Installed: 16x7 wheels from US Wheel with 255/85r16 KM2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a followup to my older post requesting opinions about wheels and tires. I read every post I could find about wheels that fit, but still felt the options that actually work without spacers were very few.

These are custom steel 16x7 crawlers with 2.5" backspacing from US Wheel. With backspacing less than 3.25", they told me the wheel rim would need to be reversed on the center. I was fine with that.

I specifically asked about caliper clearance and Virgil at US Wheel insisted they had no issues on the 16" wheel. When they arrived a week later, I immediately bolted it up to check clearance. It didn't clear. In their defense, I'm running the 4 runner caliper and the FJ-60 caliper may clear just fine. As others have experienced, the problem was the result of dimpled wheel cutouts. I removed about 1/8-3/16" from one of the ribs on each caliper with an angle grinder.

Wheel weight (unpainted): 27.5lbs
Installed weight with 255KM2: 84.5lbs
Weight of removed tire and wheel: 70.0 lbs (33x12.5 on 15x10 aluminum)
WP_000330.jpg

This is what the calipers looked like after grinding. I took enough off to clear plus a bit more in case the wheel flexes a little.

Because I ordered the wheels with custom backspacing, they arrived unpainted. I debated about paint vs. powder coat and decided on paint. It was much more work than I expected. It took a long time to degrease the wheels and remove the baked on antispatter. I used an epoxy primer followed by an acrylic urethane in gloss black.
WP_000289.jpg
WP_000292.jpg
WP_000299.jpg

Passenger side front wheel mounted up. Didn't scrap any paint off the wheel or caliper. Good.
WP_000321.jpg

With the old setup I was running a 1/4" spacer on the front wheels and none on the back with the 33x12.5s. You can see the old vs. new width.

I had a forklift available, so I checked clearance at full flex. This was about 20" high on the outside of the tire. The spring type is unknown, but I'm guessing they give at least 2" maybe 3" of lift. No contact anywhere up front.
WP_000322.jpg
WP_000323.jpg
WP_000316.jpg

The old tires were purchased new by me in 1993 or 1994 and have been on two different landcruisers and one suburban to Alaska and back. The sidewalls looked great, but I didn't want to put my family on them anymore.

Not sure if I like the new look. I was worried about handling, but I'm pleasantly surprised. The KM2s grip well on the wet asphalt. The A/Ts wanted to go sideways much easier. The tire noise is equal or less. I did notice a little more body roll in fast turns. No trips in snow, ice or mud yet.
WP_000307.jpg
WP_000328.jpg

Looks great!

I actually like the change and think the black rims look great on a light colored truck. I have been debating this constantly as I love the retro look of my stock wheels (just fit the truck) but the options for 15" tires is pretty limited and I have pretty much fallen in love with the Cooper ST MAXX tire, which alas only comes in a 16" smallest.

For my 8B4 midnight blue cruiser I think I am going to have to stick with something silver/chrome.

Bumping this old thread, because it's the only one I can find of someone running a 16x7 steel wheel with 2.5" backspacing. I can't find any steel wheels manufactured at scale with these specs, so may need to custom order them. Have they held up well for you? When you switched, did you notice any change in handling with the additional ~2" of track width?

Factory Toyota 70 series wheels are 16 x7 I believe. Beno can get some for you I think.
They might be less than custom made...

Yes, but the backspacing on the factory 70 series wheels is 3.5". If I could get the factory 70 series in a 2.5" backspacing, I'd jump on it. I bet the design of a 2.5" backspaced wheel doesn't meet Toyota reliability standards; I'm assuming stronger structure with the mounting surface in the middle of the wheel, minimizing torque that can be applied to the weld when running on the edge of the tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom