Replacing Front Side Marker Bulb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some help replacing the light bulb in my right front side marker (the amber light housing next to the headlights).

The owners manual makes it look simple; unscrew phillips head screw from under the hood, pop housing forward, and replace bulb. My problem is that there is obviously something securing the bottom of the housing. I can force the top of it out a quarter inch or so, however, the bottom is not budging.

I don't want to force anything and end up breaking something. What is securing the bottom of the housing and how to I release it?

Thanks in advance!

I just pulled it out, but I did struggle on getting a good grip on the housing. Try to pull on the bottom portion.

there is a little stud on the bottom that help secure it. Just pull and it will come off.

just pull it hard. Thought I broke it the first time I took it off.

What everyone else said. Just make sure to pull straight forward, not outwards or upwards. And remember that the wiring is only yay-long, so stop pulling when the housing comes out :D

Don't feel bad, I wrestled with trying to find the hidden screw or bold for almost 45 minutes before I posted a question about it. I could have sworn that there was a bolt up there that i could see but could not get too... They someone told me just to pull.

Don't feel bad, I wrestled with trying to find the hidden screw or bold for almost 45 minutes before I posted a question about it. I could have sworn that there was a bolt up there that i could see but could not get too... They someone told me just to pull.

Been there done that. It was before I discovered that the experts on this board. I struggled, and was so afraid of breaking the housing that I ended bringing the car to the dealer. A $20 lesson! :bang:

Been there done that. It was before I discovered that the experts on this board. I struggled, and was so afraid of breaking the housing that I ended bringing the car to the dealer. A $20 lesson! :bang:

Ouch!!!

The easy way to do it is to remove the screw on top, remove the two screws on turn signal lense below the headlight, pull the lense out, and now you have access to the bottom stud and have something to grab to pull the sidemarker lense out straight without even worrying you will break a thing.

Thanks a bunch guys!

This board is a great resource to get helpful hints.

If you lay under the truck you can see the stud that holds it on. I reached up with a long screw driver and used it to leverage it off from behind. Made me feel much better than yanking the heck out of it from the front. And I didn't break anything.

Good luck!

Thanks, Lugboot!

Highly recommend going in through the wheel well if you just have to have working marker lights. I read through this thread and watched the video on the 80 board. I tried working the lense up down up down for a long time and gingerly pulling it forward with my fingers in the bottom of the lense, but when I pulled straight out, the cheap plastic tang that was stuck in the hole just broke off. Now, one of my lenses is held in place with the little phillips screw inside the engine compartment. The rattle isn't too bad, but I'm going to have to put in some weather stripping or something to keep it from getting worse. So, it doesn't just "pull out." On the other side, I went in through the wheel well and pulled off the splash guard (cheap plastic broke around the grommet during removal), then had easy access to the bulb. At least that side doesn't rattle and the splash guard is still held in place by other cheap plastic POS grommets. All this for marker lights. If I'd known, I wouldn't have replaced them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom