Wasn't this MUD upgrade supposed to increase speed ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sloooooww...

The system seems reeeeally slow this am. Not having a problem
on the web with other sites.

Just bringing it to your attention.

I've been receiving broken pages (top of page, then garbled HTML) off and on yesterday and this morning. Refresh/reload generally fixes it.

This thread loaded fine, except the footer (below the "Posting Rules" box) is garbled HTML.

Since I'm on linux I can't test IE, but I did reverse engineer a bit of the obfuscated javascript that was causing the problem (shoppingads' javascript). Whatever shoppingads does it's not getting it's keywords set properly (shoppingads_ad_kw) and it is making a call to a function called scrubSXX() with a null parameter. This is causing javascript to crash (especially on IE) and is probably causing most of the headache. I'm still trying to figure out where in the page the shoppingads code is loaded (it's not directly in the source and must be loaded somewhere by javascript into the DOM)

The crashing JS means that IE will panic and not load the page well at all. It may also explain garbled output becaue vB relies heavily on JS to work in order to setup a bunch of advanced formatting and overall DOM setup.

I get the background and the top section super fast and then the rest of the page takes a long time to load. In the bottom left I get the message "Done - with errors on page" Message in box says error is null or not an object

x2

:meh:

Very slow, with IE and a very fast connection. Oddly, the Club forums come up normally (fast), but any link to regular 'Mud areas takes 30 seconds or so to load.

-Spike

Ah ha. I bet I know why. IE has a nasty tendency to match the end of a multiline html comment using non-greedy regular expressions. This is a flaw. Yield build was turned off with multiline comments. See:
Code:
[b]<!-- Yieldbuild OFF[/b]

<!-- GOOGLE AdSense / Yieldbuild [color=red]-->[/color]
<center>
<!-- YB: nav (728x15) -->
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
yieldbuild_client = 779;
yieldbuild_layout = "thread___universal_zones";
yieldbuild_loc = "nav";
yieldbuild_options = {};
//--></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://yieldbuild.com/s_ad.js"></script>

</center>

[b][color=lime]-->[/color][/b]
IE should ignore everything up to the green --> tag, but instead it only seems to ignore to the red --> tag.

I'm going to make a mirror of the page and I need an IE user to click it and tell me if it's still slow.

:hmm: You know what? I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I think IE just doesn't handle the fact that yieldbuild is broken as gracefully. Non-greedy is logically the best pattern search. Woody probably just didn't realize what he was doing was wrong :flipoff2: EDIT2: nope. It's not standardized properly in IE.

Last edited:
I thought that might narrow it down a bit. So, now what? :D

-Spike

Last edited:
not sure if this might help at all, but these are the errors in loading this one page
temp.JPG

What is happening to the Mud site?

Well,
Seems that it takes any where from 60-85 seconds for anything to happend when I click on anything on this site today. I have noticed that it is not as fast over the last few days as it has been in the past. Why does the site direct me to a pop-up ad at the bottom of the page before sending me to the desired area I am clicking on? I have also noticed there were some changes made a few days ago. Do these changes have anything to do with the site almost shuting down? The IH8Mud site is the only place I am haveing any problems now that I have upgraded my server speed.
Any help would be greatly apprecieated.
Thanks........................

Normal mud is broken for you in IE but that loads fine?

it did but now it's not

ok just tried the normal page and that page, and the normal is slower, but yours isn't lightning quick by any means

it did but now it's not

ok just tried the normal page and that page, and the normal is slower, but yours isn't lightning quick by any means

Ok do me a favor and try again. Don't refresh it though (you want to used your cache for little things like smilies, they take a long time to load the first time), just click the link to open it again.

Any other IE users willing to give it a shot and compare it?

Ok do me a favor and try again. Don't refresh it though (you want to used your cache for little things like smilies, they take a long time to load the first time), just click the link to open it again.

Any other IE users willing to give it a shot and compare it?

that's better
I tried it on IE6 on the desktop, and ie7 on the laptop, so you've got two results sort of :D

Nate,
Super fast for your test page, less than half a second, but slow for this reply. Probably 20 seconds for the page to load.
That's on IE 7.

Ok, windows users here is a quick fix until woody gets back:

Open a command prompt (Start->Run... type in "cmd" [without the quote] and hit Ok...) and run each of these one at a time (be sure to type them exactly. if you make mistakes the fix wont work)
Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 yieldbuild.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 ads.digitalpoint.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 tag.contextweb.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

To be fair to woody, blocking ads kills his ad-revenue and makes running the site more difficult. However there is no point in keeping crashing ads that make the site unusable, so I don't feel too terrible explaining how to block the offending domains.

edit: To explain what that does.... every operating system has to look up the IP address of a domain name when you request a page (for example: no computer can access ih8mud.com directly. They must first query a nameserver for the IP address where the server for ih8mud is located. In this case it is actually 204.10.140.65) before it can connect to it. Windows will check what is known as the "hosts" file first though (before it contacts a nameserver) to see if the domain is listed there. These commands add lines to the hosts file which tell windows that the IP address of the offending domain is actually your own computer :lol: Now, obviously you aren't the host, and windows knows this but it never questions the hosts file, so it simply cannot load the ads. It's a crafty way to get around the ads and these changes apply all over windows, not just to IE.

Last edited:
Ok, windows users here is a quick fix until woody gets back:

Open a command prompt (Start->Run... type in "cmd" [without the quote] and hit Ok...) and run each of these one at a time (be sure to type them exactly. if you make mistakes the fix wont work)
Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 yieldbuild.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 ads.digitalpoint.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 tag.contextweb.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
To be fair to woody, blocking ads kills his ad-revenue and makes running the site more difficult. However there is no point in keeping crashing ads that make the site unusable, so I don't feel too terrible explaining how to block the offending domains.

how long will that work for?

Hi
IE7 (current updates??) very slow, but a little better the last few minutes, and all browsing history cleared. Your link fast! but the avatar does not load?

FF 2.0.0.13 (not up to date?) not as slow as IE7, your link INSTANT and the avatar loads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom