BJ43 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.urbanlandcruisers.com
Thi is a mid 80 JDM RHD BJ 43. Anyone know if AC and PS was an option?

Hooked up with Mot and he is lookeing around for it in Japan but if anyone knows where some of it might be lurking we want it and will be willing to ship across the ponds.

They never made a BJ43. They did make a FJ43 (gas motor), then the BJ44 and then the BJ46, all with the same body and frame (except engine mounts). The BJ44 started in 1979 and ran to 1982 when the BJ46 was implemented. They then stopped making this body style in 1984.

The BJ44 did offer power steering as an option but it is extremely rare. I don't know about AC. In the BJ46 these options were more prevalent and maybe even standard. Not too many coming over as they are just being allowed into the states. Also, as a note all of these models were made for JDM only. After they acquired some age, they were then exported as used to AU and NZ. A LOT more 44s were exported than 46 (if any 46 were exported).

Lastly, the BJ44 had the 2B engine, semi floating axles, and four speed trannies. The 46s upgraded to the 3b engine, full floaters, and 5 speeds.

Hope this helps.

Kraig

They did infact make a BJ43 because I have seen one with my own eyes. I even checked the VIN on the chasis to verify that it wasn't some sort of FJ43 conversion. I almost bought the vehicle but at the time didn't have the 9k the guy was asking for. This vehicle didn't have ac or ps. Oh yeah, it was a LHD!

This is a 2B, semi float, 4 spd imported through NZ but from Japan. Might be a 44 but the owner is sure that it is a 43. I will dbl check when it comes back in.

I am guessing 2B is early and 3B is later? ANy reason the brackets and crap would not or could not be made to fit is I can find bj44 PS?

The bj43 ran from early 74-78. The 44 when from 79-81. I'm sure the latter were titled as 82's. Anyway the bj43 had a B. Since you say it's a mid 80's and has a 2b it would be a bj44(or 41)unless there were items swapped. The 2b came in 41, 44 and 55 and yes before the 3b.

I'm unsure about bracketry as i'm not familiar with the 2b

The bj43 ran from early 74-78. The 44 when from 79-81. I'm sure the latter were titled as 82's. Anyway the bj43 had a B. Since you say it's a mid 80's and has a 2b it would be a bj44(or 41)unless there were items swapped. The 2b came in 41, 44 and 55 and yes before the 3b.

I'm unsure about bracketry as i'm not familiar with the 2b

Great! The plot thickens! Got the Vin and importation info. It is a 1979 BJ 41 with 2B, semi float, 4 spd.

From what I am finding it does not sound like the 2B 41s came with PS or AC or, if they did, very rare. I have the books on te 2B and 3Bs on the way but anyone have any ideas, experience on fitting the PS to a 3B? I bet I can locate that. All I really need is the pump mount and box but the box could be from just about any Toyota RHD Cruiser or truck.

Anyone have a PIC of a 3b AC or PS set up?

I dunno if the 2b came with ps or ac. Since it's an early 80's I bet there probably is.

Anyway, I searched here and found a pic of ps.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=94352&highlight=power+steering
The 70's used a remote resevior like the mini trucks.

The ac compressor mounts below the alt on the right side to the studs in the block. I would think it's be easiest to fab your own brackets for both depending on what pump and or compressor you use.

HTH

My 1980 BJ41 2b motor came with air, no power stearing. Let me know if you wants pics.

I have a 81 BJ44 with a 2B and I have AC from the factory but no power steering. I don't think power steering was an option. BUT I do fave what I believe to be a factory power clutch. Let me know if you want part #'s or pics. :cheers:

I have a 1981 BJ44 as well. I don't believe mine was original but I do have Power steering, AC, and Power front Disc brakes.

Check this out... I took this photo on Friday. It's from a 1981 FJ43. This truck had not come with PS or AC, and did not have a FF rear axel.

Last edited:
Great! The plot thickens! Got the Vin and importation info. It is a 1979 BJ 41 with 2B, semi float, 4 spd.

From what I am finding it does not sound like the 2B 41s came with PS or AC or, if they did, very rare. I have the books on te 2B and 3Bs on the way but anyone have any ideas, experience on fitting the PS to a 3B? I bet I can locate that. All I really need is the pump mount and box but the box could be from just about any Toyota RHD Cruiser or truck.

Anyone have a PIC of a 3b AC or PS set up?

The BJ41 I have for sale right now has a 2B with factory p/s and a/c.

I have seen a few like this, but most had either/or.

The BJ41 I have for sale right now has a 2B with factory p/s and a/c.

I have seen a few like this, but most had either/or.

how can i bribe you for PICs? I want to see how the PS mounts as well as as much about the AC set up as possible

They did make BJ43 in early 1980's

My BJ 43 was built in 1984 for SL Army, Soft-top, 12V, B diesel Engine, H41, No Disc Brakes/AC/Powersteering

My friend's BJ 43 is made in 1983. same as mine except its 24V

Frame number of both trucks go as BJ43-XXXXXXXX

Mithila

From what I have seen it is hit or miss with P/S and A/C. I have seen some with A/C but no power steering and vice versa. My 1981 BJ-44 came with power steering and A/C. My BJ-46 has a 3B, had P/S, A/C, H55 5 Speed and a full floater. As far as I have seen here in Japan only the 46's came with 5 speed and full floater but that's not to say other models didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom