Dome light operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question. I read and found some information about the dome lights in the fj80. I am not real electrically inclined so schematics are a bit confusing...

My front dome light will operate using manual on and will light up when the front doors open. When I open the rear doors, either, the rear cargo dome light will light up but not the forward dome light.

I am calling the forward dome light the one that is just rearward of the sun roof. Not the map lights over the rearview mirror.

Opening up the rear hatch will light up the rear dome light.

Is this normal operation? Its annoying when I open up the rear doors and the forward dome light does not come on. If its not, any ideas on where to look for the problem wire/connection?

I'm pretty sure there's a thread about running a jumper between the 2 so that when either is tripped on the other also comes on, that's all I did (and swapped to led's for less draw)

Great, thanks. Now I know what to do. I will look for that thread about jumping the two together.

Behind the DS kick panel look for a 6-pin connector going into the A-pillar.

Jumpering the RED/BLUE wire together with the RED/YELLOW wire should do it.

So this thread just saved me hours of diagnostics. I had no idea this was normal operation. I just thought the lights didn't work off the rear passenger doors

I am subscribed to this, very interested also as I hate the dark rear when I open the doors, monsters could be hiding back there. If any of you do complete it, can you please take some photos of location of the wires, the wireloom, and how did you jumped it? Thank you.

If you have the factory alarm, there will be a TEE-harness tapped into that 6-pin connector.

I would use those wires to splice together, leaving the original wiring unmolested.

Last edited:
my most rearward dome light was missing the selector and therefore would never come on; I jumpered it running a wire through the headliner in my 91; just a single wire soldered to ground side of each light since they're ground switched. so forward dome switch controls both lights. only involved removing the dome lights and snaking a small gauge wire.

I am subscribed to this, very interested also as I hate the dark rear when I open the doors, monsters could be hiding back there. If any of you do complete it, can you please take some photos of location of the wires, the wireloom, and how did you jumped it? Thank you.

Will do...

Opened up the kick panel and found the 6 pin connector. It's the one at the bottom of the 3.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424562181.091048.jpg

It's a birds nest as I have an aftermarket alarm installed and the factory alarm removed.

With this arrangement, the dome light works like this with the back doors open.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424562275.649417.jpg

I jumped the wires as directed. Using the aftermarket splices and a paper clip.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424562404.205929.jpg

Lights now both turn on.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424562432.941482.jpg

Awesome. I can clearly see the red/yellow, but can't the red/blue. But they were both in the same connector? Thanks again, these pictures are worth a million words to me

image.jpg
Sweeeeet, goodbye darkness! Easiest mod I have done. Thank you very much. If anyone has a simple one for the front dome to also turn on with doors open, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom