Finished my dual pivot rear bumper w/ tire/hi-lift/jerry can holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 9 long months, I finally finished my rear bumper. It took me so long b/c I have 4 kids 4 & under and this is my daily driver so I only had about a couple hours a weekend to work on it. I really wanted a rear bumper for my 80, but I didn't have $2K to drop on a bumper, plus none were set up exactly the way I wanted. Since I had recently purchased a welder to learn on, I figured what better way to learn than to build my own bumper. I modeled the main body of the bumper after the Wildyoats bumper. He used to sell kits for these, but since they're no longer available, I was still stuck building my own. After much use of cardboard templates and many trips to the steel plant for the purchase of raw steel and for some critical bends in some of the pieces, you see the finished product.

The main shell is 1/8" steel (reinforced w/ 1/4" angle iron in critical areas). The wings are 3/16" and attach to the main shell at the rear and to the frame at the front. The main anchors are 1/2" steel with 90 degree bends that attach to the frame. (The steel plant that did the bends for me had a press as big as a school bus that could bend up to 2" steel.) The pivots are 1,750lb. spindles. The swingarms are made out of 2X3 1/8" steel and the tire carrier is fabbed out of 2X2 1/8" steel. The jerry can holder was purchased from Adventure Trailers and the license plate holder is from JCWhitney. I used 15lb. gas charged lift gate holders (the lowest lb. force I could find) from McMaster to assist in swinging open the arms. I finally had everything powdercoated and am very pleased wih the final product. The welds aren't the prettiest, but as a novice welder, I'm happy with the result. In the end, the bumper cost me less than 1/2 of what a new one would typically cost. The bumper is very stout and the tire hardly bounces or wiggles around at all, even on speed bumps. Let me know what you think. :D
DSC08506a.JPG
DSC08508a.JPG
DSC08510a.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a few more shots.
DSC08509a.JPG
DSC08512a.JPG
DSC08513a.JPG

One last one.
DSC08507a.JPG

Nice job. Where did you source the latches?

Those are 2,000lb. latches also from McMaster.

suh-wheat man, gives me some ideas for my backyard build, thanks.:cheers:

Nice job man! Looks great :D

I like it! Excellent job! With your persistence, the swingouts shouldn't bother you when used as a DD. Invest in a tire cover and get your spare out of the sun. Interesting idea with the gas lift gate holders. Keep us informed how they work out. :cheers:

Nice...that's almost exactly what i want on my 62

Very nice indeed! That's about what I want too! Awesome job!

John, thats a very nice looking bumper you have put together...looks like you also made it so that you could still have a second spare on the underside factory location, is that correct?

Very nice John! :cheers:

John, thats a very nice looking bumper you have put together...looks like you also made it so that you could still have a second spare on the underside factory location, is that correct?

That is correct. I can still carry a second spare if needed in the original factory location.

WOW good to hear from you and man that looks great .... and even more of a feat considering you got the four lil ones and the wife to keep happy. Loving the tie ins to the frame for the front of each wing, very cool and been on my list for a while. Hope well see you all out at a function soon; i cant wait to see that one in person.

again :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom