Builds European BJ42 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the hi-lux calipers, backing plates and discs all just bolt on to the bj42? This sounds like a great way to help reduce the strong rear bias.

Pete

Yes, a simple bolt-on solution. You will also need new brake hoses, have to be a different fitting and a little longer.

Picture of the new bumber

Haven't decided yet if I want to get it polished or painted black.

bumber2.jpg

bumber2.jpg

Great info. What years surf are ok? And what did you end up using for the brake lines?

Pete

Great info. What years surf are ok? And what did you end up using for the brake lines?

Pete

The parts I have ordered are for a Hi-Lux LN110 1990 4WD diesel.
Also the brake hoses which will arrive today are for the same vehicle.

Pete
And I ordered mine from a '93 V6 petrol 4wd Hilux with IFS, so it would seem that a variety will work - so long as it is 4wd and IFS. I did not know about the backing plates so simply trimmed 1/4" off of both sides of the opening on my existing backing plates. I like Henrik's idea better though due to the scoop, which Toyota fits to the long wheel base 40 series (at least in Australia) but not to the shorties. Does your MWB have those little scoops Pete?

With these calipers, my 33"s now stop as well as my 31"s did. Add to that the ease of finding the parts and why wouldn't you?

Henrik: I vote to leave the bumper silver or powder coat it the same pewter colour as the factory bumper. I think black would be too much black on the front (given the results of the poll on the bezel colour...:grinpimp:)

Josh

Little update.
Got the brakes mounted and both front wheels.

ForumRunner_20130526_235600.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_235600.jpg

It's alive!!
First start in 2½ year.
Tried to cranck it one time before connecting the diesel. Put diesel in the tank, bleed it and turneringen the key. Started first time!! Ok, stopped again but when I pressed the accelerator and tried again it started and keept running. Gotta love old diesel engines.

Did you go with the white rims or black? My bj42 is the same color with 255/85/16 BFG's and I can't decide which way to go.

Robert

Yes, loctite and automastic in every joint.
I went with the black rims, looking awesome. White was the factory color

Got the stencils cut for the instrument cluster. Looking ok, maybe not perfect but better than the rusted and faded one.

ForumRunner_20130603_201036.jpg

ForumRunner_20130603_201036.jpg

Can you please post some picture of your truck with the black rims?

Thanks
Robert

Can you please post some picture of your truck with the black rims?

Thanks
Robert

Sure, will do tomorrow when I get it out of the workshop.
The are just painted with black rattlecan for now, but will be Rilsan coated during next winter.

Good old Vikings: always say what they mean. Looks bloody nice!

You can centre that rear axle in the well by drilling a 9/16" hole 1" further forward on your axle spring perch. You should have enough slip in your drive shaft yoke for that. Just a thought.

Sounds interesting, have thought of a way to get the wheel a little further back but haven't seen that solution before

618Henrik said:
Sounds interesting, have thought of a way to get the wheel a little further back but haven't seen that solution before

I've done it on two of my cruisers and it's fairly common here. Works well and I've not found any side effects, other than the drive shaft being too short on some vehicles.

thanks for the picture showing off your black rims; she's looking great.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom