading, that might be important to you.

This website is an amazing resource, so you have that going for you.
Cool thanks, I take my jeep off-road but nothing too intense, just forest roads etc.

My 99 LX470 is my DD (in the winter)...great for the battleground that is Northern Virginia...

What would make it not be good for a DD? Like I said I know nothing about these things. I know several of guys the DD 250-300k mile XJ Cherokee so I just assumed this being a Toyota ......

Gas mileage is the only negative for being daily driver....if that not an issue they are good.

60052882v3_480x480_Front-e1300983014526.jpg

Unless there is something obviously wrong with it that you can't live with, the age and mileage is the last thing I would worry about. However, at $6900 it would need to be in really excellent condition, IMO

5k daily driver - this is a 100 series Land Cruiser and if you buy it for 5k, you stole it. No other vehicle is even close. Fit, finish, durability, and reliability. Check Autotrader and see how many 200k mile + LX470's and Land Cruiser's are for sale for 10k or more. How about 200 series that have over 100k and are still over 30k? Different class of vehicle all together.

Price seems fine if no major problems.

I am confused. Price seems decent assuming no major problems. Mileage is fairly low.... this is a desirable vehicle and makes an excellent DD if you take good care of it and don’t care about fuel costs. My wife and I call ours the baby tank and I am thankful to have a stout vehicle like this to keep my family safe during the week and that can still take us to the hills on the weekend. Jerryb would obviously disagree but I think that the majority here would have no problems with a cruiser over 200,000 miles. Remember this is a Toyota... you can’t even compare it to a Jeep when it comes to reliability. 300k is generally End if life for the Cherokee where the Land Cruiser is just breaking into its prime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom