FJ40 Back Spacing Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to get new wheels for my 74 fj40 and was wondering what the recommended back spacing is (drum brakes, and eventual 33X10.5 tires). Thanks for the help!

3.5"....anthing larger than that number will rub on either the calipers of disc front axles or the tie rod end of drummies. NOT an easy number to order either, but it's out there.

3.25 or 3.5 are your targets...and if it's alum wheels, all bets are off (test fitting required)

They are aluminum wheels.

if yer mail ordering alums, be prepared for them to not fit....the thicker bead/rim section of them makes fitment difficult. If you can't test fit in the store, or return with no expense, then don't try it.

IIRC, PeteS just went thru this, might check on what he discovered.

I have aluminum American Racing Outlaw II's with 3.5" backspace. They rub the tie-rod ends on my FJ55 with front drums. Im gonna use a 1/4" spacer to make them fit. The other problem was that the studs are too short. I went everywhere looking for longer studs and eventually called Jegs. They sent me Moroso studs that were close, but I still had to grind the plate a little so they would fit. The studs are no longer metric, but they are all the same ( I did my rears too, so I could use all the same lugnuts). If you have any more specific questions, IM me and I try to help. Hodag

I just ordered custome 3.25" bs U.S. Wheels "Crawlers", here is the hookup if you are interested in U.S. Wheels products.

If ya need a US wheel in a custom BSM, call me at Summit Racing. 1-800-230-3030 ext 6354 or ask for Ethan. I work from 3:30pm-2:00am EST. Wed.-Sat. I can hook ya up and on the cheap too!

[quote author=haystax link=board=1;threadid=16946;start=msg163949#msg163949 date=1085529652]
I just ordered custome 3.25" bs U.S. Wheels "Crawlers", here is the hookup if you are interested in U.S. Wheels products.

If ya need a US wheel in a custom BSM, call me at Summit Racing. 1-800-230-3030 ext 6354 or ask for Ethan. I work from 3:30pm-2:00am EST. Wed.-Sat. I can hook ya up and on the cheap too!

[/quote]

This is good to know. I just wish I'd have known about you a month and a half ago. I spent a couple of weeks trying to get someone at Summit to follow through on their promises to set me up with wheels. The first guy was willing to follow along while I explained exactly what I was looking for, but then he dropped the ball big time - answering machine always on, didn't return my calls ever. The next guy just couldn't get his head around the fact that I wanted something that wasn't in the catalog, and I lost patience and quit him. (I was polite; Summit has been excellent with my other needs.) I finally contacted Stockton Wheel and placed my own order.

So I guess it was hit and miss for wheels at Summit for me. ???

woody-- you should just make the ih8mud home page to say "Welcome to the BACKSPACING IS 3.5" FOR STEAL AND WHO KNOWS FOR ALUMINUM FJ40 site."

So..I know this topic is a few years old, but I would like to attempt to ask without making a new thread.

So I am looking for some steel wheels with the 3.25 backspacing to have some good clearance from the tie rod. Anyone running such backspacing wheels, if you could point me in the direction as to where to find them. I simply can not find a set worth while, in a black finish. I have found countless 3.75 inch backspacing, that is what the truck came with and is to close for comfort for me.

Hi all,

I have run generic aftermarket GM/Toyota white "wagon wheels" for a decade or more on my 40. The back spacing is either 3.75 or 4.0 inch. No issues with front brake caliper clearance.

Recently I have been running a set of 17 inch OE FJ Cruiser wheels with 285/70R17 tires (and 4.5 inch back spacing) on my 40. The clearance with the front TREs is tight, but works.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom