25 Year Engineering service life. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What we do know is that Range Rovers, Land Rovers, and probably Jeeps come way short of this compared to any Yota SUV. And perhaps we can say that Toyota's requirements in this regard are much higher.

I think this came up a year or two ago, and the few vendors here who have direct contact with the high-side Toyota mucky-mucks said that no such official statement has been made by Toyota. That doesn't mean it hasn't been said other places, but my memory tells me that it was described as something that was never an official declaration.

On the other hand... Like others have said here--cars can last a long, long time.
The Camry we gave to my Aunt was a 1999, and is now 20 years old. The paint is crap now, but it's still chugging along quite nicely...as is my now-sold 1999 100 series.

On an OLDER other hand...I recently ran into the guy who bought my
1989 Honda Civic Hatchback...and it's still rollin. :)
-That's just shy of 30 years on an $8500 Honda Civic 5-speed manual. :)

I read a report several years ago in a Industry publication that Toyota's chief engineer was quoted stating that the Landcruiser is engineered for a 25 year service life in a third world country. I guess if your Bill Clinton you would question what the definition of what "is" is ;)

On a roughly related question, will a new-ish LC (like my 2016) be relevant in 25 years? The hardware may work but the electronics? I realized that the LC is built to operate in 3rd world environments. But many/most of us will be mostly operating in the 1st world where things like software matter. I mean, am I going to be disappointed in Entune in 25 years? LOL! Seriously, though, the non-mechanical tech is increasingly important - and in that world 25 months can be a long time.

The 2018 Land Cruiser Entune is already disappointing. So, yes.

Yeah. So when do you start counting the 25 years when your tech is already 5 years behind the market? :rofl:

The more modern Toyotas are packed to the gills with proprietary Toyota electronics and gizmos that will never be manufactured by the aftermarket. The only place to get replacements will be through Toyota. Based on historical evidence of older Toyota vehicles, Toyota doesn't support its emissions components for more than 20 years, and for some parts much sooner than that.

Personally, if I bought a new Toyota today, I definitely would get rid of it before it turned 11 years old due to dwindling parts availability.
Toyota decides when your car will die.

Considering the Tundra and LC share some parts, I don't see it being an issue. You can get NOS parts for common cars from the 80s, I don't foresee a Land Cruiser being abandoned by Toyota at 11 years. Can you not buy 100 series parts at the dealer? Same same. These arn't 575 Superamericas. They're mass built SUVs.

Personally, if I bought a new Toyota today, I definitely would get rid of it before it turned 11 years old due to dwindling parts availability.
Toyota decides when your car will die.

So when I sold my 100 Series at 16 years, it was living on borrowed time?
ANY part I need can be on its way to me in less than 24 hours.

Should I dump my 10-year-old Cruiser next year?

Hmmm... 10 years feel practically new to me at this point:

(Here is my on-life-support 2008 :hillbilly: last week near Ocotillo Wells with our Ukrainian friends [This is Olya smiling at her husband, wishing for an LC])
IMG_4795.PNG

Last edited:
Practically a 25 year service life simply means a higher MTBF (mean time between failure) of components in the system. It's probably speculation but I had read that most manufacturers design for a 10-15 year service life. If you assume 15k miles per year it means most modern vehicles are designed to run 150-200k miles.

By strict definition a 25 year "service life" would imply that it can be serviced for 25 years. i.e. you'll be able to get OEM parts for 25 years, not that the vehicle will last that long ;)

FWIW I've met a couple people with 100-series exceeding 400k miles on the original drivetrain so whether or not it's actually true anecdotally it seems to be.

Practically a 25 year service life simply means a higher MTBF (mean time between failure) of components in the system. It's probably speculation but I had read that most manufacturers design for a 10-15 year service life. If you assume 15k miles per year it means most modern vehicles are designed to run 150-200k miles.

By strict definition a 25 year "service life" would imply that it can be serviced for 25 years. i.e. you'll be able to get OEM parts for 25 years, not that the vehicle will last that long ;)

FWIW I've met a couple people with 100-series exceeding 400k miles on the original drivetrain so whether or not it's actually true anecdotally it seems to be.

That parts availability is a question that COULD be clarified by Toyota. I never really thought about the 25 year question in terms of stated duration of parts supply.

Last edited:
On a roughly related question, will a new-ish LC (like my 2016) be relevant in 25 years? The hardware may work but the electronics? I realized that the LC is built to operate in 3rd world environments. But many/most of us will be mostly operating in the 1st world where things like software matter. I mean, am I going to be disappointed in Entune in 25 years? LOL! Seriously, though, the non-mechanical tech is increasingly important - and in that world 25 months can be a long time.

I think this is the critical point. Bearings and starters and radiators may be easily available for decades, but I seriously wonder whether my '17 will be able to get firmware or software updates for the navigation or transmission, or probably any of the many ECUs in the truck by 2042. The "infotainment" system is already hopelessly out of date and can't be retrofitted with something that is. A couple decades from now, I suspect that nothing in that system will even be remembered, let alone updatable. I could go on, but if we look at 25 years ago (before mass Internet!) in 1992, the electronics of vehicles built then are archaic. I'll bet that will be case in a couple decades for the electronics of today.

25 years from now the 200 Series would be better served with an 8-track player than the current infotainment system — hell I’d be happier with an 8-track player in it now...

It would be great if Toyota would offer conversion kits to US customers so that we could go to regular double din units and still be able to control HVAC without having to come up with our own hacks for it, but I guess that’s what planned obsolescence is all about...

Nevertheless, I want to be driving my LC in 25 years rather than riding around in some autonomous POS...

In my books, the usability and service life of a vehicle is determined by one major qualification. And that is if I can i get up one morning and on a whim take the car into the Moab desert without thinking if my truck is reliable enough to make it and back. Remember this is end to end reliability without any major component failing in the vehicle. The starter has to operate and the alternator has to function for me to make it there and back. Though i am convinced the LC family is by far the most suited to get there and back, i can't imagine i will have this level of confidence on a 15 year old 100 series with 250K miles. But i am not an owner and i am completely open to be proven wrong. What say you gang?

Last edited:
Toyota will never provide the information you are looking for mainly because that type of information is inferred from engineering documentation.

Parts-wise, you can assume at least 10 years after EOP for when parts will start to discontinue. And parts discontinuation will go like this:

1. Interior brown color parts
2. Electrical

Those will always be first.

And that is if I can i get up one morning and on a whim take the car into the Moab desert without thinking if my truck is reliable enough to make it and back.
Keep starter and water pump handy along with belts ....

Keep an eye on cam tower for leak

Yeah. So when do you start counting the 25 years when your tech is already 5 years behind the market? :rofl:

That's why I'm kind of glad I got a mid spec Aussie 200. No nav, no steering wheel buttons, no electric seats, velour trim etc...but still not the poverty pack example. It's a stark comparison to my beautiful LX470 interior but the 200 platform feels significantly tougher than a 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom