For those who went to 33's on their FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently just bought some 33x12.5 BFG's for my FJ62 and love them but i have noticed it being very sluggish. I knew when i got them the truck would be sluggish but i was wondering if any of you did anything to help performance? Did any of you go from the stock 4.10 to 4.88's?

I left the 3.73s in because I liked the highway RPMS. Honestly, though, I didn't really think it was that sluggish. I was the slowest to accelerate from a light when I had my 235s. Now I am still the slowest I just look way sweeter.

Brian

I left the 3.73s in because I liked the highway RPMS. Honestly, though, I didn't really think it was that sluggish. I was the slowest to accelerate from a light when I had my 235s. Now I am still the slowest I just look way sweeter.

Brian

The FJ60 came with 3.73s like brian's , however your fj62 came with 4.11s (and the auto). I too thought the 4.11s with the auto was a little slow and changed to 4.88s. These were a little ambious IMO and think 4.56 is perfect if you want to pull highway speeds and not wrap out the motor. Another option is ditching the auto for an H55 5-speed, and keeping the stock 4.11s. My HJ60 is set-up this way and pulls well at all speeds and conditions. You can do a search for the transmission switch-out, it been done many times before. If you decide to open up th diffs, throw a locker in the rear. Super nice upgrade.

4.88s will be a bit steep for 33s. 4.56s would be more appropriate. If you stay with 33s at least. ;)

Mark...

After a while you kind of get used to the speed. Try adjusting the kick down points on the auto that will help a ton. I am thinking of moving up to 35's on mine as soon as I get the money to buy some.

I drove a friends 62 w/ 33s on it and thought the tranny shift points were all wrong. Since then I've read about some maintenance adjustments to the tranny, shift linkage and/or kick down link that might have helped a bit. Try a search on auto tranny linkage adjustments.

4.88s will be a bit steep for 33s. 4.56s would be more appropriate. If you stay with 33s at least. ;)

Mark...
X2. When I added 33s to my stock geared FJ-62 it was a little sluggish at the start, and when going up hills it was always shifting back and forth. I then re-geared to 4.88s and it was great but a little too low. My gas milage went down since I was turning more RPMs on the freeway at cruising speeds. I would agree that 4.56 is the best compromise if you are not going to go to 35s, or you are not going to wheel all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom