Too Much Clam Beach...again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DSC09469.sized.jpg

DSC09460.sized.jpg

DSC09473.sized.jpg

DSC09448.sized.jpg

DSC09464.sized.jpg

Discuss
More pics HERE

:cool:

Did you do the front diff breather mod, just out of curiousity? Also, how many miles since repack and how often submerged in salt water over that time? Just looking for data...

Dougm

Did you do the front diff breather mod, just out of curiousity? Also, how many miles since repack and how often submerged in salt water over that time? Just looking for data...

Dougm

Hey Doug, both diff breathers were routed up to the engine compartment in 06. I have 5800 miles since the birf repack with bearings gaskets in January 09.
I've never had the wheels 'submerged' in salt water though I have driven through the leavings of a wave a few times, maybe 1/4" deep or less and not fast.
Patrick Creek, the creek to cross to get out to Clam Beach, has been crossed dozens of times since January. Maybe 3- 5 times a week.
Though the bearings are toast, I thought the birff grease looked fine with just a bit of topping off needed.
There you go...

Last edited:
Dunno what Toyota would say, but I'd consider packing the wheel bearings with the blue marine gear that's aluminum-based to prevent it being washed out iike that. Super tacky and designed for water in the bearings now and again.

DougM

Dunno what Toyota would say, but I'd consider packing the wheel bearings with the blue marine gear that's aluminum-based to prevent it being washed out iike that. Super tacky and designed for water in the bearings now and again.

DougM

I considered that in Jan. I guess if it can stand up to those 8" wheel speeds it should be ok for a LC.
Sadly, Clam Beach won't be somewhere the LC will go to much anymore.

Oh yuck.

Even with the Diff breather extended you can still get water in the hub. Hot hub meeing cold water.. I assume you are replacing the Stub.

Grease looks a bit soupy I would be changeing the axel seal while you are in there.

Oh yuck.

Even with the Diff breather extended you can still get water in the hub. Hot hub meeing cold water.. I assume you are replacing the Stub.

Grease looks a bit soupy I would be changeing the axel seal while you are in there.

Sadly, due to time and mostly money, only bearings and wheel seals will be changed before McGrew. I know, I know, but like I said...
I'll slap it back together as soon as I find another set of bearings in town today.
I've already started to look for replacement spindles.
Even with marine grease in the bearings, there will be no more water crossings at Clam Beach for me. Just to costly and I'm not breaking down the bearings every month so...
Plus this is taking away my time from McGrew prep and the 3FE I'm working on.
Just not enough irons in the fire I guess.
Here I go...

Yeah, extended breathers help the diff housing, but the hub is 'nominally' sealed from the diff housing by those axle seals.

I wonder if adding breathers to the hubs would be a good idea for folk that frequent water crossings with hot hubs. Potentially the square fill plugs could be replaced with some kind of threaded hollow bolt that would allow a breather tube to be hooked up to it. It could even be lightly pressurized during crossings.

Also 2nd that the soup indicates a failed axle seal, espcially if you did the birfield service only 6 months ago. Did you change the axle seals at that time?

cheers,
george.

Yeah, extended breathers help the diff housing, but the hub is 'nominally' sealed from the diff housing by those axle seals.

I wonder if adding breathers to the hubs would be a good idea for folk that frequent water crossings with hot hubs. Potentially the square fill plugs could be replaced with some kind of threaded hollow bolt that would allow a breather tube to be hooked up to it. It could even be lightly pressurized during crossings.

Also 2nd that the soup indicates a failed axle seal, espcially if you did the birfield service only 6 months ago. Did you change the axle seals at that time?

cheers,
george.
Axel seals yes. I didn't think the birf grease was that bad. Should the Molly still be the same color and consistency after 5,000 miles?

DSC09478.sized.jpg

Blessing or Curse?

DSC09486.sized.jpg

New bearings with marine bearing grease, OEM wheel seals and lh wheel slides on with only a bit of umph! needed. The rh side, as I remember from last time, required me to sit on me bum and use my feet to stomp it on. I do not have the room for my body between the two 80's as they sit.
Can I swap sides with the spindles so I have room to work with the tough one or is that a no-no?

there will be no more water crossings at Clam Beach for me. Just to costly

I here ya there; Patrick creek cost me 1100 bux for a new ECU..... and thats when i started walking the water crossings first, even ones i had done previously and thought i was familiar with.

I wouldn't swap spindle sides in case the wheel bearing wear pattern on the spindle would be bearing the truck's weight in a different spot. Unless they've always been perfect bearing adjustments, there will be a felt wear pattern on the spindles.

You should be able to rotate the tire back and forth while pushing and get that satisfying thump as it seats home - perhaps a helper? Also, when it happened last time might have been the seals being slightly tighter as opposed to the spindles sealing surface. So I'd not do it just because one side was tougher last time. I'm curious how the marine grease will hold up - update us, eh?

DougM

You should be able to rotate the tire back and forth while pushing and get that satisfying thump as it seats home - perhaps a helper?
DougM

The tire? Last time I did this the tire didn't enter into the equation until the very end after everything was buttoned up.
What's your technique?
I was going to get the kid to use his muscles. He's much bigger than I am.
We'll get that bugger on yet.
Thanks,

A few taps with a buddies 4lb dead blow mallet and the rotor/hub popped right on.
DSC09490.sized.jpg

DSC09498.sized.jpg

and there we are
DSC09500.sized.jpg

A little spin around the block reveals no immediate problems.
Today I'll have the kid drive me over to Willow Creek, 45 miles inland, for a good test drive. Should be fairly warm.
There you go...

That hub is not correct. It is supposed to match the pattern of the edge of the drive flange.

Is this a bad thing? Do you know what year it might be from?
It's been working for the 3.5 years I've had the thing.
Plan on replacing them when I replace the birfs.

I can't say, all I can tell you is it's wrong. That may be why you are having issues getting it to fit and possibly why you had the other problems. Look at the hubs on the other one and you will see the difference.

Now that's just wonderful. I did notice the difference in the flange and the gasket though I don't remember noticing the difference in January when I reassembled from the birf repack. Interesting.
Well then. I now need birfs, spindles and drive flanges not to mention all the other stuff to go along.
Sucks being me right now, sort of.

That hub is not correct. It is supposed to match the pattern of the edge of the drive flange.

Found a used pair from another 91FJ I had and they match what's on the 93 in the picture.
Not me. Previous owner and their minions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom