Post your wheeling damage pics (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From the Deer Valley trail last week:

View attachment 2467870

The Total Chaos skids did their job:

View attachment 2467871

I was surprised the rear bumper didn't sustain more damage than it did.

View attachment 2467873

The Slee sliders did their job but sustained some damage:

View attachment 2467875

Somehow the passenger fender liner caught the tire while reversing and ripped out:

View attachment 2467876
Are the sliders bent or is it just the angle of the picture?

Nice!!
I see you’re working on the sales pitch for bumper/sliders. ;)
That’s a weird one on the wheel well skirting. Never seen one rip right out like that...especially without big knobby tires.

What were the temperatures out there? So ready for the socal heatwaves to go away.
Yeah it was pretty humorous when the skirting came out. People were like "what the heck?" Temperatures were kind of cool. It was only around 70 during the days. It's usually warmer there but we hit right during a cold spell.

Are the sliders bent or is it just the angle of the picture?
They torqued/twisted a bit. The front on both sides are twisted upwards slightly. I'm trying to figure out a way to bend them back down.

Does wheeling damage in the suburbs count? Unfortunate deer encounter today.

Can report 35s with Tundra big brakes work well! Locked up the tires with ABS threshold cycling with strong braking at about 65mph as soon as I saw it coming out from the side of the road. Scrubbed a good amount of speed but the deer still took a good punt sending it about 20 ft. Deer leapt so impact was primarily on the upper soft parts of the front end. Stunned the deer for a few mins, but she got up and scampered away okay. She'll be feeling that one.

LX took a good flesh wound taking out the grill, passenger headlight, cracked upper bumper cover, and bent hood. I think the radiator is okay.

No worries as this is what insurance is for. Flesh wound. Am I bored enough to take on body work (front end all bolts in) and send it to paint...or just drop her off...

Off-road bumper time? :cool: Given the nature of the hit, probably only a full bull bar type bumper would have helped. Deer likely would have perished in that kind of hit though.

1603051197495.png

1603051235680.png

Last edited:
Does wheeling damage in the suburbs count? Unfortunately deer encounter today.

Can report 35s with Tundra big brakes work well! Locked up the tires with ABS threshold cycling with strong braking at about 65mph as soon as I saw it coming out from the side of the road. Scrubbed a good amount of speed but the deer still took a good punt sending it about 20 ft. Deer leapt so impact was primarily on the upper soft parts of the front end. Stunned the deer for a few mins, but she got up and scampered away okay. She'll be feeling that one.

LX took a good flesh wound taking out the grill, passenger headlight, cracked upper bumper cover, and bent hood. I think the radiator is okay.

No worries as this is what insurance is for. Flesh wound. Am I bored enough to take on body work (front end all bolts in) and send it to paint...or just drop her off...

Off-road bumper time? :cool: Given the nature of the hit, probably only a full bull bar type bumper would have helped. Deer likely would have perished in that kind of hit though.

View attachment 2468788

View attachment 2468789
Doesn't look bad at all for a deer hit

View attachment 2468788

View attachment 2468789
Oh man I am sorry to hear that. Glad it looks cosmetic only.

Oh man, that sucks! Glad it wasn't worse. Good thing you are sitting so tall. Any lower that deer might have been up on the hood.

...Definitely bumper time. 💪

View attachment 2468788

View attachment 2468789

Dang😱

Gonna plus 1 all this bumper talk #peerpressure

Better him than you ;)

You know if you go down the bumper route the loss of aerodymanics will be an excuse to re-do your recent DIY gear change to 4.88s...

A cool $5k estimate for a flesh wound. No surprise as these are expensive rigs with some pricey components, including a front camera quoted at $1200!

Current plan is to fix with stock parts. Priority still being able to preserve enough payload for towing with some semblance of towing efficiency. 9-10 MPG under tow puts things into perspective. I'd like to travel to some farther corners of the states one day.

Bright side being an '09, is the front end wear and paint, including pin stripes should be nicely refreshed. Thanks Bambi.

Last edited:
A cool $5k estimate for a flesh wound. No surprise as these are expensive rigs with some pricey components, including a front camera quoted at $1200!

Current plan is to fix with stock parts. Priority still being able to preserve enough payload for towing with some semblance of towing efficiency. 9-10 MPG under tow puts things into perspective. I'd like to travel to some farther corners of the states one day.

Ouch ... :(
hope you get it fixed and back to normal soon.

It's not too late to take a Tahoe vacation, work with @benc on an aluminum LX version with stinger and light protection rails, and still be under $5k. . . . I keep waiting for this bumper to be created . . . you could be my hero @TeCKis300!

Is the front camera really non functional?

Thanks and no worries. I'm not torn up about it and it's the "beater" 3rd car, if a 200-series could ever be that? Utility and off-road toy might be better words. As we all know, these cars have strong bones to take some rough and tumble. It's what insurance is for, and she'll be back and better than she was in no time.

Camera works but looks like some integral brackets broke so they're replacing. Current one has a good amount of pits in the lens so that might not be a bad thing?

This isn't a 200 of course, but it's a very important reminder to always be super vigilant on the trail. The actual accident sounds like it was a combination of bad decisions mixed in with incredible luck - no one was killed, though the ejected passenger was severely injured, and the Jeep below the accident was about 2 seconds from getting knocked off the trail and most likely killed. Totally insane stuff!

This isn't a 200 of course, but it's a very important reminder to always be super vigilant on the trail. The actual accident sounds like it was a combination of bad decisions mixed in with incredible luck - no one was killed, though the ejected passenger was severely injured, and the Jeep below the accident was about 2 seconds from getting knocked off the trail and most likely killed. Totally insane stuff!

Oh my... So glad no one died. Incredible. The stuff nervous passengers imagine...but that’s as real as it gets.

Not sure whether I’ll show this one to the wife. She was a little nervous on Black Bear in the rain her first time.

Oh my... So glad no one died. Incredible. The stuff nervous passengers imagine...but that’s as real as it gets.

Not sure whether I’ll show this one to the wife. She was a little nervous on Black Bear in the rain her first time.
My wife saw this video and totally ‘NOPE’d on doing that trail lol

From what I read it sounds like maybe the e-brake didn't hold. Sounds like he turned the engine off, set the brake, and got out, and then it started rolling. Guy tried to jump back in but the vehicle threw him as it started to roll off the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom