2F Distributor Differences/Guide: Do I need a Ballast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. Id like to know if I need a ballast for this original setup that I have?

I believe its a distributor for 79-80 with the igniter mounted on the coil. however there is no ballast mounted on the coil. The truck is a 1969 fj55 with a transplanted late 70s early 80s engine with power steering and NO dented push rod cover. (I DON'T recommend the cheap ($90) HEI distributor on ebay (blue). It lasted a few months and no I have no spark from the dizzy)

2.Did toyota ever have a setup with a ballast mounted separate from the igniter/coil, somewhere on the firewall?

Id love a picture guide to the ignition components and their details explained. I know that it's not the big dizzy and will work with my non-dented push rod cover.

I'd also like to know:

3.what do all the wires coming off the igniter/coil do since ive never had the original parts on this truck.

THX

You might want to post these questions in the 40's section. They will have more members familiar with the older trucks.

The short version answer to your questions is:

If you have a points ignition system it'll need a ballast.

My '77 has the ballast mounted on the coil.

Several Mudders have FSM's in PDF format. Look for links in their signature lines. Spike Strip and Greg Nash come to mind but there are many more.

Try Searching in the 40 section for similar 55's.

Good luck.

Here's the 1975 2F Ignition section of the FSM

Attachments

• 1975 2f Motor FSM ignition.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 138
I've got an 86 fj60 engine set up in my 77 fj55- the only differences are I run a cable to the carb with a modifed bellcrank, and I run a non clutch fan water pump in order to fit the radiator...other than that, the ignition set up is all from the 86; big cap diz, dented cover, coil/ignitor combo for an fj60....that big cap diz and dented side cover make things alot easier...they come up as combos sometimes in the classifieds.

and here is the link to the FSMs...> For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Thx for the replies. any chance theres the FSM for the 79-80 out there?

The distributor i have is Not a points distributor. Its the electronic one from 79-80, at least thats what ive been told. And the ignitor has No ballast mounted to it. I just want to make sure i don't burn this coil up or damage the igniter because of a stupid $16 ballast and also the fact that these damn igniters are becoming rare and overpriced. I just don't know where to check to make certain. I have the wiring schematic from the Haynes for the 40-55 models. I don't see a ballast on the 79-80 schematic but im no expert.

ill post in the 40 section. I posted here because I think this engine was out of a fj60 but im not certain. the power steering makes me think it was and the engine serial number is out of range for anyone ive asked, including google and SOR. It would be nice to have the info for the different distributors size, components, years, etc all laid out for all the variables somewhere on the forum.

thx

I THINK 77 was the last year with the ballast resistor, as it had points still, but was also electronic...heck I can't remember. IIRC, the rule of thumb is if it has points, it needs a resistor...but you will be best off in the 40 section for this info. these guys either never needed to learned it, or have forgotten it due to lack of use...

One last thing however. What resistance would the ballast be or that resistance wire be for a 79-80 igniter/coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom