Facebook Closed Group? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I started this thread, this was my exact intention. It's not easy to find the HDC clubhouse forum on MUD. It's not even that easy to find MUD if you're not already in the know. I thought having the FB group would be the gateway drug to the good forum that is actually useful. It would come up in a search for some newbie to NM (or neighboring states) looking for a Toyota group to hang out with and go wheeling with. I don't intend to post very often on the FB group. I just see it as a conduit to help locals find us more easily. We can probably use it to also cross-post events, runs, etc once we have a thread here to point to.

It would come up in a search for some newbie to NM (or neighboring states) looking for a Toyota group to hang out with and go wheeling with.

OK, except ...

If you enter "New Mexico Land Cruiser" or "New Mexico Toyota" into a Facebook search we don't come up. Other groups and businesses do. Is there a way to tag the group with those key words?

signed up on Facebook

I don't facebook either, I consider it a fad like bitcoin (damn I missed the boat on that one). I have seen several forums die because of it and this one probably won't be the exception.

Hopefully someone will cross post here so that us archaic folk will still know what is going on.

I think for the reasons Ash listed our MUD presence will prevail.

The group comes up if you search for "High Desert Cruisers", because the name itself is the searchable part. We can change the name to be High Desert Cruisers - New Mexico Toyota 4x4 club, or something as such so that it will come up that way.

Ron, I think that's a good idea. Let's change it to that. I couldn't figure out any way to have tags or keywords to improve the chances of finding it when people search for it.

And for you old codgers, FB will not replace MUD. I frequently send people to MUD when they post questions on the TLCA FB group.

As a repository it will survive, as a form of communication among members... not so much

One day when I find myself completely in the dark and my kids have kids I'll join.

As a repository it will survive, as a form of communication among members... not so much

One day when I find myself completely in the dark and my kids have kids I'll join.

If the intent of the FB group is to draw newbies to MUD then in reality there is no reason for any of us to be a member of the group.

I'd like to stop talking about the internet and go break my junk again.
fwiw, i do a lot more on instagram than anything else... to me its a lot less invasive and time consuming when all I wanna do is look at cool rigs and places to go I've never been (and videos of drunks getting hurt)
Not saying HDC needs to be on instagram. Maybe members start using a # tag throughout social media that the members can agree on, that carries over from FB and other social media?
If that's the way this internet thing works

If the intent of the FB group is to draw newbies to MUD then in reality there is no reason for any of us to be a member of the group.
Actually, yes it does. If it is a group with no members, someone stumbling on it will disregard it. Also, part of having the current members on it, it may pop up as a group suggestion to friends, or friends of friends. But if you are not on FB, don't feel the need to join, and if it really bothers you that much, you can just not join the group (or leave it ) whenever needed.

correct Pappy. if you don't do facebook, no need to join. it will just be a place to post events, and new people can find it and show up. there's too many old guys here (I am included in that now) that will help keep everything or most of it here on mud. however, what T said is true as more and more younger members join. they will likely migrate over to Facebook. we'll have to keep this in mind as we go forward. but we do need new members to cycle through to make the club survive.

This complaining about being an old fart and not wanting to do something newfangled is kind of funny. I remember when the club still used a Yahoo Group with daily emails before someone finally convinced most of us to switch from the Yahoo Group over to MUD.

I think that's when we lost the really old farts Jack (Santa FE) and Larry Gorman. Although, we might have lost Larry when he went to the dark side and bought a Jeep.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom