Darien Gap Jungle Expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm grateful to have met and worked with some great guys in the planning of the expedition. I'd hit the jungles of Central or South America with Francisco Diaz of Land Cruiser Heaven without a moment of hesitation. Who knows, maybe we will give it another shot sometime!

Last edited:
Predictable though. Take pictures of truck on East Coast trails. Get starz in eyes. Then plan to cross the Darien Gap where mortals fear to tread. He bit off WAY more than he could chew. Sorry to see the idea come to an end, but really, this was never a real thing. It's Frodo going to Mordor. It's John Snow going beyond the White Wall.

I'm thinking this is doable, but only with huge financing. Like government, road building, financing. Otherwise, it's another generation from reality. Eventually, with enough people, money, desire, someone will build a permanent road through the jungle. But until you have a billion dollars for this, it's not happening.
Perhaps, with little information to make statements, and lots of conjecture, you might consider a lower level of rudeness? We went through great lengths to put together a crew, approach sponsors, investigate government approval and support. Consideration was given to contacting FARC leaders for permission to pass through. I find your post a bit tasteless and more than a bit offensive. Thanks.

The trip to the Darien Gap has not panned out. Some of the issues were related to crew dropping out, logistical issues with our vehicles being impounded on the Colombian side had we made it that far, along with smaller issues regarding funding and reality TV producers wanting all rights to everything produced by the trip, while investing nothing into the trip. The first hit the adventure took was most of the crew wanting to push the Gap trip out a year for planning and sponsor work to be done. It was exciting setting up the ground work and prepping Godzilla for the trip. My little BJ, for which I paid $14,000, has become just short of a $40,000 investment, and a formidable machine (thanks to Marshall Shepherd at Troll Hole) to say the least. I wish this adventure had panned out, but for now it wasn't meant to be. Willing to answer questions and support others with data or information if they are considering the run.

Allen--

Any thoughts on sticking close to the coast? In Columbia, there seems to be roads a big majority of the way. What about attacking from Columbia and going north? Why does everyone want to travel south?

Regarding the impounding in Columbia- At that point you've already made it through? What if you could get a truck you didn't mind having impounded/ lost? By then the glory has already been obtained- maybe find a sponsor for that (manufacturer?).

Allen--

Any thoughts on sticking close to the coast? In Columbia, there seems to be roads a big majority of the way. What about attacking from Columbia and going north? Why does everyone want to travel south?

Regarding the impounding in Columbia- At that point you've already made it through? What if you could get a truck you didn't mind having impounded/ lost? By then the glory has already been obtained- maybe find a sponsor for that (manufacturer?).

There was a story of a guy that completed a southern route in the 80s with a Jeep, and it was a disastrous and extremely long journey. He acknowledged that heading south was a massive mistake. I believe it took him about a year. Going down the coast on the northern Caribbean coast was a thought, but it seemed that in December of 16, FARC and paramilitary activity in those areas seemed to be more intense. Also, there is no history of anyone ever going that route, which begs the question why? The Panamanian border patrol (Army) does appear to have a limited influence in Panama from Yaviza to Boca de Cupe and possibly as far as Pucuro, affording some small level of safety. There was the possibility of winning their favor. (I'll leave it at that). Considering that we were going to have parts, medical supplies, diesel and food air dropped in via helicopter, the Yaviza to Atrato River route was the closest to Colombian airports that could quickly and efficiently provide that service without traveling great distances. The route we planned followed what others before us had done, and appeared to be the actual shortest foot traveled route to the Atrato River, which flows north. We were planning to use the Atrato River to raft the trucks to Turbo to almost completely avoid the Atrato swamp. Also, the hope was to take a similar route others had successfully taken previously, and to beat their time. This was a part of the challenge itself, at least subliminally.

I wanted to go from north to south because the trip was going to continue, at least for me, to Cape Horn in Chile.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Planning this expedition was much like being a parent. There is no manual or guide on how to do it, or where the pitfalls are. You just have to jump in...

Al

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates Allen, I'm sorry to hear planning has not worked out but glad your doing well and not a FARC detainee. :eek:

As for my jumping out of the planning early on, we are just about to wrap out our South America traverse: ExpeditionOverland: South America 2017 - Debuts 10/27/17

I thought a lot about the Darien and our discussions during our time in Colombia and I made some great contacts there too!

Allen, outside of the Darien, are you still planning your big trip?
No sir. In 2016 when I was planning that trip, I was single and looking at a down turn in my industry which opened up a perfect opportunity for me to make that run without having any effect on my career. Since then, I have married, and work has continued. No big plans right now, but one never knows what might re-ignite the passion to re-pursue that dream.

No sir. In 2016 when I was planning that trip, I was single and looking at a down turn in my industry which opened up a perfect opportunity for me to make that run without having any effect on my career. Since then, I have married, and work has continued. No big plans right now, but one never knows what might re-ignite the passion to re-pursue that dream.

Well congrats on the marriage and work, can't be too bummed that has played out as such :D

Fwiw in my recent travels across Colombia I spoke at length with local 4x4 folks and the Darien. It's not something any of them will touch with a 10' pole right now as the FARC and it's replacement groups are still active as ever despite what we've been reading in the news about a cease-fire and peace treaty. Basically their words were those two might not be shooting at eachother but they are still shooting at everyone else in the area.

Well congrats on the marriage and work, can't be too bummed that has played out as such :D

Fwiw in my recent travels across Colombia I spoke at length with local 4x4 folks and the Darien. It's not something any of them will touch with a 10' pole right now as the FARC and it's replacement groups are still active as ever despite what we've been reading in the news about a cease-fire and peace treaty. Basically their words were those two might not be shooting at eachother but they are still shooting at everyone else in the area.
Yes, I was thinking that might be the case. I've read that the FARC and paramilitary people have made a living out of war, and just because war ends or agreements are made, it doesn't mean they will change their modus operandi. There is still money to be made in narcotic and human smuggling operations, and if a gringo should venture across their path it probably wouldn't end well...

The added bonus is that now I get to keep the 150 grand I was planning to dump into that expedition!

How about a southern US trip through bad neighborhoods? You could keep the danger factor high and end each afternoon in a dirty restaurant? Just food for thought
How about the possibility of another run at a real expedition with some of my existing team mates in the future. To me, it sounds more fun, and probably has a higher survivability rate...

Last edited:
As a retired contractor for a three letter agency, and having worked in that whole area along with an AK47 wound to carry with me forever, I would not do that trip especially now that you are married and have future responsibilities. The risk/reward ratio is not in your favor since the "grupos de bandidos" can be brutal and generally hate the Americanos. I do not ever plan to visit Mexico or other countries south of the border. Just my .02 cents FWIW.

The United States, Canada and Alaska offer unlimited exploration possibilities, a lot more fun and a whole lot safer.

741 days though... Ouch. This was the gentleman I was talking about that took a southern route through Panama into Colombia. There is a reason so many have chosen the same path... Very cool story though, and it appears that it may not be over?

I met Patty during a presentation she did on their adventures a few years back. Sitting down and chatting with Loren is on my 2028 to do list. Super neat story and Patty was a hoot to talk to!

As a retired contractor for a three letter agency, and having worked in that whole area along with an AK47 wound to carry with me forever, I would not do that trip especially now that you are married and have future responsibilities. The risk/reward ratio is not in your favor since the "grupos de bandidos" can be brutal and generally hate the Americanos. I do not ever plan to visit Mexico or other countries south of the border. Just my .02 cents FWIW.

The United States, Canada and Alaska offer unlimited exploration possibilities, a lot more fun and a whole lot safer.
Such a small world some people live in

I grew up in Europe , live in Texas now and have lived 5 years in Latin America and have to say if you have any common sense those latin american countries are beautiful to explore and I have made some lifelong friends there.And yes I have been traveling towards the infamous Panama/Colombia frontera on my motorbike and obviously people where watching us but if you don’t act stupid you will be alright.

Looking forward to spend some vacation time down South next month !

Understood. Would have been, or would be something to survive for the books though. Completed by very few. Even now the thought is extremely exciting...

EC278EC1-D917-4964-8D48-A4890E2BA2C1.jpeg
1640D411-211A-49BE-9215-4A67BE59DA06.jpeg
I’ve gotta idea! Let’s roll our rigs to the COMPTON GAP! The Darien Gap is a cake walk compared to Compton! First we start at Imperial Gardens rolling many rigs deep, then if you still aren’t scared, we slow cruise to Grape st. ....To the Jordan Downs housing project, finishing up at King Taco! Me luv tacos!

B003D736-E8C2-4D24-AC8A-1740E6993B15.jpeg

77717CBD-6169-422D-A331-6E29E091CE23.jpeg

731FE9AE-D28F-4896-A1F7-27D35938313B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom