Project: Stock Front Bumper with Integrated Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spdwaver

Formerly Kalifornistanian
Threads
I have decided to finally mount a winch onto my stock front bumper. I cannot foresee having the funds to buy the steel to make my new armored front bumper, so I am going to use what I have already.

Also, without modifying the frame or other mounts, this will be reversible for when I get a real winch. ;)

Abstract:

I have a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 8000# winch that was given to me. The winch will mount underneath the frame rails just behind the front bumper, the fairlead is integrated into the universal mounting plate (still sold through Harbor Freight) which has been trimmed/modified to fit between the frame rails.

I will use images to show all dimensions for those who wish to do the same with their stock bumper, or to simply record the dimensions again for those who will need them for another project.

Images and progress to follow. :cheers:

Is your winch going to be between the rails, or above/below the rails?
I've still got to cut my OE bumper for a receiver to slide thru it into the receiver hitch I wil have mounted between the rails. (by the end of the day tomorrow I hope) Haven't decided the best way to cut the bumper yet. Any ideas? I was thinking either drilling a hole and using a metal blade in a jigsaw or perhaps a air grinder with a cutting wheel.

Subscribed.

There was a good thread last year from SnakeEater on the same topic. I look forward to another one as I'm ready to trade one of my Warn 8274s for a smaller winch like an M8000 or M9000 that will fit behind the factory bumper.

I have decided to finally mount a winch onto my stock front bumper. I cannot foresee having the funds to buy the steel to make my new armored front bumper, so I am going to use what I have already.

Also, without modifying the frame or other mounts, this will be reversible for when I get a real winch. ;)

Abstract:

I have a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 8000# winch that was given to me. The winch will mount underneath the frame rails just behind the front bumper, the fairlead is integrated into the universal mounting plate (still sold through Harbor Freight) which has been trimmed/modified to fit between the frame rails.

I will use images to show all dimensions for those who wish to do the same with their stock bumper, or to simply record the dimensions again for those who will need them for another project.

Images and progress to follow. :cheers:

I have done this before to my white 8o with the same winch you have using a TJ winch mounting plate. I will be doing this soon to my LX overland project using a Mile Marker 8000 lb. winch. The previous setup included a hawse fairlead with as small of a hole cut into the factory bumper as possible. This time, I will cut a larger hole the size of the licence plate and use a roller fairlead. I can post pics of the former setup but do not want to spoil your thread.

To clarify, the mounting plate will utilize the holes used to mount the front recovery hooks. The winch will mount between the frame rails, with the hope that I can have the fairlead extend outward to sit flush with the bumper. The bumper will need to be cut to allow for the front of the mounting plate. I have already made the template and am preparing to cut the bumper in about five minutes from now.

Stay tuned.

It was almost like the 80 and it's bumper was designed to have a winch in there:D.

Subscribed

I just placed my winch order for a similar project.

Here are a few mock-ups.

I wouldn't mind some opinions on how I should do the cutout on the bumper; I already allowed more than enough room for the fairlead, and am now wondering if I should cut more to allow for side-to-side movement of the winch line.

Anyway, here you go:

In the first image, I lined everything up and put on the bumper to see where the mounting plate would hit. It did, so I carved out the front of the plate and the lower portion of the bumper as you can see in image two and three.
winch01.jpg
winch02.jpg
winch03.jpg

Two more images, showing how the fairlead sits relatively flush with the bumper. The front license plate will block the fairlead, but I think I can live with that for now.
winch04.jpg
winch05.jpg

Looks good, maybe add some locking spring hinges for the plate and fold it up when the winch is in use,

Looks good, maybe add some locking spring hinges for the plate and fold it up when the winch is in use,

I was thinking I would do that, but I might just mount the plate a bit higher so that no action is required and nothing is in the way.

Or just register in a state that doesn't have a front plate :D

I wouldn't mind living in another state.

Back on track, I now have to relocate the control solenoid. It will not fit under the valance, but the winch itself fits really snug behind the bumper.

Ultimately, I had to remove the recovery hooks; these will be later relocated, but not tonight. Everything now lines up.

I will post the finished job later.

Finally finished.

Top image is what the winch looks like fully mounted.

Last few are the final product.

I am too tired to take measurements of everything now, but here are a few:

For the winch mount plate, the holes are separated by 28" exactly; the distance between the bolts on each side are 2.375" (2-3/8").

The bottom of the bumper will need to be carved out in order to allow the bottom mounting bolts to clear. The license plate was moved upward to about .50" above the two side vents.

I may want to cut more of the bumper away so that I can easily access the clutch; as it is, I can get one finger through to reach the clutch, so I can live with that.

Enjoy!
winch05a.jpg
winch06.jpg
winch07.jpg

One more, different view; final product. :cheers:
winch08.jpg

Nice job. What did you use to cut the bumper? You got some nice rounded corners I'd like to repeat on mine.
Why wouldn't the tow hooks mount under the winch plate in the same location they were originally?

Nice job. What did you use to cut the bumper? You got some nice rounded corners I'd like to repeat on mine.

I used a skillsaw with a metal-cutting blade to cut everything. It went from 7" down to three inches, so I would suggest getting two blades to do it right.

Why wouldn't the tow hooks mount under the winch plate in the same location they were originally?

The hooks, due to the fact that the mounting plate lowers them from their original position, get in the way of the brackets that mount the bumper to the frame. This is pretty much a non-issue since I have a lot of room on the mounting plate to mount the hooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom