70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dropped the axles with my good friend @orangefj45. I consider his shop Valley Hybrids in Stockton, the holiest site in the central valley, CA. The axles did fit in the back of our diesel 60 and since on Friday I'm towing my son's 1978 FJ40 to Oregon, we rented a trailed and I brought back Kermit after replacing the diffs with 3.73. The 1HDT has way too much torque, so we figured we could use better gearing. I could not strap the front tires because the strap was meant for a Yaris, so I took the air out of the front tires. Made it home safely.

Also got most parts to assemble the painted pedals. They do look better then new with that powder coating. All new bushings and pads.
IMG_8484.JPG
IMG_8485.JPG
IMG_8488.JPG

Today I got the steering box from Red Head Steering. These guys are just phenomenal. They inspect and rebuild it better then specs. It came out of the 79 which is similar to the 105. Note the difference in the size of the arm. The original one (on the right) was not power steering, so I'll have to shorten the steering rod that connects to it.

IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8550.JPG

IMG_8552.jpg

One more box arrived just now from Japan. Dave Steadman is a savior for finding hard parts. The front coil towers are in, and I have all the parts for the coil conversion. At first the plan was to rip it from the 79 frame, but the price was right, and that frame can be used by someone to build a rock crowler.

IMG_8553.jpg
IMG_8554.jpg

Productive morning. I’m at point of no return. The brackets for the leaf springs are cut off the frame. Still need to grind and smooth the weld marks. Once it’s done, I’ll clean the spots on the frame for the new brackets for the coil springs and tack weld them. The location I can measure from the 79 frame. It’s sitting right there just for that.

108E4B06-75E1-4B66-8376-3B7C90A82677.jpeg

28116D1F-5807-48FB-860A-BB8E833682F6.jpeg

EDC60F66-E786-41E1-BD72-00BCB3A5C234.jpeg

CB526F7C-5F67-4D36-BDFE-AB2AE79AFB67.jpeg

6AC3C8E5-A3D7-4366-A485-EED634C7D9BF.jpeg

What brand did you get Flywheel, Clutch and pressures plate?
Flywheel was stock from a 1HDFT that came from Europe. I exchanged the A440F that came with this engine with a H151 that came with the 1HDFT including the bellhousing. Clutch (DTX113) and press plate (CT109) were AISIN.

BTW, flywheel Toyota #13405-17020

Flywheel was stock from a 1HDFT that came from Europe. I exchanged the A440F that came with this engine with a H151 that came with the 1HDFT including the bellhousing. Clutch (DTX113) and press plate (CT109) were AISIN.

BTW, flywheel Toyota #13405-17020

Thanks for the input, the next big thing I will be doing is transmission, engine rebuild + turbo after the troppy is back on the frame

Thanks for the input, the next big thing I will be doing is transmission, engine rebuild + turbo after the troppy is back on the frame
I’ve been watching you IG posts. Bullet holes? Interesting. What engine do you have in it?

I’ve been watching you IG posts. Bullet holes? Interesting. What engine do you have in it?

Yes the truck was originally sold in Georgia we presume it serves as an ambulance in the mountains and something happened... they repaired it the best they could but when replacing the quarter panel we found a dozen of big caliber holes ... currently have 1HZ with 264000KM so my intentions are the put the engine turbo with H152 transmissions if I can source one later..

Yes the truck was originally sold in Georgia we presume it serves as an ambulance in the mountains and something happened... they repaired it the best they could but when replacing the quarter panel we found a dozen of big caliber holes ... currently have 1HZ with 264000KM so my intentions are the put the engine turbo with H152 transmissions if I can source one later..
The H152 is available in AUZ. My friend just bought one. Almost $5K.

What are you planning on the inside? You have a layout?

I’m planning a 100 L stainless water tank in the back instead of the spare. A Espar hydronic heater for cab and water. The interior similar to our 80 series, except AluCab popup roof, and maybe LiPo battery for induction and small oven. If not maybe a diesel cooktop and AGM batteries. I see yours (78) has coils in the front. I have to convert mine, but installing 79 suspension. Everything is so much beefier. But I can smell the end at this point. Tomorrow is my last day of cutting off stuff and staring to assemble. 12 more months maybe.

The H152 is available in AUZ. My friend just bought one. Almost $5K.

What are you planning on the inside? You have a layout?

I’m planning a 100 L stainless water tank in the back instead of the spare. A Espar hydronic heater for cab and water. The interior similar to our 80 series, except AluCab popup roof, and maybe LiPo battery for induction and small oven. If not maybe a diesel cooktop and AGM batteries. I see yours (78) has coils in the front. I have to convert mine, but installing 79 suspension. Everything is so much beefier. But I can smell the end at this point. Tomorrow is my last day of cutting off stuff and staring to assemble. 12 more months maybe.

Did he purchase directly from the dealer?

When I imported my diff housing and long ranger tank, I included a 55L stainless tank that fit under the truck with a small pump, I am 100% for a diesel cooktop as per I don't want to carry different types of fuel. I have the layout in my head hahaha we start this winter with a frame to use for meat to bolt on the floors and inside the quarter panel to maximize space. Then we will build aluminum cabinets with a flooding bed for my daughter and the dog...

Electric wise I have put 2 Odyssey in the front and will put a 170 Renology for the house battery and the alternator is a 390 AMP that will help charge will driving’s

Those series 70 are strong and have a proven track record can't wait to hit the road again but like you a few more months to go :)

Here's a photo of the passenger side meat frame :

IMG_6745.jpg

Did he purchase directly from the dealer?

When I imported my diff housing and long ranger tank, I included a 55L stainless tank that fit under the truck with a small pump, I am 100% for a diesel cooktop as per I don't want to carry different types of fuel. I have the layout in my head hahaha we start this winter with a frame to use for meat to bolt on the floors and inside the quarter panel to maximize space. Then we will build aluminum cabinets with a flooding bed for my daughter and the dog...

Electric wise I have put 2 Odyssey in the front and will put a 170 Renology for the house battery and the alternator is a 390 AMP that will help charge will driving’s

Those series 70 are strong and have a proven track record can't wait to hit the road again but like you a few more months to go :)

Here's a photo of the passenger side meat frame :

View attachment 3060920
If you are not using induction cooking, you don’t need that much electric power. On the 80 we have 2 AGM batteries that supply everything. The fridge is a 44 L and can run for a week off one battery without charge. I put a Terrain Tamer 120A alternator and that is plenty. I did a lot of calculations and unless you use hair drier or espresso machine or induction cooktop all the time, there is no need for all this. We spent two 30 days trips in the 80, one to AK and one to the east coast. Self supported for over a week and never had issues. We slept in 21F and the car would start after 3 days in this weather. I think most over do it but the math proofs differently.

If you are not using induction cooking, you don’t need that much electric power. On the 80 we have 2 AGM batteries that supply everything. The fridge is a 44 L and can run for a week off one battery without charge. I put a Terrain Tamer 120A alternator and that is plenty. I did a lot of calculations and unless you use hair drier or espresso machine or induction cooktop all the time, there is no need for all this. We spent two 30 days trips in the 80, one to AK and one to the east coast. Self supported for over a week and never had issues. We slept in 21F and the car would start after 3 days in this weather. I think most over do it but the math proofs differently.

Yeah I know it's overkill...but this setup will be for more than one week off the grid sometimes and it's my first build so will probably learn from a few errors along the way as per the alternator is already purchased lol

This is the diesel cooktop and heater I was planning to get

Wallas XC Duo - All-In-One Heating and Cooking Solution for Camper Vans - https://wallas.fi/product/xc-duo/

Yeah I know it's overkill...but this setup will be for more than one week off the grid sometimes and it's my first build so will probably learn from a few errors along the way as per the alternator is already purchased lol

Wallas XC Duo - All-In-One Heating and Cooking Solution for Camper Vans - https://wallas.fi/product/xc-duo/
That is a nice stove. Did not see the heater. Webasto are almost $2k. Do you know the price of this one?

In your 80 series video which I have listening many times before seeing your post here, you mentioned getting the drawers in Aviation aluminum from Amazon?

In your 80 series video which I have listening many times before seeing your post here, you mentioned getting the drawers in Aviation aluminum from Amazon?
They are no longer available on Amazon, but can get them here.

That is a really neat solution to cooking and heating, thanks for sharing it. Wallas makes great products, they are often used in the marine industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom