60 wont pass smog... what to do...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since Homer posted his VIN, I ran it through the BAR smog check history. There are only three CA smog checks on file, suggesting the vehicle was out of state prior to 2018. Unless you have gone through all the emissions trouble shooting already, I would recommend (1) replacing the vacuum tubing (thereby making sure it is routed properly) then (2) do the system checks found in the 2F emissions manual.

You don't say why you need a new CAT temperature sensor...is it missing or does the shop think it is not working? As posted earlier, all it does is provide over-temperature protection for the CAT. If the cat gets too hot, then it stops the Air injection into the exhaust. I suppose if the sensor has failed then the AI system may not be working properly. But the checks from the emissions manual should help identify where the problem is.

View attachment 1985054
Thank you, it did go to Idaho after passing last March, but I dont think any work done there. The smog place says current sensor is not working "stuck open"? They say the referee found a repkace for $900! I think they are hosting me and dont know what they are doing from all these posts. I am going to have them run test and fail and since I already paid over $675 I can apply for a two year waiver and take to one of the mechanics listed on this site near me to help take a look. Appreciate all the help everyone.

Thank you, it did go to Idaho after passing last March, but I dont think any work done there. The smog place says current sensor is not working "stuck open"? They say the referee found a repkace for $900! I think they are hosting me and dont know what they are doing from all these posts. I am going to have them run test and fail and since I already paid over $675 I can apply for a two year waiver and take to one of the mechanics listed on this site near me to help take a look. Appreciate all the help everyone.
HOSING

When the Cat gets too hot, the thermo sensor closes (it is a temperature switch), preventing air injection into the Cat. If your thermo sensor is "stuck open", then the air injection system should be working. I don't see this is a reason for failing the smog test. And I don't think they check the themo sensor during a smog check to make sure it is working--the switch closes at 1445 degF.

You can download a PDF of the emissions manual, or purchase hardcopy from some of the land cruiser vendors. I have found you will need this manual even if you take it to a mechanic. I once took mine to the dealer, and they didn't have the manual, so I let them use mine.

When the Cat gets too hot, the thermo sensor closes (it is a temperature switch), preventing air injection into the Cat. If your thermo sensor is "stuck open", then the air injection system should be working. I don't see this is a reason for failing the smog test. And I don't think they check the themo sensor during a smog check to make sure it is working--the switch closes at 1445 degF.

You can download a PDF of the emissions manual, or purchase hardcopy from some of the land cruiser vendors. I have found you will need this manual even if you take it to a mechanic. I once took mine to the dealer, and they didn't have the manual, so I let them use mine.
I just prefer this do you think this will have emissions manual or need separate?

Screenshot_20190524-085236_eBay.jpg

I just prefer this do you think this will have emissions manual or need separate?

That’s not the one you need. That is just a basic generic shop manual. Since you ordered it you might as well keep it, but the actual Toyota 2F factory service manual is essential.

In the meantime, for the smog stuff, you need the 2F Emissions Manual. A couple members here on Mud have a link in their signature lines to download it for free. Spike Strip is one, gregnash is another. Download it and take it to a kinko’s and print it out.

Thanks to all have responded. I am currently in Reno as we have property there. I do not reside there however my wife does( travels back and forth to the Bay Area) so it will be easy to “register”.

But I will post the numbers....and get it to pass in Ca. It just seems more conducive to have it registered in Nevada given our situation.

And to clarify I had engine rebuilt from George about 2 years ago. More so a brand new 5spd which only got 5k since install. So I really want to get it out in the road.... thanks again

That’s not the one you need. That is just a basic generic shop manual. Since you ordered it you might as well keep it, but the actual Toyota 2F factory service manual is essential.

In the meantime, for the smog stuff, you need the 2F Emissions Manual. A couple members here on Mud have a link in their signature lines to download it for free. Spike Strip is one, gregnash is another. Download it and take it to a kinko’s and print it out.
Thank you spike stripe provided the pdf, appreciate it!

Here is another option. Do you have children/grand children of driving age? Mom/Dad? If so, gift it to them, $0.00 . The rule is, in California, if you gift a vehicle to a family member as mentioned above, the state does not require any emissions testing. Ever. Once they sell the vehicle, it will need to be tested upon transfer of title to the new owner. Let some time pass and have that family member gift it back to you.
As long as there is no money exchanged you are golden.:flipoff2:

Here is another option. Do you have children/grand children of driving age? Mom/Dad? If so, gift it to them, $0.00 . The rule is, in California, if you gift a vehicle to a family member as mentioned above, the state does not require any emissions testing. Ever. Once they sell the vehicle, it will need to be tested upon transfer of title to the new owner. Let some time pass and have that family member gift it back to you.
This is great info, I have a 16 year old and 13 yr old sons. Since you can gift $15k per year tax free does that matter if I paid more in actuality for this vehicle against that maximum? Thank you!

That is not correct. I was gifted 2 vehicles by my parents and both required biannual smog checks.

No. 460 gas. It is on the DMV website. I can't recite it word for word but I'm not pulling your leg. The only issue I can think of is that it already has to be registered in the relatives name, in California but once it is, if you give it to an immediate family member, there is no smog required until you sell it to another party.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident, diesel-powered vehicles manufactured in 1998 or after with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.
When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel-powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
This is off of the DMV website.

I too was recently gifted a vehicle, a NV to CA title transfer and I had to take to smog but it was just a visual ....

Thanks I worry that since I just bought and already paid for registration I am going to need to smog first before I can gift. I will read up on it more. Maybe I can get the referee exempt for the spend limit then gift to my son after. Just glad the dude who sold me this told me about this site, you all have been awesome!

Yes. Maybe be an out of state transfer thing, I don't know for sure but after the vehicle is registered in Cali, this rule applies. Another work around I was told from a CHP friend was go to DMV, Because the vehicle didn't pass smog, non-op the vehicle right away and pay fees. Once you get the certificate of title, go register the vehicle and somehow this will not require a smog check I don't know if this will work because I've never tried it.

Your vehicle may be disqualified if:
  • Vehicle has received a Repair Cost Waiver in the past (waivers are limited to one per vehicle, per registered owner).
  • Vehicle has missing, modified, or disconnected equipment.
  • Vehicle is undergoing change of ownership or initial registration in California. To be eligible, your vehicle must be going through its biennial smog cycle (registration renewal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom