Builds Canguro Racing's Monica (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some neat thoughts from @dmc

Warning: Philosophical Rant Below...

I’ve been doing Chase Rig profiles for the Canguro Racing Instagram feed over the last month or so and this seemingly boring picture got me thinking. Then those thoughts stuck with me. It’s unlikely that anyone would look at this pic and think ‘desert racing chase team.’ Perhaps the gear bags and race numbers might tip off the well trained eye but I doubt it would be anyone’s first reaction. Where are all the dump cans? How about the diesel powered, American built trucks with ladder racks and spare tires? Both to our faces, and behind our backs, people said that we were crazy or that we didn’t know what we were doing. I remember vividly the day that a friend told me that other local ‘racers’ said we were idiots for attempting the Baja 1000. While they sat home worrying about being 100% prepared before attempting the Mil we were celebrating at the finish line in La Paz after 1200 miles of success in our first attempt. See all the Scepter cans in this pic? That is what we used to fuel the race car our first few years. Why? Because we had them and they worked. Chasing in SUVs? Yep, why not? But my thoughts are not about the success and failures of Canguro Racing. This photo stands out to me because we were doing it. I can’t believe how often I read on forums or have discussions with people about all the things they want to do ‘once their vehicle is ready.’ Or when ‘they are in the right position in life.’ I sold my old ARB Fridge a few years ago to a guy who told me he needed it before he could take a trip to a mountain range 2 hours west of SLC and he hoped to make the trip by the end of the summer. I actually told him not to buy my fridge and use the money for gas to go that weekend. He thought I was nuts. I thought the same of him. I sold him my fridge, then went to that same mountain range a few weekends later with little more than a 44oz coke and a camera. The list of people who tell me about their dream trip to Alaska is long. Yet year after year none of them ever take it. I understand the need to be prepared but the reality is when it comes to taking on challenges or pursuing dreams no one will ever be 100% prepared. Except for one thing. The right attitude. The attitude of doing. I don’t know if it’s personality type, experiences, both positive and negative, lack of confidence or just plain old fear but I’m amazed at how many people never DO. Yes it’s a Nike slogan but Just Doing It is really all that most of these people I come across need to realize. Many of the best experiences of my life ended in failure from an outsider’s perspective. And possibly my own at the time. But it was that experience itself that provided the value. Not the result. Is there more value in success? Possibly. But how does one learn the difference? By doing. It seems so fundamental but I’m amazed how often I run across people that can’t understand it. The ‘don’t’ or ‘can’t’ attitude is something I get objectively but subjectively it baffles me. If something matters to me, or I have a goal I want to accomplish, I just start down that path and figure it out as I go. It’s really not that hard. I don’t feel by any means that my accomplishments in life are anything special. I’ve just done what I’ve wanted to do. But I will say that they are somewhat unique and because of that I’m constantly being asked about them. Or more frequently asked advice on how to do it. (Just this morning I’m answering Baja questions from total strangers.) It’s because of that frequency of advice and this boring pic that this little rant occurred. In the end for me it’s about doing. I’d rather not look the part, follow the traditional path, or be 100% ready and achieve my goal than wait and do something perfectly. Because that latter attitude usually results in not doing anything at all. I’ve been blessed to be around many like-minded people that constantly inspire me. More than likely they don’t realize it, and I should probably be better at thanking them, but that’s a topic for another day. Again to most people this picture is boring but to me it is evidence of a pretty successful race team that understands that DOING is the most important thing.

View attachment 1370151
I couldn't agree with you enough @dmc. Loved this, hell it was like listening to myself rant. Keep proving them wrong!

I’ve been doing Chase Rig profiles for the Canguro Racing Instagram feed over the last month or so and this seemingly boring picture got me thinking. Then those thoughts stuck with me. It’s unlikely that anyone would look at this pic and think ‘desert racing chase team.’ Perhaps the gear bags and race numbers might tip off the well trained eye but I doubt it would be anyone’s first reaction. Where are all the dump cans? How about the diesel powered, American built trucks with ladder racks and spare tires? Both to our faces, and behind our backs, people said that we were crazy or that we didn’t know what we were doing. I remember vividly the day that a friend told me that other local ‘racers’ said we were idiots for attempting the Baja 1000. While they sat home worrying about being 100% prepared before attempting the Mil we were celebrating at the finish line in La Paz after 1200 miles of success in our first attempt. See all the Scepter cans in this pic? That is what we used to fuel the race car our first few years. Why? Because we had them and they worked. Chasing in SUVs? Yep, why not? But my thoughts are not about the success and failures of Canguro Racing. This photo stands out to me because we were doing it. I can’t believe how often I read on forums or have discussions with people about all the things they want to do ‘once their vehicle is ready.’ Or when ‘they are in the right position in life.’ I sold my old ARB Fridge a few years ago to a guy who told me he needed it before he could take a trip to a mountain range 2 hours west of SLC and he hoped to make the trip by the end of the summer. I actually told him not to buy my fridge and use the money for gas to go that weekend. He thought I was nuts. I thought the same of him. I sold him my fridge, then went to that same mountain range a few weekends later with little more than a 44oz coke and a camera. The list of people who tell me about their dream trip to Alaska is long. Yet year after year none of them ever take it. I understand the need to be prepared but the reality is when it comes to taking on challenges or pursuing dreams no one will ever be 100% prepared. Except for one thing. The right attitude. The attitude of doing. I don’t know if it’s personality type, experiences, both positive and negative, lack of confidence or just plain old fear but I’m amazed at how many people never DO. Yes it’s a Nike slogan but Just Doing It is really all that most of these people I come across need to realize. Many of the best experiences of my life ended in failure from an outsider’s perspective. And possibly my own at the time. But it was that experience itself that provided the value. Not the result. Is there more value in success? Possibly. But how does one learn the difference? By doing. It seems so fundamental but I’m amazed how often I run across people that can’t understand it. The ‘don’t’ or ‘can’t’ attitude is something I get objectively but subjectively it baffles me. If something matters to me, or I have a goal I want to accomplish, I just start down that path and figure it out as I go. It’s really not that hard. I don’t feel by any means that my accomplishments in life are anything special. I’ve just done what I’ve wanted to do. But I will say that they are somewhat unique and because of that I’m constantly being asked about them. Or more frequently asked advice on how to do it. (Just this morning I’m answering Baja questions from total strangers.) It’s because of that frequency of advice and this boring pic that this little rant occurred. In the end for me it’s about doing. I’d rather not look the part, follow the traditional path, or be 100% ready and achieve my goal than wait and do something perfectly. Because that latter attitude usually results in not doing anything at all. I’ve been blessed to be around many like-minded people that constantly inspire me. More than likely they don’t realize it, and I should probably be better at thanking them, but that’s a topic for another day. Again to most people this picture is boring but to me it is evidence of a pretty successful race team that understands that DOING is the most important thing.

View attachment 1370151

Love the rant...and have lived that rant in my own way.
Many many stories worth retelling.
I've lived a weird life all over the world, and people often ask how.
I always wonder how people can stand to do otherwise.

Last edited:

View attachment 1370151
LOVE THIS!!! Story of my life, and I wouldn't live it any other way!

View attachment 1370151

Well Said! I loved the Alaska comments. Since 2001 I wanted to do a motorcycle trip to Alaska and every year had a reason/excuse to move it out. Finally, my wife got fed-up with listening to me talk about Alaska and told me to just go! So off I went in June this year - and it was spectacular. It took a LOT less gear/stuff than I had imagined. And August 2017 I am talking the family to Prudhoe Bay in my stock 08 LX.
....well maybe I will get some KO2s mounted before I go....

Well Said! I loved the Alaska comments. Since 2001 I wanted to do a motorcycle trip to Alaska and every year had a reason/excuse to move it out. Finally, my wife got fed-up with listening to me talk about Alaska and told me to just go! So off I went in June this year - and it was spectacular. It took a LOT less gear/stuff than I had imagined. And August 2017 I am talking the family to Prudhoe Bay in my stock 08 LX.
....well maybe I will get some KO2s mounted before I go....

Awesome! Go for it.
I've driven to Prudho Bay twice in 1999 and again in 2000...then a third Alaska trip in 2001. Back then, it was not paved, and you definitely needed extra fuel in case wet/muddy stuff slowed you down or a washout meant backtracking.

Also took a 2nd spare. Industrial equipment moving up & down the Dalton Highway ("Haul Road"), tends to include puncture prone stuff. We watched a guy puncture both left tires at once as he drove over a hunk of metal. Patch kit worth taking too.

In 2001, they were in the process of paving & kinda felt disappointed to see that...but haven't been back since. Was it paved when you went?

Last edited:
I think many of us in the IH8MUD forum live by the mantra's and rant that @dmc shared. It is what drives us and makes us a little different then the rest. For me, it is all perspective. I feel I have already overcome so much yet have experienced little. Yet I know I have been blessed to experience so much more in life then most. I am surrounded by people who think I am "Lucky". Even my father said this to me once after one of my Alaska trips. I have never won much more then $2 in a scratcher. The "luck" I have had was because of my fortitude and desire to do more then what was the norm and what my peers were doing. I have been fortunate in that I have survived so many daring adventures in life but I have always thought that whatever I have wanted to achieve, someone has already done it. And when they did it, it was likely much more challenging then when I was attempting to accomplish the same. Adventure and exploration is so fulfilling and spiritual in so many ways. Unfortunately, in the last century, we as a society have been indoctrinated into a culture of comforts, which has changed our perspective and our drive to live life to its fullest.

Last edited:
Love y'alls comments. Last summer I took an assignment in Alaska and relocated my family up to Fairbanks for the summer. Some of our friends and family thought we were nuts. I thought it was too awesome of an opportunity to pass up. We are an adventurous family. More so than most everyone we know. Our kids love the outdoors and nature. So we did it...loaded up my wife and our 4 kids and drove across this beautiful Country. One of the best decisions we ever made. We saw just about every national park driving from Florida to Seattle (barged the vehicle from Seattle to Anchorage). Took a different route home and saw even more driving back home. And we took in as much as we could while we were in Alaska. People ask us if we would do it again and we immediately say heck yeah we would! I know this is off topic from the original thread but doing these kinds of things is important. For me, it's part of who I am. My mountain bike trip to Iceland this summer is another example. All my buddies said they were so jealous and wanted to go. So I said come on. But they all had excuses. They all said "one day" and my reply was to heck with one day. I am doing this stuff now. Live life.

There is an awesome thread on our facebook page right with Cruiser, Tacoma, 4Runner pics coming in from all over the world. Love seeing real would pics from around the world. And thanks to all those who has contributed. Nice to see some Mud faces as well!

Canguro Racing

Kurt,
you guys racing the 500 next month?

Prep starts and it starts with massive pressure washing :eek:

IMG_2352.JPG

Productive night in the shop last night. Stage II of the cleaning process, removal of the front light bar, headlights, grille, and bumper in preparation for some pretty extensive repairs that will need to happen before our next race. We did a leak down test on our motor and it continues to give us the same predicable results. All cylinders were between 2% and 4% leakage. If you know anything about leak down tests you'll be impressed by those numbers, especially for a truck with over 10,000 race miles (including several hundred miles with basically no air cleaner) and... never an engine rebuild. Amazing.

And of course the best way to pressure wash... with a forklift

IMG_2353.JPG

whats the weight of this as it hits the start line?

That is a great question and I used to know the exact answer but I want to say 6550

thats heavy and not surprising you cracked the Lca. How often are you guys replacing lca or other stock suspension bits? do
u wait til stuff breaks or do you have a service/swapout interval as p.m to avoid breakage on highly stressed bits like lcas?

so basically with fender trimming and some apropriately backspaced wheels- the lc200's are fitting 37s fairly handily on stock arms with some lowered bumpstops of course?

Last edited:
thats heavy and not surprising you cracked the Lca. How often are you guys replacing lca or other stock suspension bits? do
u wait til stuff breaks or do you have a service/swapout interval as p.m to avoid breakage on highly stressed bits like lcas?

so basically with fender trimming and some apropriately backspaced wheels- the lc200's are fitting 37s fairly handily on stock arms with some lowered bumpstops of course?

Pretty much every race, at least any 500+ mile races, we take the old parts with us as spares in chase vehicles.

Don't forget about the body lift!

We are back at race prep, @onesprung60 doing the old 'steel rod to the ear to track down a vibration' trick. Sadly he and his skills will be returning back to Japan Monday. Next time we see him will be at the the 1000 in November.

IMG_2491.JPG

Prep continues...

Last week we pulled all the shocks and coilovers and I shipped them off to King for our regular service overhaul. This week we pulled the rest of the suspension, steering, the axles and front diff. We now have a blank slate to clean up and start reassembling. It's pretty how fast we can strip it down at this point :eek:

IMG_2613.JPG

Ever wonder what your 200 would look at with all its drivetrain removed... this is a start :D

:eek:

And I'm griping about having to replace my 08's starter LOL. :lol:

I'd rather do their race prep than replace a starter again. PITA job. find a 10 yr old with rubber arms to get in there to get the bolts started.
:zilla::bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom