Leaking from hubs when hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the LX on a road trip and ran it for several hours in AR heat at fast highway speeds...when I arrived i noticed small seepage from the rear hubs (I assume since the fluid was all around the lug nuts). Any thoughts? is this normal or indicative of seals that need to be replaced? Was not a lot of fluid at all. could not tell if it was brake fluid but that would be my guess.

Took the LX on a road trip and ran it for several hours in AR heat at fast highway speeds...when I arrived i noticed small seepage from the rear hubs (I assume since the fluid was all around the lug nuts). Any thoughts? is this normal or indicative of seals that need to be replaced? Was not a lot of fluid at all. could not tell if it was brake fluid but that would be my guess.
Do you know where brake fluid goes?

That would be axle seals that is holding in the grease and oil in the rear axle and would require a new axle flange gasket. If it's leaking, that may also indicate that your rear axle vent is clogged and needs attention. As it heats up, it creates pressure inside the axle and pushes out oil at the weakest point, usually the pinion seal or the axle flange or the hub seal.

Probably take the truck in for a repack and reseal of the rear hubs and a rear fluid change and check the housing vent.

While you're in there, take a look at your brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom