7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Santa Fe or Taos would be a great last stopping point the night before Silverton. Both have grown up a bit but there is still cool stuff in the downtown areas. If you want to spoil the wife before she spends the next several days on the trail, check out Ten Thousand Waves and get a room. It's a hot springs and spa outside of Santa Fe. A little spendy but your wife might thank you. Also in Santa Fe check out the Flying Tortilla Resteraunt. Mom and Pop diner that has been family owned since the 60's with a New Mexican influence. Get green chile on whatever you order. Not your healthy spinach and kale omelette type joint, just good diner type food. Best breakfast in town!
If you were to choose Taos, check out the Taos Inn. Again, not cheap but pretty cool. In the heart of downtown and one of the original motels in Taos that has been nicely updated. Still has a cool vintage feel.

Thank you for the Ten Thousand Waves suggestion! The GF loved the spa; even had a massage myself. Which was nice after the last leg from Austin. The food here was incredible!!!

We decided to scrap our plans, stay the morning here and also check out Santa Fe as well. Now we need to figure out tonight. Anyone camping near Durango or Pagosa Springs? Or have suggestions?

Thank you for the Ten Thousand Waves suggestion! The GF loved the spa; even had a massage myself. Which was nice after the last leg from Austin. The food here was incredible!!!

We decided to scrap our plans, stay the morning here and also check out Santa Fe as well. Now we need to figure out tonight. Anyone camping near Durango or Pagosa Springs? Or have suggestions?

40 miles west of Pagosa and 20 miles east of Durango is a town called Bayfield. If you head north from Bayfield there is a lake called Vallecito Reservoir. There are several Forest Service campgrounds along the eastern side of the lake (along hwy 603) and a big one at the north end of the road if you take the road that goes around the west side of the lake (hwy 501 and then turn left on 500 after passing the lake). I stayed at the one at the end of the road (the west side road) just a couple weeks ago. During the week you should be able to get a site without reservations as there were several available on the Wed and Thu nights when I was there. It's a little bit of a detour but not bad, and a nice campground (if a little crowded). For driving timing, the campgrounds are a 60 - 90 minute drive from Pagosa Springs. They are also about a 40 minute drive to/from Durango.

There's also a really awesome primitive BLM camp spot on Navajo lake. It's only accessable by 4x4 and you would likely have the entire beach to yourself. PM if your interested and I can give you coordinates.

We are Riverside Campground which is north of Durango on the way to Silverton. Decent, there are a lot of people though. They have showers and laundry here as well. The campgrounds on Lake Haviland looked really neat. Next year we will stay there and fish until time to head to HIH8!

Also some good food joints in Durango.

Compelled to post an "en route" progress update with everyone else here. Last minute business trip to OH (have to pay for the truck upgrades somehow) - then back home to Denver. Leave first thing tomorrow with @maxse01 ... sampling the Midwest beer we can't get in CO.

Safe travels everyone ...
IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
IMG_6142.JPG

Hmm given this construction, are we better off heading to Denver over I-70 to Grand Junction then down 550 to Ouray? Any local help much appreciated!
Sorry, a day late and a dollar short! I've been out of service for quite sometime. I'd suggest going to Lake City and running Cinnamon Pass over to Animas Forks, then down to Silverton if you are not pulling a trailer. If you want to avoid dirt on the drive in, point towards South Fork and come up to Silverton through Durango.

Well our luck ran out - started to hear exhaust tick somewhere in Kansas and progressively got worse. Currently at Gunnison muffler shop and thankfully they could take us right in and it turned out to only be a flex coupling.

Onward soon to Ouray!

Last edited:
40 miles west of Pagosa and 20 miles east of Durango is a town called Bayfield. If you head north from Bayfield there is a lake called Vallecito Reservoir. There are several Forest Service campgrounds along the eastern side of the lake (along hwy 603) and a big one at the north end of the road if you take the road that goes around the west side of the lake (hwy 501 and then turn left on 500 after passing the lake). I stayed at the one at the end of the road (the west side road) just a couple weeks ago. During the week you should be able to get a site without reservations as there were several available on the Wed and Thu nights when I was there. It's a little bit of a detour but not bad, and a nice campground (if a little crowded). For driving timing, the campgrounds are a 60 - 90 minute drive from Pagosa Springs. They are also about a 40 minute drive to/from Durango.
Thanks. Destination set!

San Diego crew just passed a white Land Cruiser on Highway 160 in Arizona. Which one of you guys is it?

Thanks for all the suggestions! We made it to Pagosa Springs, are loving the town. We'll probably just find a pullout nearby.

In Grand Junction as well... had major rain storm at Great Basin park last night and got soaked! I needed those boots that I keep forgetting to purchase before tomorrow... so we decided to stay at the Days Inn for a warm shower and a comfortable bed before heading into Silverton.
Tom

Thx @mattafact we ended up going there and sat out on the rooftop deck with a couple heaping pulled pork sandwiches and an IPA (for me ha) - food and beer never tasted so good after 2200 miles to get here!

Met a few fellow 100s participants here at 4J it's raining pretty good right now, but we're dry and cozy in our ARB awning room- hope it clears up in the morning - see you all in Silverton!

Thx @mattafact we ended up going there and sat out on the rooftop deck with a couple heaping pulled pork sandwiches and an IPA (for me ha) - food and beer never tasted so good after 2200 miles to get here!

Met a few fellow 100s participants here at 4J it's raining pretty good right now, but we're dry and cozy in our ARB awning room- hope it clears up in the morning - see you all in Silverton!

We have just missed you guys. We had a late dinner up there as well with a couple tasty ales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom