Wasn't this MUD upgrade supposed to increase speed ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, super fast now on IE7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too save a little time when typing those commands, do the first one make sure its correct hit enter. The prompt will come back up, now hit F3 this will put back up what you previously typed. Move the cursor over the text that has changed and hit enter again. Repeat once more.

Cheers

how long will that work for?

That will work as long as the scripts called on 'mud continue to use those domains or until you open up the hosts file and remove those lines.

I've contacted a few of the ad providers with broken/slow scripts. We'll see if they are aware of the glitches or if they're working on a fix.

Too save a little time when typing those commands, do the first one make sure its correct hit enter. The prompt will come back up, now hit F3 this will put back up what you previously typed. Move the cursor over the text that has changed and hit enter again. Repeat once more.

Cheers

Opps!!
Move the cursor over the text that has changed and replace it with the next line ie; yieldbuild.com with ads.digitalpoint.com rather then retyping the whole line.

Cheers

:confused: or just cut and paste the whole line in...

Ok IE users (or other people having problems)

I NEED YOU TO TRY THIS
You'll see my username on here because this is a static page I saved and edited, but it's just to see if it still loads slowly for you. Please click it and let me know.

www.nate-online.com/mud_test.html

Loaded fine, fast.

-Spike

I have not been able to cut and paste anything into a post or private message in mud????
Not sure why

Cheers

it's still slow on the ie7 for me, but the ie6 machine is as fast as firefox

it's still slow on the ie7 for me, but the ie6 machine is as fast as firefox

:hmm: Try clearing your cache. You may have the scripts stored in cache.

X3

part of page loads, says "done" and rest doesn't come up for a long wait - really pissing me off! Brings back dial up memories, something ain't right!:mad:

Concur - This weekend the site is moving at super slow speed, I know its not on my end. I hope the site can remedy this situation.

Ok, windows users here is a quick fix until woody gets back:

Open a command prompt (Start->Run... type in "cmd" [without the quote] and hit Ok...) and run each of these one at a time (be sure to type them exactly. if you make mistakes the fix wont work)
Code:
echo 127.0.0.1 yieldbuild.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 ads.digitalpoint.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 tag.contextweb.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
To be fair to woody, blocking ads kills his ad-revenue and makes running the site more difficult. However there is no point in keeping crashing ads that make the site unusable, so I don't feel too terrible explaining how to block the offending domains.

edit: To explain what that does.... every operating system has to look up the IP address of a domain name when you request a page (for example: no computer can access ih8mud.com directly. They must first query a nameserver for the IP address where the server for ih8mud is located. In this case it is actually 204.10.140.65) before it can connect to it. Windows will check what is known as the "hosts" file first though (before it contacts a nameserver) to see if the domain is listed there. These commands add lines to the hosts file which tell windows that the IP address of the offending domain is actually your own computer Now, obviously you aren't the host, and windows knows this but it never questions the hosts file, so it simply cannot load the ads. It's a crafty way to get around the ads and these changes apply all over windows, not just to IE.
hope that helps :beer:

Last edited:
Charlton Heston died..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom