12v system how to use a 24V winch? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'd need two batteries and a series/parallel switch...

~John

Got two batteries. Can you keep the engine running and batteries charging while using 24V?

I would think that running a 24V winch off of a dual battery 12V set up would create a uneven load on the batteries and cause problems, what kind I don't know.

Last edited:
I would think that running a 12V winch off of one battery on a dual 24V set up would create a uneven load on the batteries and cause problems, what kind I don't know.

This is an evil situation... don't do it!

~John

You can sell me the 24V winch and buy a 12V??? This way we both win and make it easier on you. :clap:

Just hook it up...it'll be a little slow...just pretend it's a Ramsey. :D

Seriously, if BJ44V wants your 24V winch sell it to him and pick up a 12V for your rig. If it doesn't work, then just buy the parts necessary to convert your winch over to 12V...wouldn't be very hard to do.

You don't need to swap the complete winch, only the motors.
GG

I thought it was only the solanoids that need to be reduced to achieve 12v,the motor should be the same 12v or 24v, if I remember right the 24v has 4 solenoids ran in a series to accept the 24v power source.

the 24v winch would run on 12v supply, just not anywhere near as well ie speed and or power would be real bad! Also the solenoids would also need to be replaced with a 12v solenoid.... I have heard of blokes running 12v motors on 24v systems also, but i would think the motors would run HOT and burn out the windings...but they would pull like a mutha ***ka till they did give up..... just my .02

I lost 2 pretty good Deep Cycle batteries while running the radio of one. A friend told me the radio uses so little, I could tap one battery of my 24 volt system. After one year, I lost one battery. We only ever used the radio while driving, so I don't know about a winch, but I guess it consumes a fair bit more than a radio...

Depending where you are...I might be interested in 24v motor..?

I lost 2 pretty good Deep Cycle batteries while running the radio of one. A friend told me the radio uses so little, I could tap one battery of my 24 volt system. After one year, I lost one battery. We only ever used the radio while driving, so I don't know about a winch, but I guess it consumes a fair bit more than a radio...

I think your radio has a "keep alive memory" that uses a small amount of power when the key is off. That is the killer of your precious batteries.

With healthy batteries and a functioning charging system, you should'nt have a problem.

Rick

I think your radio has a "keep alive memory" that uses a small amount of power when the key is off. That is the killer of your precious batteries.

With healthy batteries and a functioning charging system, you should'nt have a problem.

Rick

Well, I learned the hard way... never run a 12 volt thing of one of your 24 volt set-up batteries! Even if it is just a radio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom