Stock Land Cruiser PTO shaft information needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks bud, that's why I was asking earlier were it mounted up to, the trans or the frame. That's why the cable, for flex.
Well the mount housing is still the same just need to build the cable mount also.
Is this your picture (shown) of the what looks like a 60-61 mount. That is much nicer and simple.
Thanks for confirming.

IMG_1845.jpg

Thanks bud, that's why I was asking earlier were it mounted up to, the trans or the frame. That's why the cable, for flex.
Well the mount housing is still the same just need to build the cable mount also.
Is this your picture (shown) of the what looks like a 60-61 mount. That is much nicer and simple.
Thanks for confirming.

View attachment 1116872

Love2fly,

That's my setup on my 55. That shifter was in my pile of parts I got with the 55 purchase. Not real sure what it's from.

Looks as it works nice. I think that linkage is from a FJ75 model.
How's that rig of yours coming along?

That is for a H55F transmission. Could be a later H41/H42 with the spacer. shifter is on the front which is not how they were on the pre 83 which were on the back. As for a 60/61 it depends if if off a manual or auto. I have one from a auto and it's completely different. This style in the picture is close to the used on the 83+ 4X series. Might be tricky if your shifter is on the front finding a cable that will work with the angle and shorter distance.

Okay had a bit of time to roll under the truck to do a check with my new mock-up of the shifter lever box that that I made from the information given by one of our fine Mud members. When I rolled under with template in hand and if this is to mount to the frame, I think I will need to go to plan "B". No way will this even come close to putting the lever close to the cutout as seen in the photo. I went back to my source site and typed in FJ45RP-KQ3 model for my rig and all that time I was off with a 1982 up to 10 of 1982. My rig is 10 and latter of 1982, Ah.
Shows two types shift mounts boxes, and # two has got to be it. This would put the lever right where it needs to be.
Sorry guys
Ok who has a shifter lever box mount like this....................AHH!
Took a couple of pictures of the underside to give the unexpected view.
Looks a lot like yours scrapdaddy
:doh:

$189.JPG

$184.jpg

$185.jpg

That is the setup I have. Have the shifter in town but just moved the two four speeds with split transfer cases to another location. It looks just like the one in the pictures. 10/82 would make yours a 83. Is there a set of threaded holes on frame right about at the firewall? That is for the second pillow block bearing mounting bracket. I have the driveline and brackts here in town.

I will have to take a look again for the pillow block holes you are referring to. But just out of memory I believe the frame in that general location to the side of the firewall on the frame does has several in pattern threaded mount holes.
Well on paper it's technically a 1982 but yeah, 10-82 puts it into the new production dates.
The box that I was mocking up to build and mount, were would that mount just for reference for myself and maybe others reading this post. Just can not see anywhere for it to be mounted to get it anywhere close to work for this beast.
I will try and get some better pictures of the areas you referenced on the frame and such. As said I am new to this PTO winch equipment for the Toyota being I that I always had the electric type winches so bear with me folks.
Thanks Living in the Past

On the truck reffranceing from the ToyoDIY site with my vin # I get:
I was told that it was sent to OZ without a box on the back just a frame and cab.

FJ45RP-KQ308/1980 -09/1984FJ45ARLPICRHD4FIVWORB

Last edited:
Took a few pictures with all the splash guards removed for better measurements and views.
I measured the rear frame (closest to the gearbox case area) what appear to be mount holes with threads as seen in the first picture. Measurements are a close as possible and from center of hole to hole.
The second picture is the measurement in distance between the rear set of factory hole on the frame to the front area what appear to be factory mount holes, at around 22.5 inches ( this is from the rear of the first set of hole to the front end of the second set of front holes near the PTO winch yoke outlet).
The third picture is the set of holes up front near the PTO winch yoke area (only ones), they are different from the first rear measurements.
I have no way of comparing my found measurements of the possible pillow block mount holes to a set of factory pillow blocks, and with the two different measurements I would have presumed that they had two types of pillow mounts but in my diagram it shows only two brackets with 37216 for both??
I was looking also for a number on the transmission housing to find some numbers but only could find what is seen in the one picture (sorry not real good).
With the splash plates off I can see a bit more of the transmission side were possibly the bracket for the shifter would mount and kind of resembles living in the past set up or close to. The top of the trans when feeling around with my fingers seems to have the two bolts on top and the one bolt on the side where my cable hold off is.
IF there is anything else I should be checking please I am open for suggestions.

Thanks guys

IMG_20150807_120049353.jpg
IMG_20150807_121603563_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150807_121158782_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150807_122431104.jpg

IMG_20150807_121716841.jpg

Okay back to the box type shift lever mount with cable, I now have a better idea on how that works and mounts. Toyota lacks big in information in the diagrams but from some web searching I found this photo of the same box type shifter housing that shows a better perspective on is possible components. Looks as the shift lever box mounts to what looks like a flat piece of steel that I presume then mounts to the side of the transmission. That make more sense than mounting to the frame area or body.
I tried to look in the Toyota TRANSMISSION parts diagrams and find nothing pertaining to this mount system.
Just wanted to pass this along to the next guy just incase you are searching the same.

167140d1105589696-split-case-pto-gearbox-p4160007 copy.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

Hi love2fly, here is how it was setup with the lever box/bracket. This is the way it was mounted before i took it out. My old pictures where useless so here is where it should be..

It fit right under where the floor mat has a hole.
So on the picture, it needs to be attached to the side of the body. Under the tranny hump.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439073535.459252.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439073554.213714.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439073569.086797.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439074348.520835.jpg

Last edited:
Just as suspected, you have confirmed my thoughts on the mounting area and the reason for the angle of the mount.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Your floor is the same as mine but without the E brake as mine is RHD but in the photos I posted you can see the cut out panel for the LHD brake on the underside.
Oh I do like the VW gas pedal cover.
Big thanks for this.

Still thinking cable - yes.

VW yes, it fitted and was cheap ;) the floor is the same aside from being flat metal and not ribbed, its an aqualu tub.

Btw, great looking frame, looks healthy

You never have said which version of split case PTO your getting. I know of three types. 81/82 two direction with shifter in the back. 83/84 two direction with shifter in the front. 85+ single direction with shifter in the front. Cable will only work in the first version with the shifter in the back.

Shifter on a A440F automation.
008.JPG

Shifter on a H41

016.JPG

Drivelines from the 83+ 40 series

022.JPG

Frame mounting brackets

025.JPG

Mounting holes on frame for rear bracket

005.JPG

Sorry you are right I neglected to say that it is only a single direction gearbox, possibly the 85+?. Picture was bad so the black and white makes it view better.
I am also receiving a shift lever that was from a box of parts that he had laying around. I am not sure if it was part of this G/B originally but it saves me building one and looks usable.
Your second picture of the H41 looks to be the same as mine referring to the top mount were the mount would go area with the forward high spot and back with a low spot.
As for the D/S pillow mounts for the bearings they look to be different in the bolt mount holes and obvious size so that accounts for the difference in my finding on the frame when measuring. The pillow block mount hole should match my frame hole findings.
I believe the area measured was 22.5" (+- 1") between the pillow block mounts, looks close in your picture.
I see in the picture of the shaft assembly that the front of the shaft spline are course as my yoke is at the winch end and the splines on the rear (G/B) are fine. Is that standard for all shafts on TCLs ?
All looks to be a match.
Did you say what year truck this is on?
All of what you have shown me has been a big help for a PTO new guy.
Next question, are you selling the unit or going to use it, had to ask.

Can you give me the diameter of the shaft(s). I did find a good place to start other than John Deere if anyone is interested.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/index.html

Thanks bud

Single direction G/B

$182 copy.jpg

Shifter lever arm

$183.jpg

H41 mount area is the same as yours

P2284792.jpg

22.5" was my measurements between the pillow block mount areas on my frame which looks dang close to what you show.

022.JPG

Last edited:
I see in the picture of the shaft assembly that the front of the shaft spline are course as my yoke is at the winch end and the splines on the rear (G/B) are fine. Is that standard for all shafts on TCLs ?

All the Toyota PTO shafts I've had and have seen have been matching course spline at both ends that one looks like its had a fine spline end fitted to it

PTO9.jpg

sadam_husain, scrapdaddy
Good to know, I was wondering why it was different on one end, and I am still wondering.
Can one you give me the shaft diameter - inch or mm and also the spline count. That will help in the round steel bar search. Most of the yokes I have found can be welded and look promising, but may have to go with whatever ID they may have. it's just the bearing hangers that maybe a challenge, have not found any that can be used so far. Wednesday after s*** I will stop in at the John Deere shop and lay out my needs and see where it goes on the parts possibilities.
I did some reading on PTO in general and it seems in the early days up to 1980 the shaft splines were pretty much the same when it came to the splines tooth count, then went to various types in the market later on. The one shown is one of many but Denny's driveshaft web site has many types and most all can be welded. The one shown is a rear axle driveshaft spline.
If anyone out there in web land has a couple of bent drive FJ40-45-60 PTO drive lines rusting in a pile, they would perfect for my building.
I'm looking forward to receiving the G/B soon so I can start production. I hope all is well with the gentleman that gave it to me, that was just cool...................;)

Spline-1a(2).jpg

Cheers :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom