72 FJ55 for possible sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT*****NOW ACTUALLY FOR SALE***** LOWERED PRICE 4900.00 *******

I bought it in 1995. I bought it from a guy that had done a complete conversion on it-- a 350 GM crate engine, a turbo 350 tranny, and an NP 203 T-case. That all has about 70k miles on it. The front axle has a power steering conversion, shackle reversal and twin shock set up. That was all done by fly-n-hi in phoenix. Some of their work was dubious, but most has been trouble free. The biggest dubious thing was they left the FJ55 rear axle in with its 4.11 gearings and put in an FJ60 front axle with 3.74. It took me a while to figure that out. I fixed that problem by having an FJ60 axle put in, using Dave Gores u-bolt flip kits and one of his nice shackles. I have wondered if there was maybe residuals issues in the T-case from this, but it has never given me a problem. And NP203's are dirt cheap anyway.

So it has FJ60 axles front and rear, a power trax in the rear axle. The radiator was just recored. 33x12.50 MTRs. Custom winch bumper set up for a 8724. The front seats are modern chevy truck seats with integrated shoulder belts.

There are some bad things-- the speedo does not work, some other gauges don't work, the power steering gear leaks (has for 15 years actually).

I can come up with a list of potential and actual issues, but none that I know of are major. Examples-- it could still use a larger radiator if you want to tow things up the mountain in the heat of summer. I have never had issues with overheating at normal speeds, but at highway speeds in the middle of summer to the stock radiator is pushed to keep up with the V8. We tried to put a custom Ron Davis radiator in but couldn't make it fit. I am pretty sure we could have got a smaller one in, and I still have the radiator mounts for that type of radiator.

I have some other parts for it. Including some nicer rams horn headers and specter off road springs (I think they were Ironman). Also have some autometer gauges. I will probably sell those things separately if wanted. I actually had an FJ60 T-case, with a rebuild kit, and NP203 doubler adapter. My plan was to use the front half of the NP203 that was in there and put the 60 case in behind it. That stuff is up in Globe with Dave Gore, and might be available, although technically I traded that back to him for a set of sliders for my 80.

You could probably find out more than you wanted to know about this truck by searching ih8mud and the FJ55 list archives.

Jared

EDIT-- it also has a custom 37 gallon gas tank. Made and installed by a guy in Phx.

DSC_0201Large.jpg

DSC_0202Large.jpg

DSC_0200Large.jpg

DSC_0199Large.jpg

DSC_0198Large.jpg

DSC_0197Large.jpg

DSC_0196Large.jpg

DSC_0203Large.jpg

P1010017Large.jpg

P1010016Large.jpg

P1010027Large.jpg

P1010025Large.jpg

Last edited:
must...get...more...gutter...mounts... :lol::lol::lol:

I may have gotten a little carried away with the gutters-- but I wanted a strong roof rack, and there were not many racks available for the 55.

Jared

I may have gotten a little carried away with the gutters-- but I wanted a strong roof rack, and there were not many racks available for the 55.

Jared

I was just giving you crap (but didn't you or your brother buy my Tradesman rack years ago?). If you do decide to sell, you'll like the 80. Heck, you'd even like the 100, too.

Hmmm. I happen to have a complete Chevy 4 speed mated to a Jeep Dana 18 transfer case..... is the clutch pedal still there?

Dave

Jared
Howdy! Too much support is a lot better than not enough!! Do you remember who made the custom tank? I always thought that 35-40 would be the right size, as the 50 gallon ones on the market are just too big. John

I was just giving you crap (but didn't you or your brother buy my Tradesman rack years ago?). If you do decide to sell, you'll like the 80. Heck, you'd even like the 100, too.

My other brother (Sean--SJ here) bought the tradesman rack from you, and it is still on his 60. He also has a 100 so I know how nice those are.

I already have an 80. Another brother has one has well. It is the youngest brother who is thinking about getting one as well.

Jared

Hmmm. I happen to have a complete Chevy 4 speed mated to a Jeep Dana 18 transfer case..... is the clutch pedal still there?

Dave

Just to be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny and t-case that is it. I took the clutch pedal out, but I think it is still in the box of parts. The actual clutch master is still in the car.

Howdy! Too much support is a lot better than not enough!! Do you remember who made the custom tank? I always thought that 35-40 would be the right size, as the 50 gallon ones on the market are just too big. John

Yes I know that. I tried the 47 gallon long range tank from Man-a-Fre and couldn't get it in. I decided it was too big anyway and sold it. I don't remember the name of this guy who built the tank-- but he was just off Washington street, almost across from Four Wheeler Supply. He did a good job. I told him how far I wanted it to hang down and he had it just right. Custom made and installed it wasn't much more than the Man-a-fre tank.

Just to be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny and t-case that is it. I took the clutch pedal out, but I think it is still in the box of parts. The actual clutch master is still in the car.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the tranny. I just think it should be a manual. My personal preference.

Dave

Ok, I need to get serious about selling this thing. I was going to ask 6k for it. But I am not sure if that is reasonable. One the one hand, I am sure there is easily 15k into it (most done before I got it). On the other hand, it is beast and has a few issues. But back on the first hand, I see people asking 4k for ones that are bone stock and in worse condition.

What do you guys think? Anybody want to take a look at it before I put it up on CL? I will not be offended by absurd low ball offers.

Jared

PS: Anybody have a speedo and oil pressure gauge for it?

May have a speedo but I think its from a 7/70. Where are you at?

Still looking for a speedo for this, let me know if you have one. And I really am going to put it up for sale on CL, probably later this week. Let me know if anyone really wants it.

I found that I have some more parts for it, including a tranmission hump (one with no holes), a factory tire holder, a factory rear view mirror, spare rear window gear and others.

Jared

I already have a 74 Pig, and a 69 parts vehicle, or I would consider it. However, it would no doubt cause a divorce

maybe I missed it, what was the price :confused:

Sorry, I am asking 6k, but I am certainly open to any offers or explanations as to why I am asking too much.

Jared

PS: my craigslist ad got flagged. Why would they do that?

Just a reminder that I am still selling this thing. Wife starting to complain about number of landcruisers in driveway.

I lowered the price on CL to 5100.

Open to offers or even just sarcastic comments.

Sorry, I am asking 6k, but I am certainly open to any offers or explanations as to why I am asking too much.

Jared

PS: my craigslist ad got flagged. Why would they do that?
Probably flagged by someone else trying to sell a Piggy??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom