New Member New M100 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New Member New M100 Owner / Updated

Ok Guy's,

I am a new member, and also a new owner of a M100 trailer. The trailer is in very good condition and I have plans on doing some mods for towing behind my Jeep Unlimited. So any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mods to do:

1) Change Hubs and or Axle to a 5on5 bolt pattern (no brakes)
2) Change fenders to a Jeep style fender (three sided)
3) Change 2" coupler back to Pintle Lumete
4) Re-wire with Jeep style tail lights
5) Paint and body work
6) Custom Tonneau cover
7) Lift for 33 or 35" tires (maybe axle flip / Running 37's on my JK)

Thanks in advance Boots

HPIM1358.jpg

HPIM1352.jpg

Thought I would update some things on this post. Alot has been done over the last few months.

Took a 4" droped 4500lb axle out of a car trailer, narrowed it by about 2 foot re-welded it back together, rebuilt the hubs and had spacers made to go from 5-5.5 to 5.5, then fliped it upside down and mounted it above the springs. Made a set of steel fenders at work out of 16ga steel.

Added shocks, a Lock-N-Roll hitch, 37" tires and AEV 17" wheels. Then re-wired the trailer with new Jeep style tail lights (not shown with the photo's posted) and fender marker lights. Also added a Jeep style tailgate that the posted photo's don't show.

Now I want to add heavy duty shackles to the rear of the springs. Just need to find out where to get some and what model jeep runs the same shackle.

Then it's off to the sandblaster befor paint and tonneau cover.

DSCF0899.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

Last edited:
Nice trailer. I'd reconsider the tow vehicle though.

Just giving you a hard time. Welcome:flipoff2:

Yep, I knew that was comming. No problem.

I look at it this way, we both like to wheel but go about it in a little differant way. No big deal to me. :cheers:

Ok Guy's,

I am a new member, and also a new owner of a M100 trailer. The trailer is in very good condition and I have plans on doing some mods for towing behind my Jeep Unlimited. So any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mods to do:

1) Change Hubs and or Axle to a 5on5 bolt pattern (no brakes)
2) Change fenders to a Jeep style fender (three sided)
3) Change 2" coupler back to Pintle Lumete
4) Re-wire with Jeep style tail lights
5) Paint and body work
6) Custom Tonneau cover
7) Lift for 33 or 35" tires (maybe axle flip / Running 37's on my JK)

Thanks in advance Boots

HPIM1358.jpg

HPIM1352.jpg

1) Might as well get a complete axle set up that way, and sell your M100 axle with the cables and brake handle as a package. Or. use the existing setup, and just get rims similar in pattern to your Jeep and carry a spare for the trailer. Some guys are using Astro Van or similar spare tire wind up assemblies to put the spare under the trailer.

2) You'll have to also cut the fender brackets off the tub. If you use an M416 trailer fender, you'll have to put new brackets onto the tub. If you get a fender with a flanged edge, you can bolt directly to the tub. Save your M100 fenders. if they're in good shape, you can sell them.

3) Have you priced military lunette assemblies? They are hard to find compelte, and are pricey, whether intact or pieced together. What kind of hitch do you have on your Jeep? If it is a rotating pintle, you can put a non-rotating lunette on your trailer. My Land Cruiser has a rotating pintle hitch, so I used a non-rotating lunette on my civilian jeep trailer. It couples into a 2"x2" tube. Here is a link to a thread about it:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/219343-my-other-jeep-trailer-bantam-civilian-model.html
Also, your 2" ball couple setup has value to those with no hitch at all. You can sell it as well.

4) Rewire with jeep style taillights. Nothing wrong with that. They might even bolt right to the brackets. I found that common trailer lights from boat supply houses and U-Haul would attached directly to the M100 brackets. The lights are shown here. They look similar to later model jeep lights.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/208395-brought-home-m100-trailer-today.html

5) I wouldn't put a fabric cover on it if I was using it for camping gear. A home made locking metal lid would be more secure. If you want a fabric cover, there are several suppliers who make them in various matierials, though the most common is olive drab canvas. Some can make them from black vinyl.

7) Here's a springover I did on my M100.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/224303-did-springover-my-m100-trailer.html

Some more comments.

Your trailer has had a tailgate fabricated into it. It appears someone did a pretty decent job of it. They lost the rear corner handles in the process of adding angle iron reinforcements. This destroys collector value, but does make the trailer useful, and as such it would not matter for value for someone who needed a good trailer.

The stake pockets have been added. The original M100 did not have them. In fact, the WWII, M100 nor the later M416 trailers had them. The civilian post-war Bantam trailer did. (It also had a factory tailgate.)

Last edited:
Brian,

Hey, thanks for all the info and links. By the way your trailer looks great. Love the stance with the axle flip.

1) Complete axle replacment. This is the way I would like to go, just can't seem to find an axle the right length with a 5on5 bolt pattern. May look into adaptors to go from 5on5.5 to 5on5. (I am taking the length from hub flange to hub flange, is this right? )

2) My M100 fenders are in great shape and will re-sale them.

3) The Lunette assy came with the trailer, just need to put it back on. However, the eye on the Pintle is broken so I will need to find a re-placement. The hitch on my Jeep is a Non-Rotating, however the stock M100 IS a rotating one.

4) Picked up trailer Tail Light kit from my local NAPA store and looks like they will bolt right on.

5) For a cover I had thought of useing 1/2" plywood covered with black vynil matt. Then put a hinge and stut kit on.

Again thanks for all the information...........

I changed the hubs on mine to take my jeep tires. I run 32" with a 10" wide rim. The off set on my rim is more to the back of the rim. I never had any problems with my tires rubing.

I changed the hubs on mine to take my jeep tires. I run 32" with a 10" wide rim. The off set on my rim is more to the back of the rim. I never had any problems with my tires rubing.

If all you did was change the hubs where did you get the hubs from ? Also what size hubs are needed ?

I want to run 33" BFG KM2's with the AEV Pinter 17" wheel, wheels are 8" wide and have a 25mm offset and a 50n5 bolt circle

What I was going to do was, get the wheels and tires mounted and set them where I want them to run, track wise. Then take a measurement from mounting surface to mounting surface (back of wheels) and order that size axle. :idea:

Last edited:
I don't have the link on my work computer :bang: I do know I ordered them from a big trailer place in Texas. I got hubs and rings from them and it wasn't that expensive for the shipping. If any one knows the place im talking about please post up if not ill look tonight and let you know.

Trailer looks good. I like the color. I sprung mine over with 32x11.50x15s. It turned out pretty well. The matching lug pattern would be nice since you would only have to carry one spare, but to me, it really isn't that big of deal to carry a spare for the trailer. I still need to suspend my spare under the trailer. That's a project for this winter.

attachment.php

Congrats on the trailer! :cheers:

Trailer looks good. I like the color. I sprung mine over with 32x11.50x15s. It turned out pretty well. The matching lug pattern would be nice since you would only have to carry one spare, but to me, it really isn't that big of deal to carry a spare for the trailer. I still need to suspend my spare under the trailer. That's a project for this winter.

attachment.php

Congrats on the trailer! :cheers:

Wow, now that looks good. Would have thought by the photo that you had 35's on the trailer.

I am going to do the flip for certain, just don't know if Iam going to run 33's or 35's on the trailer. most likely 33's (running 37's on my JK).

This is my M100 with new springs, shocks and 33 BFG's. Rides just a bit high in the back end when the truck is fully loaded. Rides perfectly flat when the truck is not under load. No spring over. I did some pretty heavy off road stuff in the last few weeks and it rode flawlessly. I have 200# - 300# of stuff in the trailer and I never know it's there. A couple of photos after the tung extension and with the BFG's.
Fun.jpg
DSC01103.JPG
DSC01104.JPG

Last edited:
Photogod,

Like that hinged lid on your trailer.....

Photogod,

Like that hinged lid on your trailer.....

Thanks! Made it myself along with the hinges. Gas struts to lift it makes it easy to open with the tent on it.

You have a great trailer for a project! That thing is really nice shape. Great find.

Buy the way, I want to convert my M100 trailer back to a Pintle typ hitch. I have the piece that bolts onto the tonque (came with the trailer, large cast piece) also have the spring and nut for the lunette but NEED the lunette. I think that's what they call the rod with the eye on the end. :eek:

Anyone have an extra one they would like to sell or trade? Or know where I can find one ?

Thanks! Made it myself along with the hinges. Gas struts to lift it makes it easy to open with the tent on it.

You have a great trailer for a project! That thing is really nice shape. Great find.

Thanks, I thought I did good. paid $700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom