Need help with cracked key fobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I might have to try out that Amazon one. I like not having to go get a new key cut, like I'd have to do with the eBay one.
With the key portion being removable from the shell, I could easily see this shell being cast from metal. Maybe I need to look into some sort of DIY solution, I already know how to cast stuff in non-metallic materials, might as well learn metal casting :)

Keep in mind a metal shell would block the remote signal. You'd need a rather precise metal insert for the key blade with a radio-transparent shell (IE plastic). If you can be that precise with metal casting, DIY, I think I'll need to take some lessons from you! :) That'd be really neat, but I'm not sure how you'd make it happen in a DIY setting.

Just noticed that this replacement key shell where the key does not need a locksmith is back in stock.
Amazon.com: STAUBER Best Toyota Key Shell for Land Cruiser and FJ Cruiser / NO LOCKSMITH REQUIRED! Save money using your old key and chip! - Black: Automotive
Definitely worth trying it out. I already had ordered the key blank and then started to look for a lock smith etc.
Now, the locksmith may wait.
I saw this thread and ordered one. It came today and I switched out housings. It is definitely sturdier than the OEM but is feels cheap, and it is a shiny plastic. My screw was almost completely stripped in my factory key. I will use this until it breaks but my next one will be the YotaMD case. They look like they are made of a decent material.

Wanted to update I got one of the Amazon Stauber kits too, swapped it out last week and it took me longer to find my tiny screwdriver head than to do the replacement.

Like said, feels slightly sturdier than the OEM - because it's got 4 screws instead of 1 and the housing is slightly squared so it feels beefier in the hand. Since the key not cast into the plastic on this one and gets clamped in the new shell, we shall see how it holds up to the twisting action and leverage from the key portion over time.

I've been using the YotaMD fob for about 3 weeks. Working great. I couldn't be happier. The key fob was the weakest part of my 100. Feels good to have the problem solved. Just ordered a 2nd one. Red this time.

Wanted to update I got one of the Amazon Stauber kits too, swapped it out last week and it took me longer to find my tiny screwdriver head than to do the replacement.

Like said, feels slightly sturdier than the OEM - because it's got 4 screws instead of 1 and the housing is slightly squared so it feels beefier in the hand. Since the key not cast into the plastic on this one and gets clamped in the new shell, we shall see how it holds up to the twisting action and leverage from the key portion over time.

The kit I received came with the screws and a tiny tool ( L shaped screw driver) to turn the screw. I broke open my LC key and moved the innards to the Stauber shell. But, my observation is the same as yours. Though, the key feels sturdier than OEM I am not sure if the key will hold very long. I used three thin plastic shims that the kit came with to maximize the key's contact with the shell. I am going to use the newly assembled key for the next few days and see what happens. I will be always carrying my other key for a while.

I will report back again on this key topic

A question for those following this thread and/or using the Yota key. The product page shows the Yota shell fob held in close proximity to a Toyota key. Where do you get this ordinary key ? Will any auto locksmith have these in stock ?

I assume the plastic part of this dumb key is NOT hollow and merely functions for easy holding and handling to twist the key. If this plastic piece was all solid this would be very reliable and withstand all the twisting forces. I have also seen full metal keys on some page of this forum. That would also make the key permanent for life as there is nothing to break.

If this Stauber shell does not work as expected, I need to switch to the Yota key and have a permanent non breakable key

A question for those following this thread and/or using the Yota key. The product page shows the Yota shell fob held in close proximity to a Toyota key. Where do you get this ordinary key ? Will any auto locksmith have these in stock ?

I assume the plastic part of this dumb key is NOT hollow and merely functions for easy holding and handling to twist the key. If this plastic piece was all solid this would be very reliable and withstand all the twisting forces. I have also seen full metal keys on some page of this forum. That would also make the key permanent for life as there is nothing to break.

If this Stauber shell does not work as expected, I need to switch to the Yota key and have a permanent non breakable key

The plastic part of the dumb key is solid and you would have to do something pretty severe to break it. I got mine off Amazon. I also have a metal key made from a blank the locksmith had with him. For some reason I prefer the key with the plastic, but both seem to work equally well.

I had that thick plastic/rubbery key from the Previous Owner. You can buy them from the dealer or online. I think it feels stout and I prefer it to the basic metal key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom