Big Bend in Late January or Early Feb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys, I am afraid that I am going to pass on this trip :mad::crybaby:. I tested positive for covid today, Even though it is open spaces there, I would not want to make anyone uncomfortable or take a chance and infect any of you or other folks along the way. I had been looking forward to this trip for months now but I also need to stay back and make sure my wife and daughter are ok.

@bobcatag2006, my son Luis @92RedToy is still planning on leaving Monday morning, don't worry, he doesn't live with us so he is not contagious!

So I had booked the first two (mon-tues) nights at tres Papalotes, and was waiting to hear from @MrBaconjr for the Pinto Canyon rd excursion, see above. I had planned on booking wed-thurs nights not too far from sauceda station to facilitate drive time, especially for Friday morning when it is time for the long drive back to Centex.

Guys, I am afraid that I am going to pass on this trip :mad::crybaby:. I tested positive for covid today, Even though it is open spaces there, I would not want to make anyone uncomfortable or take a chance and infect any of you or other folks along the way. I had been looking forward to this trip for months now but I also need to stay back and make sure my wife and daughter are ok.

@bobcatag2006, my son Luis @92RedToy is still planning on leaving Monday morning, don't worry, he doesn't live with us so he is not contagious!

So I had booked the first two (mon-tues) nights at tres Papalotes, and was waiting to hear from @MrBaconjr for the Pinto Canyon rd excursion, see above. I had planned on booking wed-thurs nights not too far from sauceda station to facilitate drive time, especially for Friday morning when it is time for the long drive back to Centex.
@meatloaf sorry to hear about that. I hope your symptoms are lite and you recover quickly.

@MrBaconjr - I am still interested in a Thursday run but need to figure out my plan. I Will let everyone know what I decide. @The Phoenician - What are you thinking for the Thursday Run? If you want to join, what time would you prefer to meet in Marfa? I believe you are staying in BBSP.

Man I am sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to meeting you along with everyone else. Thanks for planning all of this. Is there anything we can do for the remainder of the trip?

@92RedToy I am free to meet you anywhere along I35 Monday morning in SMTX. Do you have any preferences or know when you are planning to leave?

@MrBaconjr and @PearlLX470 I am heading there Monday and plan to head back home Thursday so I will be there Wednesday after the 2 nights at Tres Papalotes. Just let me know if there is anything you need me to do.

Hope you have a mild and easy case of this, @meatloaf

Man I am sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to meeting you along with everyone else. Thanks for planning all of this. Is there anything we can do for the remainder of the trip?

@92RedToy I am free to meet you anywhere along I35 Monday morning in SMTX. Do you have any preferences or know when you are planning to leave?

@MrBaconjr and @PearlLX470 I am heading there Monday and plan to head back home Thursday so I will be there Wednesday after the 2 nights at Tres Papalotes. Just let me know if there is anything you need me to do.

I know a lot of places in SM, so I’ll meet you anywhere. I also wanted to ask what route you wanted to take on the way there? My dad mentioned taking IH10..

I know a lot of places in SM, so I’ll meet you anywhere. I also wanted to ask what route you wanted to take on the way there? My dad mentioned taking IH10..

Great! From SMTX it is about a 9hr trip to the state park via I-10. I just put it in Google maps so that route is fine with me. I've never been to the state park so I'm open to other ways to get there.

If we meet at 7am that should put us there between 4-5pm (right?). I can leave earlier or later if you want. We can meet at the Whataburger at exit 204 on the Southeast corner (State Hwy 123) if that works for you.

I was looking forward to meeting everyone as well, but maybe at Round Up. I have not reserved a spot for the last two nights (wed & thurs), was waiting to get an idea where everyone was at logistically, I can find a spot and reserve if you all want me to?

I was looking forward to meeting everyone as well, but maybe at Round Up. I have not reserved a spot for the last two nights (wed & thurs), was waiting to get an idea where everyone was at logistically, I can find a spot and reserve if you all want me to?

That works for me if you don't mind.

@meatloaf that is awful news- so sorry to hear. Good news is there is plenty of good weather left to come on out before it gets blazing hot.

@bobcatag2006 - it's probably 9 hours to the State Park Ranger Station, and then another hour plus to the camp site. You planning on coming tru Marfa, down to Presidio, then into the park?

Great! From SMTX it is about a 9hr trip to the state park via I-10. I just put it in Google maps so that route is fine with me. I've never been to the state park so I'm open to other ways to get there.

If we meet at 7am that should put us there between 4-5pm (right?). I can leave earlier or later if you want. We can meet at the Whataburger at exit 204 on the Southeast corner (State Hwy 123) if that works for you.
Is it ok if we meet around 7:30? Austin traffic is very unpredictable..

@meatloaf that is awful news- so sorry to hear. Good news is there is plenty of good weather left to come on out before it gets blazing hot.

@bobcatag2006 - it's probably 9 hours to the State Park Ranger Station, and then another hour plus to the camp site. You planning on coming tru Marfa, down to Presidio, then into the park?

yes that is the path Google maps takes me. Thoughts or suggestions?

Is it ok if we meet around 7:30? Austin traffic is very unpredictable..

that will be perfect. I’ll get there early to grab some breakfast taquitos. I’ll PM you my cell #

I will be leaving around 8 am on Wednesday. Anyone driving from Austin on that day? if so want to caravan?

Anyone have thoughts on where we should/can stay on Wed/Thursday.

I did book a spot in BBSP for Friday night before the drive back to Austin on Saturday.

For Wednesday and Thursday night I have reservations at Tres Papalotes that can hold up to 12 people and has water hookups. Let me know if anyone needs a place to crash those nights.

Last edited:
@The Phoenician - I will join you but don't want to impose. I will PM you with my contact info.

@bobcatag2006 & @92RedToy, @The Phoenician is correct, it is more fun when shared with others. I would suggest that you contact Mike so that he can add you to his reservation, then you can just Venmo or PayPay, etc. the fees
So your reservations are tres papalotes and so are @The Phoenician at tres Papalotes Wednesday and Thursday?

sounds good to me and makes it easy. I’ll pm my vehicle info to you and just let me know how much I owe. Same to you @meatloaf how much do I need to send you for Monday and Tuesday?

looks like i won't be able to make it. hopefully will see some of y'all at Round Up next month. @MrBaconjr - I live in Alpine, it would be great to meet up sometime either out this way or in Marfa.

Looks like there's a butane canister shortage in our area. Been to 5 different stores that said they had them online but when I got there the shelves were empty and non were in the back.

Might have to cook with propane this time.

Looking at my route today. It looks like the best thing to do is to drive through Presidio. There is a slightly shorter route cutting through the northern part of the park, but I cannot tell if there is a ranger station that way. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom