Buying a 200-series - what are common repairs and would you buy an extended warranty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the $100 a month "savings" plan, use when needed, and get it back if no repairs--also because if for some reason the LC is sold or gets totaled, then the prepaid warranty is unused...

I like the $100 a month "savings" plan, use when needed, and get it back if no repairs--also because if for some reason the LC is sold or gets totaled, then the prepaid warranty is unused...
Making the point, that there are circumstances where the investment in the extended warranty can be lost.

It's not a waste of money. Yes, Land Cruisers are well built.
But parts and components can fail. They're not all made as well as the Land Cruiser.
On my FJ Cruiser Ive had brake calipers seize due to salt, and wheel bearings fail. These were covered by the extended warranty and would have cost over $2k at a dealership.
On my 4Runner I recently had a power lock actuator fail. No, it's not that costly, but the vehicles are full of parts made by other companes.
Ive never had to pay a deductible for any warranty repair.

Normally I go with the "savings" plan. I've only bought an extended warranty once in my life - that was on a dishwasher and it was $150 for 5 years and normally I wouldn't have bought it but the prior one seemed to go through a pump every 18 months at $300 a shot so I figured at $150 if it went I win and if it didn't then it was only half the cost of a motor that I had been replacing every 18 months anyway. Turns out the motor went after 18 months and I won.

I had the Nav unit go on my 2008 Acura in ~2013. Dealer wanted $3500 for the part, used pricing on wrecked vehicles was about $2k, and Acura was willing to sell me a new unit for about $2600 as a "courtesy" after I bitched. A ~$1500 warranty would have easily paid for itself in that case. FWIW I ended up taking the unit apart, determining the DVD drive was failing, and ordering a replacement part from China for $68. Most people wouldn't have the engineering skills to dismantle, debug, and make this repair though.

BTW aside from the rear DVD screen (which has been fine since the dealer performed whatever "reset" procedure they did and my kids stopped trying to push the screen open and closed by hand), the only repair I've had to make was a $4 gas door spring. However the center diff light flashes on occasion and I intend to file that with Toyota under the warranty period so if there's ever a fix or some time when the CDL/4Lo won't engage, I will hopefully qualify (even if out of warranty).

Everyone's circumstances are different, as is everyone's vehicle experience. I completely agree that Toyota has actuarials which demonstrate that across all vehicle and warranty sales they should make money on the extended warranties even if the buyers negotiate the lowest possible cost. It's an insurance policy, and if you're planning to buy 100 or 1000 Land Cruisers, you absolutely should never buy the extended warranty because the number and cost of repairs will regress to the mean (average). What the extended warranty protects you against is (a) the possibility your single vehicle is a statistical outlier, and/or (b) your ability to fund a big repair on the off chance that you are an outlier or that simply your big repair happens early in the life of ownership before you've had a chance to put enough savings away to cover it.

Remember boys and girls, if statistics were always true there would never be a financial market crash or multiple floods in a 500 year flood plane within a few years of each other because they're statistically unlikely, but in the real world statistics are just a way to make math lie.

I had the Nav unit go on my 2008 Acura in ~2013. Dealer wanted $3500 for the part, used pricing on wrecked vehicles was about $2k, and Acura was willing to sell me a new unit for about $2600 as a "courtesy" after I bitched. A ~$1500 warranty would have easily paid for itself in that case. FWIW I ended up taking the unit apart, determining the DVD drive was failing, and ordering a replacement part from China for $68. Most people wouldn't have the engineering skills to dismantle, debug, and make this repair though.

I had the nav screen replaced on my 2013 Landcruiser. Fortunately, it was under warranty. I would hate to have seen how much that would have cost if I had to pay out of pocket.

PM'd you about undercoating. I'm local.

For future readers...

Check threads on the cam tower leak which is cropping up in LCs & Tundras at 70k-100k miles (or less). Repair cost is 3k-5k.

I think you can get an extended warranty any time before the factory one runs out. So, you don't have to do it the day you buy the car.

Last edited:
My cam towers were leaking along with the front cover and covered under the CPO warranty, just as bad, my steering rack was also leaking.

Both cost over $6,000, billed to the warranty. My cost $0.00!

There was also a few other minor things covered under warranty. Fan motor, steering rack flex shaft. Around another $1,000 about....

Best $1,800 spent.

Bought my 2015 LX CPOed at 2 years old. I drove out with 4 year unlimited miles bumper to bumper Lexus CPO warranty hope I never need it! If I need it it will probably be in five years ;)

Bought my first 2015 LC a week ago. I have to say, I purchased at CarMax SOLELY for the extended warranty. LC had 50k+ on the odometer. The extended warranty was 5yr (from my purchase date)/ 150k miles. Cost was $2100. $50 deductible every time I go, BUT... the parts and labor and then under a separate warranty for up to 2 additional years.

Its essentially a bumper to bumper warranty like I bought it new.

I hope I never need it, but one bad break in 5 years and this is paid for. If and extended warranty is what you want, I would look into CarMax, though their LC selection is weak and they go fast.

Bought my first 2015 LC a week ago. I have to say, I purchased at CarMax SOLELY for the extended warranty. LC had 50k+ on the odometer. The extended warranty was 5yr (from my purchase date)/ 150k miles. Cost was $2100. $50 deductible every time I go, BUT... the parts and labor and then under a separate warranty for up to 2 additional years.

I hope I never need it, but one bad break in 5 years and this is paid for. If and extended warranty is what you want, I would look into CarMax, though their LC selection is weak and they go fast.

What kind of mods void this warranty?

Hi All,

Let me reiterate the importance of an extended warranty, especially if you are decided to keep your 200.

My story starts as we purchased our 2011 200 series about 2 years ago with 79k miles. We purchased the extended warranty plan which covers drivetrain, suspension, engine up to 100k miles.

Fast forward to 2024, we are at about 96k and the below have failed

-Cam Tower Oil Seals (Excessive oil burning) - Very costly repair
-Blown Shocks

Since we are below the 100k mark and still valid, all the work was done above were covered and performed by Toyota using OEM parts.

I feel that if you're in the market for a 200 and have a chance to purchase an extended warranty, I think you should go for it!

Planning to keep an eye out for my radiator too as this seems to be a failure part on the 200.

:cheers:

PS this is the warranty I purchased and why I purchased from Carmax as well...

Shocks seem like a wear item.
agreed. Great if they covered it though @Rpreme

Years ago I got talked into a BMW for my wife as it had a "bumper to bumper" warranty for 4 yrs/50k from new. Specifically, the salesman said "you will only pay for tires and gas." Fast forward to 3 yrs/38k and the battery failed. Dealership tried sticking me with a $500 bill. I pushed back - increasingly hard. Eventually, they relented but it could have been due to them trying to build a relationship (apparently this dealer has a good reputation). In any event, I now agree batteries, bulbs, shocks, tires, wiper blades, and (some) fluids are most often considered consumable items. But as presented, I took them to task for going against what was told to me at the time of sale.

agreed. Great if they covered it though @Rpreme

Years ago I got talked into a BMW for my wife as it had a "bumper to bumper" warranty for 4 yrs/50k from new. Specifically, the salesman said "you will only pay for tires and gas." Fast forward to 3 yrs/38k and the battery failed. Dealership tried sticking me with a $500 bill. I pushed back - increasingly hard. Eventually, they relented but it could have been due to them trying to build a relationship (apparently this dealer has a good reputation). In any event, I now agree batteries, bulbs, shocks, tires, wiper blades, and (some) fluids are most often considered consumable items. But as presented, I took them to task for going against what was told to me at the time of sale.
Shocks seem like a wear item.

Be careful when purchasing, as all warranties are contract based typically through a 3rd party. The extended warranty I purchased spelled out specifically (Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain). So all components and associated parts covered in the contract were covered, even if they were considered wear and tear items.

A quick search on CarMax warranty shows non genuine parts can be used.
- While there are positives to purchasing coverage through an independent warranty provider, you’ll also find downsides. Neither third-party providers nor CarMax warranty options guarantee the use of an automaker’s genuine car parts or certified dealer technicians when repairs are needed.
Comparing quotes from independent warranty providers can make it easier to find the best option for your vehicle and situation. -

That aspect alone makes this warranty for anything more than a basic car something I would not want. Rather put the $2100 in an ETF and pull the money when you need it. Odds over multiple car ownerships of Toyota's is that you are ahead of yourself. The only reason IMO to get a warranty is if you cannot afford the repair cost, i.e. have zero savings. In that case I suggest you better buy a Toyota Yaris and figure out how to make more money.

It's totally out of character for us and we've never had a service contract on anything, car or otherwise.
However we got the Toyota Platinum Service Contract for 8 years 75000 miles for $2800.00 starting 11/19/2019.
The LC had more electronics on it than any car we've ever owned so our concern wasn't over mechanical issues but electronics.
From reading this thread perhaps our worries shouldn't be about electronics LOL!

So far we haven't had any service issues.
Knock on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom