What's missing from the market? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Adventure Readiness cost is high to most people regardless of how they finance it. One of my reasons for justifying an 80 was that as long as i don't spend 50k on my 80 I am cheaper than most. I am well under that and will likely always be. People complain about the high costs of an 80 but at current prices you get a lot of strong engineering and capability. I personally wouldn't expect anyone to build a kit but it would be nice to have motor mounts and tranny mounts for a 2uz-fe tranny combo available. It might give some of us non-fabricators a chance get a faster start on such things. I think the LS option people would like the same. Both are plentiful in salvage yards and can be ordered new if preferred.

Man, some serious mall crawling going on if cruiser folk feel the need for a Hepa filter...
Well I did a around trip in South America. When you do a lot of gravel dirt roads, you get a lot of fine dust that gets inside the Cabin through the AC (even if you always keep the air conditioning on recirculation) and the rear air louvers. Would love to have a filter to at least trap the dust that sneaks through the AC system.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I asked for that one.
He is laughing at the idea of this forum ever coming on a census of whats needed. Think about it like this, if there was truly a product every fzj80 owner needed, a fabricator would have already made it. If you want something to apply to the larger portion of this forum, you will want to come up with an original solution people didn’t realize they needed.

I 2nd the rear interior wall panel idea and cabin filter. I'd really like to see a bolt on kit for hanging hammocks from the corner of the factory bumpers like the guys with heavy plate bumpers do with a simple DOM tubing insert. I'm not in the plate bumper price range. I have spoken with a local fab guy and the rear is pretty easy, the front needs an engineering approach due to the distance from the frame to the corner of the bumper.
A rear tire swinger setup that doesn't cost $1400 and could be easily removed would be awesome.

My cabin filter need isn't from driving on the dirt roads by myself, it's when I'm 5th or 8th in line on a 15 mile dirt road. My black truck looks more grey after a couple of miles. There's no easy way to keep that fine dust out and I'm always on recirc.

Rear bumper with tire swingout, ladder, jerry can holder and a swingout that hides 4 flipdown cupholders? For under $1100 delivered.

Short answer on the flares. I can make alot of things as one off. But no, I could likely not do that efficently enough to offer.

I realize this is related to the 60 and not an 80, but my favorite mod on my 62 that I don't really ever see around is a sliding window with mesh so that I can camp inside the truck with the window open and not have to worry about bugs.
windowslider.jpg

Happy to provide more pics if it would help. No idea where the window came from as it was a few owners ago that installed it, but I believe it was originally for an RV. Fits really well in my opinion. It's not the same as what sor and others provide.

I have a 62 at my disposal so I can investigate.

Last edited:
My biggest issue at this point is prioritizing all these ideas. Really great stuff here guys, I mean it.

Between work and finishing what I'm already developing it'll be a bit of time before picking the next task. At this point I'm looking forward to some quick gratification so it will likely be one of the lesser engineering involved projects.

Keep it up tho. :idea:

I also want to see a bolt-in cabin air filter. A legit HEPA filter is not necessary (Real HEPA filtration is usually expensive), for a lot of us a simple dust filter would probably suffice, but a pleated filter would be preferable over filter foam.

Edit: maybe real HEPA filtration is not as expensive as I thought (these are less than $10 USD per filter):
www.amazon.com/Filter-Honeywell-HRF-R2-HRF-R3-Purifier/dp/B078YLGC52/

But HEPA filtration may be get clogged too soon.

I'd also like to see:
A. a storage solution for the sides of the cargo area (already mentioned, but I want it as well)

B. a bolt-in rear AC system based off or similar to the factory rear air option not offered in the US. (possibly already mentioned)

C. a drop in solution to the weak windshield squirters (maybe a voltage booster for the stock pump, which in some cases only receives 10-11volts, I think boosting it to 14-18volts may make a huge difference)

D. a way to relocate the windshield washer bottle to the inside of either front fender (I already removed the power antenna on the passenger side). Washer bottle relocation is commonly dealt with when going to dual batteries using the factory battery trays. With the washer bottle hidden, that gives us more space for items we need to access much more often. New vehicles often have the filler cap accessible but the bottle is buried, I wish there was a kit to do the same thing for an 80. I wouldn't mind removing the fender to install it, I need the space. I know a different bottle would be necessary, but I hope it could be engineered to use the factory pump.

Thank you to any vendor or future vendor for being willing to listen and maybe even try to execute a few of the ideas brought up in this and similar threads.

I also want to see a bolt-in cabin air filter. A legit HEPA filter is not necessary (Real HEPA filtration is usually expensive), for a lot of us a simple dust filter would probably suffice, but a pleated filter would be preferable over filter foam.

Edit: maybe real HEPA filtration is not as expensive as I thought (these are less than $10 USD per filter):
www.amazon.com/Filter-Honeywell-HRF-R2-HRF-R3-Purifier/dp/B078YLGC52/

But HEPA filtration may be get clogged too soon. [/QOUTE]

I'm well down this path. HEPA can grow mold because it WILL get wet. HEPA is designed to eliminate mold and fungal spores but in a DRY environment. Put it in a wet/humnid environment and you lose the benefit of having a HEPA filter. But it can be cleaned. But the cleaning involves removing the cowl. And to remove the cowl you need to remove the wiper arms.

D. a way to relocate the windshield washer bottle to the inside of either front fender (I already removed the power antenna on the passenger side). Washer bottle relocation is commonly dealt with when going to dual batteries using the factory battery trays. With the washer bottle hidden, that gives us more space for items we need to access much more often. New vehicles often have the filler cap accessible but the bottle is buried, I wish there was a kit to do the same thing for an 80. I wouldn't mind removing the fender to install it, I need the space. I know a different bottle would be necessary, but I hope it could be engineered to use the factory pump.

Pretty sure Delta VS has these already.

How about aluminum fenders, hood, tail gate and hatch to put my pig on a diet.
I second that Cybrstar. I would really like ARB bull bar or the Slee front bumper made out of aluminum. Rock sliders made out of aluminum, and even a dual swing arm rear bumper made out of you guess it aluminum. The Australian did make an all aluminum bull bar, and there is a US company making aluminum bumpers but not for our 80s. I wonder how much weight would that diet save? And the price would be north of $5k for front/ rear and sliders easily.

I second that Cybrstar. I would really like ARB bull bar or the Slee front bumper made out of aluminum. Rock sliders made out of aluminum, and even a dual swing arm rear bumper made out of you guess it aluminum. The Australian did make an all aluminum bull bar, and there is a US company making aluminum bumpers but not for our 80s. I wonder how much weight would that diet save? And the price would be north of $5k for front/ rear and sliders easily.
I have a ECB Aluminum front bumper. It is very light, I was able to install it all by my lonesome with my little spaghetti arms. But, no winch mount, so you have to add the steel winch tray attachment to have the strength for a winch, which adds weight.
20190708_171506.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom