Custom Front Bar Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made a new front bar about the middle of last year. I took a few pics along the way with the intention of posting the build up on here at some point. There was nothing wrong with the old bar, it was just time for a change and I was looking for a new project to keep me out of trouble.

I spent a great deal of time scouring the inter-web for rear bar designs to garner new and different design ideas. With my research done and a firm idea of what I wanted, I got stuck into the build. Not long into it, I soon realised most of those wonderful grandiose ideas I had were thrown out the window and I just went with the flow. It took a $hit load of work in welding, cutting, grinding and painting but the end result was worth it.

Tools used were:
4in grinder
5in grinder
2 clamps
1 straight edge
a heap of 5in thin cutting dics
2 5in grinding discs
7 4in flap wheels
mig welder
about 2kg welding wire
1/2 bottle argoshield
2 saw-horses
an assortment of paint tins and boxes for support.

Blank canvas ready to go. Note I had already removed the centre section of the lower panel the blinkers are housed in. I then folded, welded and painted the remainder to finish it off. This was done to increase airflow through all the coolers and rads that are now mounted in front.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=365&u=14684539

I haven't used a winch for many years but still wanted this one to be winch compatible. I originally wanted to use 8mm plate for the winch frame but the steel shop was out of stock and I wasn't waiting for another weekend for the sake of 4 extra mm. So an off cut piece of 12mm plate it was. Funnily enough, it was the exact length I needed.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=366&u=14684539

The side mountings are 8mm plate. It bolts on using all the factory mounting points. What I haven't shown images of is the 6 x 65mm holes I drilled out of the 12mm winch plate - both for drainage and weight reduction. The final weight was 37.6kg
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=367&u=14684539

With the winch frame done it was time to wrap it up. I did this using 3mm plate. I bent it up by marking the fold points on the back (or front, depending which way you want the fold to go). I then clamped a straight edge along the line score along the line with a grinder. This gives you a perfectly straight line and a neater fold. On 3mm, you need the score about 1.5 > 2mm deep. Once it's bent into shape by hand and welded into position, you just weld up the score line. Once ground back and finished off with a flap wheel, it looks like a factory bend. Here, I've also started making the sides. Cardboard templates make life easy but keep in mind that after many years of offroad use and the odd repair, no two sides are rarely the same - so it may be necessary to make two templates. Note my high tech assortment of supports... patent pending :D
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=368&u=14684539

Both side wings are on, again using the score, fold and weld method. Also, by welding the internal corners, you reinforce them and add thickness so you can round the external corners without weakening the job.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=369&u=14684539

One design feature I wanted in the new bar was a little more protection on the front corners. I achieved this by extending the side wings about 30mm past the flare. Already this has proved to be a great idea after an intimate encounter with a tree and a 40deg side angle through some ruts.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=370&u=14684539

Here, I've cut the hole to recess the hoop into. I also spent some time trying to keep things symmetrical with existing, like matching the angle of the turn-down of the side wing / blinker panel. Only the observant ones really notice but I like retaining little details like that.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=371&u=14684539

I decided to break up the front with some alloy mesh inserts. It took a fair bit of time working out the proportions before I went any further - especially because that part of the bar is tapered.

Then it was time to cut them out. But first I wanted each corner rounded so drilled each one with a 12mm drill bit. Having first pre-drilled them all with a 5mm bit, by the 24th hole I was quite over drilling.

The remainder was cut out with the grinder and tidied any cooked bits up with the die grinder.

I then went round and welded in a heap of gussets and stiffeners to retain strength.

Here's a pic of the scored fold lines welded up.

One tip I've always used from a machinist mate was to use bits of hacksaw blades in between mounting points. This gives you enough clearance so it can be installed and removed without binding or jamming on the chassis. Works a treat.

I then made up two recovery points using 10mm plate. I drilled them out so I could still get the bolts into the side of the chassis but I welded them on for good measure.

The top bar was made and installed. I used 50mmx4mm pipe with 90deg weld in bends. I tapered one end of each bend to give me the slight splay I wanted.

The legs were also checked out so they ran about 50mm further past on the inside. By the time they were welded in, it was in for good.

Almost done... after several hours of filling sanding, undercoating and priming.

No sooner had the paint dried I was bolting it on and packing the fourby for a 3weeks adventure through the Channel Country. This is the only clean pic I have of it, taken a few days into the trip before we hit the dirt. To date, it has performed faultlessly and withstood the punishment it was designed for. I'm sure some will notice the AC filter hanging down. I do plan on removing the bar and welding on a protective shroud for it. Having said that, I have never, in all my off-roading, ever come close to damaging it. Funny when I read of others shear paranoia of damaging it. Them's the breaks I guess.

Great build. :cheers:

I can't imagine that the mesh cut outs would compromise strength much at all. If you ran into something that would bend the bar as it is chances are you would be replacing it for similar damage either way. My personal taste for blacking out trim would be to see them the same color as the bumper.

Yeah, I must agree with you about color coding the alloy inserts. I should have known better than to think they would be easy to keep clean. It's coming off again in the near future for some more tweaks and it will get a new coat of paint in the process, inserts included - if I don't change my mind and fill them back in all together...

The fear of breaking off the AC dryer is real. I did it unfortunately.:-( So i moved it up and angled it towards the frame after using some Tundra AC dryer lines to come up with a shorter overall height. Fingers crossed i don't do it again down the road. . . .

I also busted my AC dryer but it the cause was because of the weak stock front bumper

About the antenna in the bumper, is that a 109" whip covered with a PVC pipe?:hmm:

One of my favorite homebuilt bumpers, looks clean, good work.

Awesome build. I like the center section the most. Very robust.

What winch will you mount??

Cheers
Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom