What did you work on tonight? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the half way point. How I love to do timing belts 😬😂

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

Can you pull the engine mounts and lower it for a better view?

Well after pulling everything apart it is looking like the head gasket is seeping at the back. It looked like it was coming from higher up, but after cleaning everything really good and pressurizing the system it isn't looking good.

My personality.
Didn't get very far, unfortunately...

I lined up my marks with this T and it bit me in the arse. Engine ran almost ok but bogged down when I stabbed it.

So, I did the project again, in half the time of course !!

View attachment 3318780
And you had managerial duties when this was performed at Bear Ears on a similar engine🤣

And you had managerial duties when this was performed at Bear Ears on a similar engine🤣
Ohy gosh, that was an EPIC engine repair out in the bush. I'll never forget that trip. I was telling Johanna as we drove by that area last Sunday what happened to your rig.

This is the only picture I seem to have of that event. We just got done towing Steve's dead 4Runner to a location where a tow truck can haul it all the way to Blanding.

102_4206.jpg

At the half way point. How I love to do timing belts 😬😂
I'm not a fan of that job but I thankfully live pretty close to @Mauser and he is, and has lots of experience with the 2UZ timing belt job. So I paid him to do the job for me!

I lined up my marks with this T and it bit me in the arse. Engine ran almost ok but bogged down when I stabbed it.

So, I did the project again, in half the time of course !!

I just put the marks in the north position, cut the old belt off and put the new belt on. Previously, I’d take a spark plug out, verify TDC and all that nonsense…this time was quick and dirty 😁 #noragrets

IMG_0294.jpeg

I just put the marks in the north position, cut the old belt off and put the new belt on. Previously, I’d take a spark plug out, verify TDC and all that nonsense…this time was quick and dirty 😁 #noragrets

View attachment 3319394

That's what I'm talking about.

I'm not a fan of that job but I thankfully live pretty close to @Mauser and he is, and has lots of experience with the 2UZ timing belt job. So I paid him to do the job for me!

Yeah, I actually like doing timing belts on Toyotas. The V6 engines and the V8s are pretty much the same. I like the 100 series the best because there is a lot of room to work.

Had a fun ride the other morning when an inner tie rod broke. Luckily I was on the back road home from Edgewood and not moving very fast.
PXL_20230511_213640071.MP.jpg

That sucks. What can be done if that happens on a trail?

It wasn't too difficult to swap out. I had a new one at home so I just had my kid pick me up so I could go find it.

It was in a bad spot leaning heavy on the front left side pointing downhill in soft dirt so I had to swap it out without removing the tire. That made it a little bit of a pain.

If I had a welder with me when it broke I would have put a wet rag around the part coming from the steering rack and welded it good enough to get home.

It wasn't too difficult to swap out. I had a new one at home so I just had my kid pick me up so I could go find it.

It was in a bad spot leaning heavy on the front left side pointing downhill in soft dirt so I had to swap it out without removing the tire. That made it a little bit of a pain.

If I had a welder with me when it broke I would have put a wet rag around the part coming from the steering rack and welded it good enough to get home.

What was the cause of the failure?

What was the cause of the failure?

Oh, I am sure it was somehow caused by the nut behind the wheel. Probably the way I just beat the living hell outta the poor thing.

I was driving down the washboard gravel road, went to turn right around a curve and the right tire turned right like I asked it to. The left tire decided to turn the opposite direction and the truck continued straight. After backing up and kicking the tire a few times I was able to get to the side of the road, but by the time I got there it looked like the pieces had banged together a few times and peened over.

There was no play in the ball and it had grease. The other side looks fine. The tie rods came with the rack and I bought it new from Lexus and installed it 4 or 5 years ago.

Rewired the SwitchPro so that my light whip and rock lights are on separate switches. And replaced the cracked wheel spacer from a weekago

20230508_172544.jpg

I've only ever used those long tubular tools for inner tie rods. What did you use to get it off? Crescent wrench and a dead blow hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom