rust on wheel wells (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a 40 guy who I found a 62 local that I'm interested in, however the wheel wheels are rusted badly. the frame is mostly rust free and straight.

What can I do about the wheel wells? is there something, other than POR-15 I can put on there? IS there after market fender flares that will hide the rust?

what to do?

Cut and weld in new. See Cool cruiser of texas.

I used wolf ones from a place in Canada, ok, but I think next time I want the CCOT ones.

I used wolf ones from a place in Canada, ok, but I think next time I want the CCOT ones.

Looking for a quick, cheap and easy fix. CCOT is not

The last time I checked, CCOT stopped making the 60/62 rear panels.

Zack

I just read the threads on the Pathfinder flares, going to stop by local bone Yard tomorrow and see if they have any 93 PFinders. that might be the trick

Just make sure you get as much of the rust out as you can, and treat the crap out of it with POR 15 before covering it up.

rust

Well, my solution was certainly cheap and easy. Not for everyone, though.

DSC_0002.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

I got one side completly sealed up and trimmed, then I filled the inside area and the wheel well seam with that expanding foam. Ain't never gonna leak from the bottom side, at least. Use flashing sealant and rivets to secure the main panel to what was left of the sheet metal.

At least, works for me....:beer:

I think that it is Gozzard composites, they make a flare specifically designed to cover the rust. Keep in mind that when you use a flair you often "trap" moisture and can aggravate existing rust issues. That being said, I'm cleaning mine up the best I can, and going with the pfinder flares. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. If I get it done, I'll post pics.

I think that it is Gozzard composites, they make a flare specifically designed to cover the rust. Keep in mind that when you use a flair you often "trap" moisture and can aggravate existing rust issues. That being said, I'm cleaning mine up the best I can, and going with the pfinder flares. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. If I get it done, I'll post pics.

the Gozzards are too expensive, I'm going to go Pfinfder too probably... I can't wait to see pictures of your attempt

60 rear quarters

Here's a few pictures of the process i am going through to replace the bottom part of the rear quarter. I used CCOT panels. bought a few years ago. I have modified the rear part where the original bumper end cap fit the rear quarter, rounded it of and blended to fit.
Had to build the inner fender parts from 18 gage. These are not critical for looks so I just fitted the the lip to the CCOT replacement panel and built a channel like the stock set-up.

Hope this helps with you project.
Did the DS first and I'm working on the PS now. It is not as bad, more good metal to weld to.
The truck is 23 years old and used for everything so it not a show car.

Thanks jb
IMG_0517_1.JPG
IMG_0520_1.JPG
IMG_0519_1.JPG

kiwidog i like the zebra drums.....:flipoff2:

Hey LI PM me if you want this 'shop' I know in Nassau. He's gonna do my '86 both sides, same rust. Super nice guy, and a very good deal. HTH

Here's a few pictures of the process i am going through to replace the bottom part of the rear quarter. I used CCOT panels. bought a few years ago. I have modified the rear part where the original bumper end cap fit the rear quarter, rounded it of and blended to fit.
Had to build the inner fender parts from 18 gage. These are not critical for looks so I just fitted the the lip to the CCOT replacement panel and built a channel like the stock set-up.

I've got some old CCOT qps that have been sitting in my office for years as well. How long did it take you to do the DS side? Are you going to do anything special about the fuel lines when you do the PS side?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Billmc

The ps wasn't near as bad. I just cut off the the bottom of the inner fender and welded a new piece of 18 gauge on and trimed it to fit bottom of the quarter panel. That way I didn't have worry about the pipes. I did have fab one 1/4 inch vent pipe. I did remove the fuel tank. It had a small hole in it under one of the straps, just filled it with H2O and brazed up the hole.This is a plus as there is more room to work under the frame and you can sit up and see over the frame rails. I didn't really keep track of the time but I would about six hours or so to make and fit the parts. I am going to weld on both quarter this weekend and then it should ready for paint. # 1 son is driving the LX450 and he keeps telling it is putting him in the poor house because of the fuel use, so he wants the diesel back.

Thanks jb

Thanks, Kiwidog. I'm going to try to do mine soon. Doesn't have to be pretty, just trying to buy a couple more years out of the truck while I rehab my 40.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom