Thinking about getting an off road tent trailer, need input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been on several camping trips now, and have been tweeking my setup each time. Pretty easy tent camping or sleeping in the truck if it's just me and my boy. The girls went with me to Ouray CO last year, with a stop in Utah. We ended up staying in the tent, and while it worked great in Utah (Kodachrome Basin CG), it didn't work so good in Ouray (4J). So, I have been toying with the idea of getting a used small-ish off road tent trailer to try to get the family to go camping. And I would like to off-load some weight /gear from my truck to the trailer so it's not so cramped.

I have been considering primarily to types: small trailer with built in tent or small off-road popup.

I have been looking for some time for a USA venturcraft. I had a line on one recently but it was bought out from under me. They are pretty hard to find, and older so often need repair. Unless one drops in my lap, I will probably move on.

Recently I have been considering the tentrax (smaller end of the size range) and the 10' popups like the Jayco 10Z, Starcraft 10RT and Coleman Evolution E1 (large end of the range).

Some pros and cons as I see it (in no particualr order):

Tentrax:
A few nice ones on craigslist for around $4k built and in good shape.
Built for difficult off-road so would go anywhere my truck would go.
Simple.
Minimal ammenities.
Only sleeps two (guys can sleep in the truck or tent).
Pretty much only for storage and sleeping.
High build quality.

Popup:
Sleeps the whole family then some.
Room for indoor activities, or to get in out of bad weather.
Built in water tank, fridge, etc.
More expensive ($5k-$9k in good shape).
More drama/effort to maintain/use.
BIG
Limited off road ability.
Lower build quality, apparently cabinets are made from wood pulp paper and held together with staples.

Anyone with first hand experience with these? Longer term reviews? Things you like/don't like?

A couple that I am looking at:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...4-Jayco-Baja-10Z-Off-Road-Pop-Up-Tent-Trailer

Tentrax Off Road A/T Tent trailer

For us the plusses far outweigh the minuses. I've seen lots of popups in the campgrounds and the jaycos have appeared to be the best put together.

We've had our Kamper through some tights spots and it adds stress when doing so. But its nice to have the amenities it provides.

I have a Fleetwood Cobalt pop up, we have used it as a family many times. Very small package. Lightweight. I did the spring over swap on it. Downside, very little inside storage when in towing state. I have now built an adventure trailer that worked out good for us at Ov Expo. Look at the Fleetwood.

Funny, I was just looking at the Cobalt as a smaller alternative to the Baja. I like the compact size, but it apparently doesn't have a fridge. Plus I am pretty tall so not sure I would fit on the bed.

You looking to sell yours?

I used a Viking pop up for camp trips for a few years. It was certainly nicer than a tent and towed very well at just under 2000lbs loaded. Did not do well on wash boards or very mild off road. Ended up using a large box of coated wood screws to pull all the interior cabinets, floor and panels together. The 3 way fridge was nice for a couple of cold drinks and steaks but not much more. 20 gallons of water on demand was nice, but also required cleaning and regular bleaching to keep clean and fresh. The heater was useless unless you have shore power or generator for the electric fan. By the time I bought a Honda generator, new inverter, portable toilet, second battery, and spacers for a mild lift for clearance, I could have bought a used, purpose built trailer like the fleetwoods, or similar jaycos that had more off road ability and at least a built in toilet caset unit.

Storage was not useable unless you had it open with beds pulled out, except for what you can reach from an open half door. So a front platform available on some would be a usefull option. Set up took much longer than a tent, up to an hour on not so level ground. And finally wind is the killer of all pop ups. I had to re-sew several seems from desert winds and install lash down points on the corners to keep it from rocking too much. I would consider one again for long campground stays but not for anything else. At this point I have relegated to the fact that my wife is a full RV camper and when I go, I use a tent cot.

What about an AT Chaser/Horizon with a large tent on top? Maybe a 1/4 ton military trailer with tent on top. Less than an AT.

I used a Viking pop up for camp trips for a few years. It was certainly nicer than a tent and towed very well at just under 2000lbs loaded. Did not do well on wash boards or very mild off road. Ended up using a large box of coated wood screws to pull all the interior cabinets, floor and panels together. The 3 way fridge was nice for a couple of cold drinks and steaks but not much more. 20 gallons of water on demand was nice, but also required cleaning and regular bleaching to keep clean and fresh. The heater was useless unless you have shore power or generator for the electric fan. By the time I bought a Honda generator, new inverter, portable toilet, second battery, and spacers for a mild lift for clearance, I could have bought a used, purpose built trailer like the fleetwoods, or similar jaycos that had more off road ability and at least a built in toilet caset unit.

Storage was not useable unless you had it open with beds pulled out, except for what you can reach from an open half door. So a front platform available on some would be a usefull option. Set up took much longer than a tent, up to an hour on not so level ground. And finally wind is the killer of all pop ups. I had to re-sew several seems from desert winds and install lash down points on the corners to keep it from rocking too much. I would consider one again for long campground stays but not for anything else. At this point I have relegated to the fact that my wife is a full RV camper and when I go, I use a tent cot.

Thanks. Good advice. Didn't even think about the wind issue

What about an AT Chaser/Horizon with a large tent on top? Maybe a 1/4 ton military trailer with tent on top. Less than an AT.

ATs are way out of my budget.

A good M101cdn wouldn't be...if you can find one.

I picked up a Fleetwood Utah last Spring. It was the perfect fit for my family of 5. It's not an "offroad" trailer but for $3,000 off craigslist it is great. Has the dual king beds and the slide out across the dining area. Super roomy and I already upgraded it to have a water heater, a larger water tank. Will also be adding an AC unit next summer for Desert camping comfort. I will also do the super easy and cheap spring over axle lift next summer and some 29"-31" tires. It will have an "offroad" look with tons of ground clearance. Also has a ton of storage in the front and opens up to almost 25' inside.

Just got this text from an old neighbor:
you know of anyone who may be interested. It's a Jayco Baja 10Y about 2008. He wants 5k but will go lower if he can get rid of it quick. It's in really good shape. Thanks.

Nathan, sent you a PM.

Related question: I am not a fan of the front ATV deck, but it seems most of the manufacturers are using them. How difficult would it be to cut it off and re-weld the frame? Would it still be safe? Tow fine? What about adding a lock and roll type hitch (assuming electric brakes not surge brakes)?

00i0i_gCgZvxAj72p_1200x900.jpg

I looked into doing the reverse just to add a small outside storage area for gas, generator, fire wood etc. but cost became an issue to add and strengthen an old frame. Seems easily possible since I believe they made this Model with no platform. Jacks just bolt to the frame, the poles have a hole slot that is incorporated into the frame. Seems like just cut out an entire square frame section and triangular section as one, butt weld and add a sleeve into the frame, remount the jacks, and cut and relocate the bed platform poles and mounts. Unless you can weld or have a friend who can, to assure it stays true, it may be easier and cheaper to find the BAJA shorter version.

you would have to modify the pulleys and lift system since the crank is usually located up on the tongue.
if that's 5grand, i'd scoop it up in a hurry. My Palomino like that, same year was 13K, and they are 19K now.
(granted mine is a skosh bigger ) but still...

I pulled mine behind a Tundra, it did awesome, and it rips across the dunes of pismo no worries.
My 80 hurts when I tug it, but it's 21' and way heavier than this model here.

seems a bit heavy for a swivel hitch.

Tentrax Baja Trailer

Posted in a Craigslist thread over on Expo.

I dont see the appeal for a Tentrax much less at the premium they charge. Id rather have a tent.

Agreed Phil, but this trailer was an option posted above. ;)

Too small, even for one person IMHO. I don't have too much more than that asking price into my M101CDN with Globetrotter - around $6-7K.

Haven't heard of that one, but doesn't look bad in your photo. Small trailer, yet a full sleeping platform on the fold out and a vestibule you can stand up in to boot! Last was a requirement of mine - gotta have a place to stand up. Getting too damn old to dress/undress in a sitting position/lying down!

Haven't heard of that one, but doesn't look bad in your photo. Small trailer, yet a full sleeping platform on the fold out and a vestibule you can stand up in to boot! Last was a requirement of mine - gotta have a place to stand up. Getting too damn old to dress/undress in a sitting position/lying down!

Great off road trailer a little too early for its time. Not available since ~1996
Very capable off road
Queen size bed
Under 600lbs wet
Water tight up to 36"
U turns in 27'

trailer-test-1-jpg.702281

trailer1-jpg.643884

trailer4-jpg.643888

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom