Key wont turn! Need help fast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am supposed to be at work right now but my wife needs the 2006 LX right now. She went out to start it and the key would not turn in the ignition and all of the windows and the sunroof all opened at the same time. I am assuming this is security related. It is winter here and I need to get the windows up at least. Has anyone seen this before? Please help!

I am supposed to be at work right now but my wife needs the 2006 LX right now. She went out to start it and the key would not turn in the ignition and all of the windows and the sunroof all opened at the same time. I am assuming this is security related. It is winter here and I need to get the windows up at least. Has anyone seen this before? Please help!
Maybe a stuck button on the key - don't they all open when you hold the unlock button down?

Try a different key or jiggle the buttons?

Maybe the steering lock is also binding if you left the wheels at an angle??

Could also try and disconnect the battery for few minutes and reset the ecm. Might just have a glitch.

Just don’t force the key when trying to turn in it.

To me,

All windows down = stuck button, or wet fob.

Key won’t turn = steering wheel lock is in a bind.

Is this a symptom of the broken steering lock shaft like many people have encountered? Or would the symptoms be different?

Is this a symptom of the broken steering lock shaft like many people have encountered? Or would the symptoms be different?

In my experience, no, but if “force” is used instead of “finesse”, that could be the next lesson learned.

In my experience, no, but if “force” is used instead of “finesse”, that could be the next lesson learned.
Sometimes my EOCP ( early onset cruiser paranoia ) is at an all time high for that issue . But i'm sort of sick of fixing stuff that isn't broken lol so finesse and parking straight seem to be good enough for now to avoid the lock.

Steering wheel is not bound up. Pulled straight into the driveway yesterday so the steering lock is not on. Not sure how it was when she first tried since I was not there but the buttons all seem to work fine. The key light blinks only when you hit one button. I cannot get the sunroof to close fully but the glass is forward all the way now. I tool the motor out and slid it forward. Used a powerprobe to jump the wires to each window motor to close all of those. At least it is closed enough to lock it and leave it for now till I get more time. My 04 LX is getting fresh tires today so I dont have a usable people carrier at the moment.

Also, I tried disconnecting the battery. That did not effect anything.
I could be way off but wouldn't this be a mechanical issue? If the key isn't turning, doesn't that mean the steering lock or something in the key slot is affecting it? or I guess there could be something electronic happening here to? IDK, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Windows and sunroof opening all at the same time = holding down the unlock button on the fob.

She probably grabbed the steering wheel to climb into the truck and pulled it enough to lock it.

Then she was probably struggling to turn the key and her finger held the unlock button down, which opened all the windows.

Solution, jiggle the steering wheel while turning the key...gently. Roll the windows up.

I would have to go thru the wiring diagram to confirm but I believe the lock cylinder is electronically controlled (key interlock solenoid). If so, It could be a problem in the theft deterrent computer since it also is tied into the door lock and window functions.

Windows and sunroof opening all at the same time = holding down the unlock button on the fob.

She probably grabbed the steering wheel to climb into the truck and pulled it enough to lock it.

Then she was probably struggling to turn the key and her finger held the unlock button down, which opened all the windows.

Solution, jiggle the steering wheel while turning the key...gently. Roll the windows up.
I already ran home and inspected it. The steering lock is not engaged. The wheel is free. I think this must be security related.

Of course I cant pull any codes because I cannot go key-on.

Could the security control module (not sure correct name) have gotten wet or otherwise gone haywire?

Security or electrical wouldn't prevent the key from turning. Start simple - sounds like you have two similar trucks, does she have the right key? Not sure that's the issue, since the windows/sunroof means it's probably the paired key. I'd go back to the steering wheel lock, pull the wheel slightly and try turning the key, it may be locked and not feel like it.

Last edited:
My '09 RX350 key refused to turn (at all) in my driveway this summer. After lots of fiddling around, I shot some silicone spray directly into the ignition key slot and it freed right up and the key turned. You might try this. I had no warning or previous symptoms - it just locked up tight like this.

If the key is off and the wheel doesn't lock that's your issue.
How do you figure?

Time for an update. I took most of the system apart today. I got the lock solenoid off the column, the ignition switch off, and the key sensor. I started the truck up by keeping the key by the sensor and turned the ignition switch that was still connected to the harness with a screwdriver. This allowed me to close the sunroof fully and work in a heated truck since it was in the low 40s. I just kept playing with the key in the cylinder while pushing the lock in by hand. All of a sudden, one if the times the key rotated to the other positions. Then I was able to pull the cylinder out of the truck and inspect it. It feels terrible. It feels like something came loose in there because sometimes it is hard to turn and hard to turn back, other times it feels fine. I really do not want two different keys but I also do not want to have to spend money to replace all the cylinders to make them match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom