CW 2.0 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those new rims on your 61 look really good. I think this is one of those very rare few times I've witnessed you buying something so shiny and brand new. Must be the COVID....suddenly pinching ones pennies for the future no longer makes as much sense as it used to. :hillbilly:

Those new rims on your 61 look really good. I think this is one of those very rare few times I've witnessed you buying something so shiny and brand new. Must be the COVID....suddenly pinching ones pennies for the future no longer makes as much sense as it used to. :hillbilly:
Haha yeah, mainly I was just tired of ****ing around and dealing with rim bs.

I wanted it over with. I'll happily spend 10 hours in the shop building something from scratch that I could easily buy, but if I can't and I need it, ****it.

Plus, my retirement planning doesn't need to extend past next month...:lol:

Haircut looks about right.

I'm starting to eyeball my beard trimmer and whether it could survive a full scalping.

Kinda suck if it died halfway :lol:

72F39A26-F377-4513-8F07-4F321DE576C6.jpeg

Turns out the tenant can cut hair. Apparently took a course a long time ago and hasn't done it in ages.

I volunteered as tribute. I've never been so happy to get scalped. :lol:

Speaking of not doing something for decades, I got this greasy old brute running again for the first time in, well, probably decades.

H95cNa_8uiWgcJwwJSb_LhEIxQxRjUde2GCNhUtgGGf-5yxcEMYFdXIUCrFGIdkh1xzqdho6lkR4VZpZdYKYS0VHSRrFzAEzaRtsHls0xk26KsYzSC4nl4NaeaLFdZOHmCqZltfSfaBslgj4EViHwS5zo7947aBz5SIRMmSQQ3T18Lv-mL06sgmNzN_kxhsuAdrRPfLuPQECvjsL0TLD06vnUocKV26cUctzUZQasnO1V7H4gtNA9UMP3XiiYuLbAVFZRyjfwjULXTWI-ljXH7O6YdM1NgdNmcKeQ6P29iBqPrQZXnQawzsgG8h8XOCbe49nGyk_IFfT7r046O_Vd0yL6ocIh-ss-T6CgzSJHzgHOLWJl7Yv68i33tei8n-PaGFmM4-xgvOZUF14qph0R15l2W-QH6WPBL7y4C_Ta0kIhzQhtm7xE_VjIBfEGRGXmuWzE0kbrVidThEv8uU0FBQAsr9tNIYjlu7EWNrzxtMvsF4lbnGQUq3ozbowpy3GAGSHEFuT0OOZFA9-LlCedcKgQpZutZq5arx48eBlNS3Cp5XJsUYF67pf52WdHEkEF4u7k872k3VDvG1g9DhNmQN4l34mRxD0hkNlblbN2DXHnMwGipepmLYGjST8GImQqQWdSOcIPufAKMlCxicg7S27hY3vNadGAb7o6m5FIkK4wd9-HDVlLNQtSY95gQ=w834-h625-no

Actually pretty quiet until I engage the feed gears, then it gets a bit talky, but it's only about 120 years old, so one hardly expects modern luxury.

Because the main feed is belt driven on these ancients, it makes it really simple to hook that up to a separate variable speed motor so you can have whatever speed you want, then I'd only be using the gears on the back for threading, which I can't imagine I'll be doing much of anyways.

Kinda like that idea, but low priority unless a little treadmill motor or something drops out of the sky on me. (bin of surplus hospital bed motors suddenly comes to mind....:hmm:)

All in all, it seems in reasonable shape for it's age, considering I'll probably be in the ground for 50 years before I reach the same vintage, and this thing will probably still be staining someone's shop floor.

This part I'm looking forward to... if my math is right, it's doing about 16 RPM on lowest speed.

( you can see the molasses tide line on the face plate :lol: )

o580QTtLHkP3jqFYDPCgkW9_56BaBauiWBxU3C7sDhj_6akBklCLl8ZL0WbNdvdJAMo6YhSHiQA0OiQ2TiFd9AkN9ctkg3urf1DFHtaq-BMJkNgdgqKAYWTqJRXBFYQYzLpEllzpgc07yEKKEvJnOpgCVXNMxXN1HkR5l44V7ZoufnMrHe3DNow1KgLtp0-buUxkyPpKatSLbRMfAWn6DIJgwCQHheZc7N_ysqU9EGF_ePSa5FQT11NBjmxXkiouUza2czDAoxYCTvSQCYjkAXkW3ekeNBPmT2I2gf-DT_LVQRjmnO8wQAzGigoxfVbuvsDB0bRHmIS-er3fH4YXHnPIyKnLUlE1w2kuE6D_CF9g5dJyNiZXo3exB1AOgRMlck2FaIU2SWGEw-H0GtMjnwY6rmRE5d6UR16f66yyZFt9XaDgeGFujc6lzeAnRoiMb_KLMeog18JEt-2RWZ7Bt3f-NahJI6AktKUQwWhpdUgch7No_OhUZY8iJJKiwefOiHjubdHiAJkiN9SQJa4VrvaYrVkf5uMbObw3t-8fY-bgQrucgkWIWkzOrep-Eqao7ewIqpMMLBvoRLM2bH8AJKL-YBPb2UJZdaza7_9BvMipDczSHiXkmLCkhtHUcR0t5MtLBmFYWjw2ZZ0jQMjXXx4m1H96-ch1Cx2r0A1zgfg4P_vEwvvw90pOWRgyJw=w834-h625-no

I do plan to make up a couple more guards, but you can only do so much with these things. Something is always spinning that you really don't want to get near.

I want to get a milling machine too, but I could see maybe going for something a smidge more modern. :p

Love it! Old school cool.

I have to agree, that is pretty darn cool. Nice to see you got it all setup and working. The custom bracket on the wall with motor and everything was a good way to go in keeping your floor space free. Those big belts are a wee bit scary, but that's what separates the men from the boys. :hillbilly:

Don’t worry... if you loose an arm, I know how to make you a new one. I have many clients who live quite normal lives after loosing one. ;)

Cool old tool. :D

Ha, yeah it's probably not something that causes "minor" injuries.

I was going to put the upper pulleys up higher, like a really old school shop with the line shaft running up on the ceiling. Watched a lot of the " old steam powered machine shop" channel on youtube. Decided not to because I didn't want to have to get a ladder every time I had to do something.

A buddy is an xray tech, the number of "hand vs tablesaw" xrays he's done is frankly alarming. Almost weekly.

I was always a "2 push stick" guy on my saw even before his horror stories.

We had a big scary old lathe at the boat yard, much bigger and scarier than this, the flat belt was hidden by the giant freaking transmission hanging overhead. This one could pull off body parts without much trouble too tho.

Good to have some healthy fear when running a machine. Smaller ones tend to lull you to sleep, familiarity breeding contempt etc.

This one exudes menace so I don't really see that happening.

Watch in pocket, short sleeves only, and stand the **** back.

So hopefully all that means I continue to be able to jerk off with either hand in the future. :p

Speaking of jerking off with both hands, now back to cruisers...:lol:

Seeing as the weather is shyte, I figgered I should get my winch going. I find it interesting that Ramsey and Warn use essentially the same motors, but Ramsey control them with two solenoids instead of 4.

Amazingly these solenoids still work fine just need 30 years of spider s*** cleaned off.
I have that shiny new Runva contactor I got on a group buy years ago, which would make things nice and clean, but I'm kinda leaning towards just using the originals.

If I mount the runva in the engine bay now, sure as s*** it'll be in the way of eventual intercooler crap. Also means more cabling if I mount it remotely, and my bin o' cables is starting to get a little sparse.

B1o47ckPuELLIlz8DEJlkLKdHvFQ4xJv6RpWnUU4Y6ixi67cXK2cvp7M6oinXkHqR48tprcOEjnVfauRXuUSge3X74pfM4rOIW1h08RvUwbv7m16E1o1Io_AcWjK1eycvGa6kBvuSbKElz60HJ32PIpZAQKd5hKyJpIJxYZ9rlpoelIY3ypMqRKd5jk13-1e6enBaghOdP-hj6sdmNcp7oNJ-LiGIoKyxK-ERXpM2lEM5dnoVfExl9QtgFqeC5xHQFCjXn2fH4oe6teCSjvmnqj9B01CAi26sFjiwhkWfgHSYbcA5Vu2op2KmKlGCrNXP1WSOKGvr3M5fxIHmZ8eSCMmGG3WsYkyV4HNfpqLg2zjLi6hu-TL1n9rm0kLqunN9Yv887kYaD3xq1WcYBsmPwMEaPN3h_S8X1xAqmTJVnHpc9kIZpVSESUgZSRpLacBuF9hnO0euCbNE_RdkY4UxLNW9vGDw7kSwXiOqfiiti5Ha_m_b_q4ARb-FpV-kXQ5qnjb4dABV2OIJnjl4EEEou_Ujh--tngp-K10r5AYhPZjhB2KG-XDvnoT09VT4uvH677iYDoIcjlUFyBwQWXFgRV6smUiisrBmCTlGNAxNQxThLTYenRKH1RT0nTH2rFnllH6IxgPv7aBhAg_nF1xl1wajLZQOEO1tNUGlJ311r6NrWQSZohaAbHAOWK-Fg=w834-h625-no

Last edited:
I have to agree, that is pretty darn cool. Nice to see you got it all setup and working. The custom bracket on the wall with motor and everything was a good way to go in keeping your floor space free. Those big belts are a wee bit scary, but that's what separates the limbs from the torsos. :hillbilly:
Fixed it for you.

Turns out the tenant can cut hair. Apparently took a course a long time ago and hasn't done it in ages.

I volunteered as tribute. I've never been so happy to get scalped. :lol:

Speaking of not doing something for decades, I got this greasy old brute running again for the first time in, well, probably decades.

H95cNa_8uiWgcJwwJSb_LhEIxQxRjUde2GCNhUtgGGf-5yxcEMYFdXIUCrFGIdkh1xzqdho6lkR4VZpZdYKYS0VHSRrFzAEzaRtsHls0xk26KsYzSC4nl4NaeaLFdZOHmCqZltfSfaBslgj4EViHwS5zo7947aBz5SIRMmSQQ3T18Lv-mL06sgmNzN_kxhsuAdrRPfLuPQECvjsL0TLD06vnUocKV26cUctzUZQasnO1V7H4gtNA9UMP3XiiYuLbAVFZRyjfwjULXTWI-ljXH7O6YdM1NgdNmcKeQ6P29iBqPrQZXnQawzsgG8h8XOCbe49nGyk_IFfT7r046O_Vd0yL6ocIh-ss-T6CgzSJHzgHOLWJl7Yv68i33tei8n-PaGFmM4-xgvOZUF14qph0R15l2W-QH6WPBL7y4C_Ta0kIhzQhtm7xE_VjIBfEGRGXmuWzE0kbrVidThEv8uU0FBQAsr9tNIYjlu7EWNrzxtMvsF4lbnGQUq3ozbowpy3GAGSHEFuT0OOZFA9-LlCedcKgQpZutZq5arx48eBlNS3Cp5XJsUYF67pf52WdHEkEF4u7k872k3VDvG1g9DhNmQN4l34mRxD0hkNlblbN2DXHnMwGipepmLYGjST8GImQqQWdSOcIPufAKMlCxicg7S27hY3vNadGAb7o6m5FIkK4wd9-HDVlLNQtSY95gQ=w834-h625-no

Actually pretty quiet until I engage the feed gears, then it gets a bit talky, but it's only about 120 years old, so one hardly expects modern luxury.

Because the main feed is belt driven on these ancients, it makes it really simple to hook that up to a separate variable speed motor so you can have whatever speed you want, then I'd only be using the gears on the back for threading, which I can't imagine I'll be doing much of anyways.

Kinda like that idea, but low priority unless a little treadmill motor or something drops out of the sky on me. (bin of surplus hospital bed motors suddenly comes to mind....:hmm:)

All in all, it seems in reasonable shape for it's age, considering I'll probably be in the ground for 50 years before I reach the same vintage, and this thing will probably still be staining someone's shop floor.

This part I'm looking forward to... if my math is right, it's doing about 16 RPM on lowest speed.

( you can see the molasses tide line on the face plate :lol: )

o580QTtLHkP3jqFYDPCgkW9_56BaBauiWBxU3C7sDhj_6akBklCLl8ZL0WbNdvdJAMo6YhSHiQA0OiQ2TiFd9AkN9ctkg3urf1DFHtaq-BMJkNgdgqKAYWTqJRXBFYQYzLpEllzpgc07yEKKEvJnOpgCVXNMxXN1HkR5l44V7ZoufnMrHe3DNow1KgLtp0-buUxkyPpKatSLbRMfAWn6DIJgwCQHheZc7N_ysqU9EGF_ePSa5FQT11NBjmxXkiouUza2czDAoxYCTvSQCYjkAXkW3ekeNBPmT2I2gf-DT_LVQRjmnO8wQAzGigoxfVbuvsDB0bRHmIS-er3fH4YXHnPIyKnLUlE1w2kuE6D_CF9g5dJyNiZXo3exB1AOgRMlck2FaIU2SWGEw-H0GtMjnwY6rmRE5d6UR16f66yyZFt9XaDgeGFujc6lzeAnRoiMb_KLMeog18JEt-2RWZ7Bt3f-NahJI6AktKUQwWhpdUgch7No_OhUZY8iJJKiwefOiHjubdHiAJkiN9SQJa4VrvaYrVkf5uMbObw3t-8fY-bgQrucgkWIWkzOrep-Eqao7ewIqpMMLBvoRLM2bH8AJKL-YBPb2UJZdaza7_9BvMipDczSHiXkmLCkhtHUcR0t5MtLBmFYWjw2ZZ0jQMjXXx4m1H96-ch1Cx2r0A1zgfg4P_vEwvvw90pOWRgyJw=w834-h625-no

I do plan to make up a couple more guards, but you can only do so much with these things. Something is always spinning that you really don't want to get near.

I want to get a milling machine too, but I could see maybe going for something a smidge more modern. :p
I like how the upper "e-stop" is just close enough to the other rotating assembly, so as to wrap your other arm in a belt when you're in a panic to stop it! :flipoff2::flush:

I like how the upper "e-stop" is just close enough to the other rotating assembly, so as to wrap your other arm in a belt when you're in a panic to stop it! :flipoff2::flush:

Originally it would have had a belt shifter to stop. So, when you consider the technology involved it's an upgrade.

Most lathes have a lever switch mounted right near the chuck and no e-stop at all. :meh:

I'd say have a closer look, because it's just perspective of the picture and it's actually nowhere near but we all know that'll never happen. :flipoff2:

I also did say I was adding more guards, but hey, don't let reading comprehension get in the way of a good internet armchair nitpicking.

Last edited:
So today dan and I were planning a summer bash at your place with wives, kids and beer of course when they lift the covid restrictions this summer.

So today dan and I were planning a summer bash at your place with wives, kids and beer of course when they lift the covid restrictions this summer.
Haha this summer eh? You're optimistic...

I was joking with a friend about a "10 feet apart party"

Soccer field marking powder to claim an area, no crossing lines, everyone has their own boat :lol:

Haha this summer eh? You're optimistic...

I was joking with a friend about a "10 feet apart party"

Soccer field marking powder to claim an area, no crossing lines, everyone has their own boat :lol:

Our own boats eh... might be time to reduce the number of invasive species in your pond... Planning a trip over at the end of august... depending a lot on quarantine restrictions and such.

Our own boats eh... might be time to reduce the number of invasive species in your pond... Planning a trip over at the end of august... depending a lot on quarantine restrictions and such.

Yeah , don't forget to add the 14 day quarantine when you land in Canada to your vacation planning.

Cuz you ain't spending that in my house. :flipoff2:

Suspect the frogs are going to skate through this summer without too much interference, the joking about any sort of party was just that. :meh:

Going to be a while before society recovers from all this, even if it was cured tomorrow.

I throw on a concert video at work sometimes for background noise, (Slayer at 5am is more effective than coffee :lol: ) and watching those crowds now just gives me the creeps.

A little bit of leaf spring "conditioning" :lol: .

I figger this is pretty close to 1/2 a cord , and this fir was freaking heavy, so at a wild guess, probably about 12-1500 LBS.

A green cord of fir is supposedly 3300 LBS or so.

Springs are on the overloads, but still have a bit of arch and are maybe 1/2" from the bumps. So I'm calling that good.

These are half ton chev springs, and they ride pretty nice, so I didn't want to have to ad to them.

Either way, this is enough weight to make the "C" range tires bulge like a quarantine beer belly, so I wouldn't want to carry much more anyways.

ESyC8GElk6g0_wvSejuhu6ImjMVzRlRK1o2EQkkNARxUJhl5eF-nKk0c8ppRB6rZk5xN8d9BxE3YSElgzin7sVrEOrK7gJjqrj_nqDQQIfYI1xucfj5HgXfkkYhSpd7dFYKBh5upBZkxZ7RV6gj85AVt2aKgaDTYLOAK6UCDxnhE-6v6vVTe0-XZyXJJOV7cItJgGEIJAoricJt2jDcUjd93Y5ADhcI3iWMpSawt-_7VfBXnv_Xwjfu4dNDOiVoc9dxZxFhq2QNKyTiGr60y7Ez8FPWfgVJrKptDW6kIJYt-OIuSueXuMytAYa_bU9A4JVUa_JOzWxOiFhu63cTXxGwLM_Wv2zNBSvn76L2UUFXboju4PCKPhVPTo7r8YD_8SfB1OhHkXk0oIHCIWfcfiiyfLz5Px4-sTXaJB4qEpyII7q2uL0PsVpH84PDUljgtlJ0rXullTGcbPp7AsTJ44_2eerxinRhO5pC8wHrQ8gPPUguZbRDnwl2k2NfHZ5UgLxfSAFEYrW4HuaVqetmGEPfvvHL0wqgThXdlUiJrMdjW_BRCSBTfOgxR5fbBEghPdM7N3FcY-I7vpVoW7-WqQAs_SyehLCwsNENWLPo4bq1bwuHzt_MbsyFzolBAM7tt0ZVPMrAYbETzQOcp8jJnhizbED9Um18WTxHBPK9jT3EyRzje881ZO52BMIxHxg=w834-h625-no
54ab9uCMYm0HtcMxwW9s7Nh8g2RfCQBOO7UjSA4h1eAeT8KF8Q1Z3V9xEHH76BeaQr5Q1JoAg2pbMKYiw5y-ISSK8_5Rr1Nu9p0BK2jkTdgPmh2SSxIScqyRQJ4ksruV0LjKDWarTXzDEYb7cDiWlQpVroGY18TxYjAqB6KeDpuzQ7zci0QNQinTcxXX3De8nHAa0CtdkMv0KtPcxkDYG-M_Ia9MATap266WcE28vj82F-JSFjZfdQuMWWsz3YMYWXMBFDiW6OY3SOu8GFQLsdFSv8pm8SzVmGOFI0_Ni3T594eoLGNtGhYRxzc5HxQbvcP6x3eyvG3k5zFWjlUmdzCX5eMDsMh-XjGNMmFS0WfjqXAldClqTT4oaYyQ-sFn4OyRnSIb6uVlMPfQ_tzBuvIh2w51DPO1y8sQu2OEjPZjv5f5DhzzV-m-wD3_Ld7Dol3hAhY1cIFqoDvr_7SicOyZbIGnFElI_RO3VY1Ns3v6IxSVZKNr57UzsJjIOW5663FhDmnz5E0HZNYw3TmYNLnlBlRM0jWZzN3QNcfQcmgw6PHB-c0OQQWF_Hwqy71ujF5NB-eWw36tzPb8wdzzUTmIuA6TZvlgF1IeoH6vVjJbBoKjYwu4Nbn7MxT54aAqpp8-1_iCgyMAvJgSMn0lwGLwNkCPijc0ouktpIFvrlku17w02HHokSArQHenZg=w834-h625-no

I had to knock together a new driveshaft for it, apparently the splines on the slip I used were kinda pooched. Felt ok, but there must've just been some hardened grease creating the illusion, and it was the only long one I had so I probably wanted it to be ok. :rolleyes:

I got it pretty straight on the big lathe, but I haven't tried to balance it. I probably should but it's a bit of a sketchy proposition however you do it.

Here is an odd-assed version of your truck. I think your box looks miles better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom