Tire recommendations for 99% on road driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for recommendations on tires. Won’t be doing any rock crawling or extreme off roading. I live in the Midwest, so I’d like a tire that will perform well during the winter months and those times on unpaved wet and muddy roads. Falken and BFG seem to be a favorite around here but don’t know if there is something better for my circumstances.

Wheel recommends would also be welcome. Doesn’t seem to be many options out there. the ssw off-road wheels are the best looking I’ve found. They all seem to be 17”, so I’m assuming a 285/70/17 is the biggest I can fit on a non lifted one 100?

Appreciate all your advice

I've had BF Goodrich KO and KO2's for years on my Toyota Trucks, and they have been phenomenal. They last forever, and they are the best tires I have ever seen on snow and ice.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S, very hard to beat for your intended use. KO2s may be better for that 1% of light offroad. Good thread on Expo Portal:

As for tire size:

285/70R17 is a ~33" tire and will fit easily.

285/75R17 (and 285/70R18) is a 34" tire and will require some effort to fit.

I'd also recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. That's what I am running and I to an on road 99% of the time. Zero issues, in snow, rain, and ice or mud/gravel when I encounter it.

What ever the tire you buy, make sure the shoulders have decent grooves (small finger fits in) to dissipate water out to the sides.

If you stay on the paved road, except for the look, there is absolutely no reason to have even slightly aggressive tires.

There are some very wise recommendations up here: Michelin.

I had BFG all terrains until I ran over some debris and shredded one of them. I found a set of lx470 rims and almost brand new michilin tires on fb marketplace for $400. With the michilins it rides like a completely different vehicle. The ride quality with michilins is far superior to anything else I have ever had. They're not exactly cheap but as the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.

For 99% on road driving just about 99% of tires will do just fine.

Are you towing or holding any extra weight? If not just stick with a LT truck tire , something name brand and it'll be all good. Don't cheap out.

I'd also recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. That's what I am running and I to an on road 99% of the time. Zero issues, in snow, rain, and ice or mud/gravel when I encounter i
I'd also recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. That's what I am running and I to an on road 99% of the time. Zero issues, in snow, rain, and ice or mud/gravel when I encounter it.
Any recommendation on a load range? I’m not towing anything so I figure a SL would be fine but I’ve seen some posts about better handling with harder tires and the SL being too soft in the corners?

I have the KO2s like many others but for what you're doing I would suggest looking at the BFG Trail-Terrains. They look like a mild K02. I just got them on a different vehicle and they drive very very nice. Can't go wrong with Michelin's either...

I forgot to mention how good the BFG KO2's are on wet pavement.

Any recommendation on a load range? I’m not towing anything so I figure a SL would be fine but I’ve seen some posts about better handling with harder tires and the SL being too soft in the corners?
Just standard load range. I run P265/65R18 114T. No issues or complaints

I forgot to mention how good the BFG KO2's are on wet pavement.

I thought that was everyone's biggest gripe with KO2s - wet performance.

Either way KO2s are overkill for 99% road driving IMO. Michelins or any competitive all weather SUV tire would be a better bet.

A buddy of mine just put these on his Cayenne and likes them - Buy Light Truck Tires - All-Terrain Traction | BFGoodrich Tires - https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/browse-tires/by-category/light-truck-suv-cuv
- more road orientated version of the KO2
- quieter
- lighter
- still ice/snow rated

maybe worth a look

If you live in an area where you get to drive on wet roads, tires with skinny groves won't help. I've witnessed hydroplanning a newer suburban (continental H/T tires) in front of me while I drove on the same road at same speed without a hickup thanks to A/T tires. MPG matters but life above all.

I have had the Michelin LTX M/S and the Cooper Defender HTP. Both are awesome and last forever. I generally ask the tire rep for a price on each and buy the cheaper. Sometimes Cooper runs $50-100 off specials.

I have the KO2s like many others but for what you're doing I would suggest looking at the BFG Trail-Terrains. They look like a mild K02. I just got them on a different vehicle and they drive very very nice. Can't go wrong with Michelin's either...

I replaced my Michelin Defenders with Trail Terrains because I don't need an E rated tire, but always liked BFG KO2s on my trucks. So far they've been great. Quiter than KO2s and the ride seems comparable to the Michelins. Zero issues for the mild offloading I have done.

I thought that was everyone's biggest gripe with KO2s - wet performance.

Either way KO2s are overkill for 99% road driving IMO. Michelins or any competitive all weather SUV tire would be a better bet.

A buddy of mine just put these on his Cayenne and likes them - Buy Light Truck Tires - All-Terrain Traction | BFGoodrich Tires - https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/browse-tires/by-category/light-truck-suv-cuv
- more road orientated version of the KO2
- quieter
- lighter
- still ice/snow rated

maybe worth a look

I don't know what other people say. I only know about my own personal experience with them, and wet weather performance has been stellar. Snow and ice performance has been down right unbelievable. I think I ran my last set for 85,000 miles, and they could have easily and safely gone for another 10-15k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom