Help needed with valve cover gasket bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing passenger side super leaky un safe valve cover gasket and 3 of the bottom bolts broke, after 8 hours (2 hours soak in pb blaster, 2-3 hours looking for right angle drill in different stores. I partially got rid of the bolts.
My question is how big of a drill bit do I use for rethreading, I can still see some old thread in the holes. Also at this point I just want to call a mechanic and get it towed there. which option is better? 1) keep on going and try rethreading or 2) just call a mechanic and get it done by them.

My 3rd option is to get long enough bolts so they stick out a little and then use a nut from below to tighten the valve cover. Would this work?

I know there are numerous threads on this but I cannot seem to find what drill bits were used.

I broke one off, iirc you can use a smaller drill and drive the broken bolt out the bottom without touching the threads, or are you past that point?

Way past that point, i tried reverse drill bit they would grip the bolt but those were like welded in they did not budge. Also a bolt extrator broke In one of the holes but thatt broken piece came out easily.
What do you think about option 3. I am just exhausted and just want to get done with it.

Way past that point, i tried reverse drill bit they would grip the bolt but those were like welded in they did not budge. Also a bolt extrator broke In one of the holes but thatt broken piece came out easily.
What do you think about option 3. I am just exhausted and just want to get done with it.

How come simply drilling out the broken bolt hole's to the proper size for the proper size TAP won't work ?

carefully tap new threads by hand and your done

I guess this comes down down too how professional a job you want when you are done and how handy you are. These bolts are only supposed to have like 12 ft lbs of torque so we're not talking a high stress situation. You said there was still some thread? Wrap copper wire around the faster and drive it in. You could also use a helicoil. A propersized u nut could work but be hard to find. I wonder if there's enough clearance for regular nuts but if there is go for it, this would be the easiest and most effective option.

How come simply drilling out the broken bolt hole's to the proper size for the proper size TAP won't work ?

carefully tap new threads by hand and your done

The problem is with drilling part cannot seem to find a drill to fit it in there, got one from Harbor Freight and that broke as well. The regular drill I have dont fit in the tight spot.

If your frustrated and at the end of the rope take it to a shop. You might cause more damage. Been there done that.

Yes, I stepped back from the drilling, my brother is helping me out now, he is drilling while I am installing the plug covers. For now we just were able to get the bolts in 2. But I am going to use a nut from the bottom.

I guess this comes down down too how professional a job you want when you are done and how handy you are. These bolts are only supposed to have like 12 ft lbs of torque so we're not talking a high stress situation. You said there was still some thread? Wrap copper wire around the faster and drive it in. You could also use a helicoil. A propersized u nut could work but be hard to find. I wonder if there's enough clearance for regular nuts but if there is go for it, this would be the easiest and most effective option.

I want it to be perfect and professional but I am a little tired, its just so time consuming. I think you are right the nut will be the most effective option. I will try to upload pictures.

I plan on using the following bolts with nuts

The problem is with drilling part cannot seem to find a drill to fit it in there, got one from Harbor Freight and that broke as well. The regular drill I have dont fit in the tight spot.

screw harbor frieght on this one

u need a precision specialty tool at a fair price as well

i purchased this MINI right angle swivel drill attachment a while back at Sears , its really a great built tool

in my opinion this will do your drilling job like clock work fast and efficient good same time

this is a Heavy Duty Compact tool for your needs

was under $50 , like $25-35 if i recall

go get one now today , and practice with it first

I also have all the tap and die & corresponding correct size drill bits chart if u need that info

good luck ;)

DSCN9385.JPG
DSCN9386.JPG
DSCN9387.JPG

screw harbor frieght on this one

u need a precision specialty tool at a fair price as well

i purchased this MINI right angle swivel drill attachment a while back at Sears , its really a great built tool

in my opinion this will do your drilling job like clock work fast and efficient good same time

this is a Heavy Duty Compact tool for your needs

was under $50 , like $25-35 if i recall

go get one now today , and practice with it first

I also have all the tap and die & corresponding correct size drill bits chart if u need that info

good luck ;)

View attachment 1818722 View attachment 1818723 View attachment 1818724

Thank You, this looks like a great tool and soon will add it to my tool list. The harbor freight drill has now out of commission the plastic housing broke off taking it back tomorrow.

FYI: I was able to drill out all the pieces thanks to my brother he did most of the drilling today. I did go with a bolt and nut option, I got M8 bolts long enough to put a nut on the from the bottom. I know the nuts will be probably rust quickly but I will deal with that later for now the leak is fixed.

Thank You all for your suggestions and help.

This just happened to me this past weekend... I'm going to hold off on drilling it out and retapping the hole. But will it be ok to drive like this with the new valve cover gasket?

This just happened to me this past weekend... I'm going to hold off on drilling it out and retapping the hole. But will it be ok to drive like this with the new valve cover gasket?
If you snapped off one bolt and put a new gasket in, you can probably drive it for a little while but you're going to get leaking from that missing section eventually. I wouldn't go through the effort of putting everything back in. I'd get bolt extracting bit, tap, and some dual metal bits and clean that bolt out. The challenge is the head is aluminum and the bolt is steel so you want to start with a VERY small drill bit and get it centered. If you get that small bit to track down the center of the bolt, try the extractor again as you'll have released quite a bit of tension in the bolt by center drilling it.

I gave up on drilling/tapping bolts a long time ago. Get a mig/rig welder with shielding gas, grab a scrap bolt and weld it to the broken bolt. Works for recessed broken bolts and regular ones.

B276B779-7262-4376-840D-4F64A27CEF35.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom