Churn Creek area update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
In case anyone was thinking of going to Churn Creek for the annual May long weekend trip:

Was informed that there are apparently check points outside of Clinton towards Churn, Dog Creek, and area. They are checking driver's licenses and turning non locals away.
I have not personally seen them, it was told to me by a friend who's friends were out that way.
If you are heading out, might be better off picking locations that are not close to small communities.

Lots of bands are keeping strangers out of their communities right now, all through the province.

Need to travel under the cover of darkness, taped headlights.
Just kidding. But the need to get away is going to over come soon.

Need to travel under the cover of darkness, taped headlights.
Just kidding. But the need to get away is going to over come soon.
What's travel to the island like these days. Are you guys allowed to leave?

What's travel to the island like these days. Are you guys allowed to leave?
Well, since the H Bay to Dep Bay ferry is out of service. There are 4 sailings a day
from Duke point that will actually allow passenger cars. Other sailings are cargo only.
WHAT THE **** IS WITH ALL THE ALBERTA PLATES????
So we aren’t encouraged to leave, and even the back country around the west coast - Pt Renfrew
Torino, Ucluelet all have ‘Stay Away’ policies. Alert Bay got hit very hard, one turned into
20+ last week. They are nasty with gate closures on South Island, and digging up access.
I‘ve just about finished this whole engine turbo upgrade and am getting itchy throttle feet
to try it out. My original plan in Dec was to be going to Pr Rupert, Terrace & PG right about now to
hook up with a few cruiser guys, and just burn diesel and coffee in equal amounts.

One of the guys that works for me, his brother carpooled to a site in North Van via the upper levels. RCMP pulled them over, asked for ID and said because no one is of the same address and you can't be 2M away from each other in a car. They each received a $400 ticket. My shower door guy has twin sisters , driving on Upper Levels, same result $400 each as they do not live at the same place.
Whytecliff park is closed to all vehicles. People parking illegally on the road, West Van bylaws officers havin a field day plus self distancing being enforced and being ticket there too.
Have noticed lots of Alberta plates recently as well and people driving way beyond the speed limit by 50-60km.

Wonder what would happen if a person just jumped in their car and went for a drive up the highway?
Its not actually illegal to say, drive to Kamloops? And just keep right on going.

In case anyone was thinking of going to Churn Creek for the annual May long weekend trip:

Was informed that there are apparently check points outside of Clinton towards Churn, Dog Creek, and area. They are checking driver's licenses and turning non locals away.
I have not personally seen them, it was told to me by a friend who's friends were out that way.
If you are heading out, might be better off picking locations that are not close to small communities.
OK, thanks for the heads up Fantom. We may scrap the Churn trip and go up Mud Lakes & Swartz Lake instead.

OK, thanks for the heads up Fantom. We may scrap the Churn trip and go up Mud Lakes & Swartz Lake instead.
Hi Bill,
I came down from home to Vancouver via Pemberton, on all the major FSRs heading out by native communities there were "road blocks" and signs to keep out. So might be worth having a plan B and C if you can't get in there.

Update: I contacted the Clinton RCMP, they are not turning anyone away, though they said two of the routes (Dog Creek and Canoe Creek) are blockaded by the local First Nations. I have put in a phone call to Chief Pat Harry of Canoe Creek to get permission for us with the guarantee that we won't stop for fuel. No response back yet so I'll keep bugging him until we do, they don't have cell service there so not sure if he can call back with a landline.

That means the only route in as far as I know is Farwell Canyon. Are there any First Nations along that route?

Plan B is as Scalp mentioned, Mud/Schwarz lakes.

I HIGHLY suggest that everyone carry enough fuel food and water so that there is no need to stop in the smaller communities, you should be able to get back to Clinton, Williams Lk etc. without stopping.

Weather is looking good for Sat/Sun, < 1mm rain, but Mon looks like heavier rain.
Patti & I will be heading up early Friday for a convoy.

Mud Lakes north and south are rec sites and are closed until further notice: Recreation Sites and Trails BC

I don't see any mention however of Schwarz Lake north site, so it may be a possibility. I've come down from the north once with my trailer when it's wet and slid the entire way down the hill, not fun. So if we come up from the south, the question is, will the water depth be low enough to make it to the end?

Mud Lakes north and south are rec sites and are closed until further notice: Recreation Sites and Trails BC

I don't see any mention however of Schwarz Lake north site, so it may be a possibility. I've come down from the north once with my trailer when it's wet and slid the entire way down the hill, not fun. So if we come up from the south, the question is, will the water depth be low enough to make it to the end?
Sorry Pete, I don't Schwarz lake anywhere, still would like to join, but working Saturday unit 3:30.

For those unsure, I'm referring to the northernmost pin on the map here as plan C:

chrome_wa6grIAtRx.png

However, the downsides are accessibility, and it was basically a mosquito-infested swamp last time I was there.

A plan D would be a campsite located further east toward big bar ferry. We camped at the one labelled "Campsite at small dam 21:45" at Moore lake, it has an open pit toilet. We camped there last year, it was less mosquitoey due to more wind. (There's also a larger campsite just east of that called S Bar French Creek but it's a rec site thus only open for day use.)

chrome_Q1GNbrJsXk.png

Here is a photo:

MolYhh3K3q.png

DECISION HAS BEEN MADE

We had a brief plan E but now we have decided on plan F, we are going to Maciej's place. He has offered the use of his property and there is plenty of room for camping. Details to follow.

Probably a good choice. Unless its been really warm, Mud to Swartz would likely be in snow. up to 3 foot drifts may long some years back. Even Mud L north was mostly snow covered. have fun out there wherever you end up

DSC_0380a.jpg

DSC_0410a.jpg

Since a choice has been made a few details.

I have my mom up right now and likely through the weekend, I'm replacing the engine in her Suzuki Vitara. So if I don't finish before you guys get here, I might recruit a few of you :p (mostly kidding). No, she doesn't mind all you coming up.

There is a lot of space to camp and a working bathroom (especially once I finish the damn shower renovation), running water. A large fire pit, the lake, a canoe (feel free to bring your own if you want), ATV trails, lots of other lakes and places to check out. Dog friendly ....in fact I might keep them when you are leaving.
You are welcome to stay as long as you want ....after a few days I will start putting you to work though :).

Lone Butte is about 15 minute drive away from my place and has both fuels, and basic supplies, Interlakes is 15 minutes the other way and has more supplies and fuel, 100 Mile is 30 minutes away. If anything, I know some locals are not keen on strangers coming up to small communities so maybe just bring whatever you need. I'm not putting a limit on how many people come, but do let me know in case I need to make preparations. I'll send the GPS co-ordinance to one of you (whoever is leading) and if you can't find it, means you have not been wheeling in too long!

When I was talking to Pete yesterday, we spoke about meeting Friday morning and heading up the canyon. I think Rob Millson is coming over and will join us on the way up. So far we have Pete & Patti, Garry B & wife, myself, Millson, Glenn B, and a couple of Pete's friends. Drew is a maybe. I guess give the GPS coordinates to Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom