Converting FJ40 into half cab? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to convert my 75 fj40 into a half cab. I've read a few threads about this topic already and it seems that the two options are either to find an fj45 cab to put on it or to cut the middle window out of my current top and weld it back together. I much prefer the fj45 cab route but I have had virtually no luck in finding any, new or used. I'm hesitant to start cutting my current top because I may want to restore my fj authentically some day. Additionally, fj40 tops are not that easy to come by. I have seen some of the side panels for sale, but the lid seems to be the issue. I've found some new lids that were disgustingly expensive, like $1700. My question being is there a good place to find tops? fj40 or 45.

Post up in the classified section and maybe something in your area will show up, as shipping can get expensive. I would keep all the original parts and buy used to do the cab for the reason you listed. Maybe you can find a top that someone has put a sunroof in, then it won't be like you're really killing a good top.
Luck
Shane

Funny you should mention that. My current top actually has a sunroof in it. Does this mean it is not worth saving. And what would a typical used hard top go for?

Well there you go. Sunroofs are not original AFAIK, so find you some sides and figure it out. When you want to go back you can find a sunless top and be back stock.
Cost on tops have a large range. There is a thread going on now about the new all fiberglass tops that were not to expensive and have shot up in price.
I prefer the metal gutter to glass attachment. I did mine and used something in between the two areas as a sealer and I will see how it works out down the road.
Tops could range from $400.00 to $1000.00, depending on condition.
Shane

I'm hesitant to start cutting my current top because I may want to restore my fj authentically some day.

<On Soapbox/rant>

I don't want to totally harass the new guy, but in 23 years of FJ ownership, I can't tell you how many people have cut up a Land Cruiser (or 3) and then tell me 'Now I want to find a nice stock one like yours'. Grrrrr!

I recommend you go slowly in the 'cutting it up' department.

<Off soapbox/rant>

I'm very interested in seeing this too, ironically I sold a 75 last year to someone in ohio and the top had a sunroof. Could this be my old one? Either way like others said it'll be impossible to find a 45 cab, and I remember seeing a thread not to long ago about a guy making nice lids for about 500 dollars. Ill try to find it

Charlie

I'd recommend making the cab a little longer than the stock 45 cab. Since you're not after a stock look, how about making a soft top 1/2 cab?

I guess that all depends on why you want to make a 1/2 cab.

Charlie,
I recognize your name, this is indeed your old cruiser.

I'm very much a fan of keeping things original, especially the iconic look of the fj's. However, on the other hand I rather like the half cab look. Charlie, as you can vouch, my fj would probably need a new tub if it were ever to be fully restored, so is it as big a deal to experiment with its look if it needs replaced anyway--something I'll have to ponder I suppose. Thanks to all for the advice.

My first cruiser came with a hard top and a half cab soft top, I agree there was something so cool looking about the half cab on a short wheel base, like an odd short pickup. Loved the look, lot more people looked at it with the half cab on then without or the hard top.

An old Kayline, which is no longer w/ us.
kline softtop.jpg

When I stretched my 40 I was able to source a second set of sides and a hardtop that I then proceeded to cut up to make a hardtop long enough to accomadate the 27" stretch. I kept what was left of the front and rear of the 2 roofs I cut in case I ever wanted to do something like you are contemplating (or if anybody else ever wanted them). If interested, we can talk offline to see if we can make something happen.

Wow small world, how is she running? But yes if it were to ever be restored it would need a whole new tub and probably whole body. I don't know if you can post pics yet with the low post count so ill post some pics I have of it to try and give others an idea of what you are working with. This is the only one I can find at the moment, also can't figure out how to flip the image from ipad
image.jpg

There is a half cab top and side listed on eBay right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom