89-95 4Runner/Truck Bucket Seat Driver's Seat Repair/Swap Lowers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From my build thread..For a FAQ submission.

89-95 4Runner/Truck Bucket Seat Driver's Seat Repair/Swap Lowers
By NorCalBorn (Shane)

*There's two ways to do this, like I did, using a passenger side lower from a wreckers and making both like new, or just cheating and swapping what's in your vehicle.

I like having them all in good shape, a little more expensive, but worth the effort IMHO.

Want a cheaper and easier way to fix your torn driver's seat in your 4Runner/Truck w/ bucket seats?
Well, find a good passenger seat and just swap the lowers over!

The problem, wear and tear has destroyed the side of the driver's seat.
3994517900_16df236cf9.jpg

Donor Passenger Seat that will give it's lower to replace my driver's side one.
Save all the hardware you can get, you'll see why later on.
(Note I am not including this disassembly as it's the same as the driver's side.)
3994519058_0cc45b3f19.jpg

Push the driver's seat back, and remove the two 14mm bolts holding the rails down.

Then move the seat all the way forward to expose the rear bolts, which will be covered by trim pieces.
3994520646_a6f6a1fd91.jpg

Use a small standard tip screwdriver, like this, and carefully
pry up to remove the covers so you can get to the last two bolts.
3993763061_813812070f.jpg

*Note: For some reason, every time I've done a Toyota w/ bucket seats,
both sets of inside bolts, closest to the center console, even sometimes the
inside rear, is always cross threaded, why in the note above I suggest saving
any hardware from the donor seat.

Carefully remove the seat from your vehicle, being careful to not snag on
anything or scratch the paint.
(*Lesson I learned the hard way when putting mine back in. :whoops: )
Clean up the carpet from all your spare change,
stray pens and french fries, random pet hairs and dust bunnies.

Also, go ahead and chase and lube the bolt (body mount point) holes so you
can take care of any factory cross thread issues.
3993767895_e505dc7a9a.jpg

3994526786_718f9858de.jpg

Begin prep on your seat needing repair. Remove the recline and trim cap
pieces with a small phillips screwdriver. Push the outside trim piece forward
past the reclining latch and it'll pop clean off. For the inner one, you need to both
push forward, and carefully locate the retention tabs on the piece, pry them off
while pushing forward and it'll pop free also.
3994530352_74d2ec1783.jpg

There are now 4 12mm bolts holding the seat lower in place, remove them all.

*Note from this point forward, you must exercise extreme caution to not hit the
seat release lever or the center wire that strings the catches together.
If you hit them while your hand or fingers are in the area, it won't be a pretty
result. Basically, be careful, wear leather gloves, and take your time!

Locations of front bolts.
3993773575_8f0d31c69e.jpg

Locations of rear bolts.
3994536704_b7302abf28.jpg

All done with that step.
3994532358_7a0b859de5.jpg

Pull upwards and forward (from the seat back) to remove the lower.
3994540140_811fc57704.jpg

3994541950_1ef0ed09e1.jpg

Now is a great time to inspect and clean/lube your seat rails..

Again, keeping in mind the note about not touching the release lever or center
wire so you keep your hand and fingers safe.

I used White Lightening Clean Streak, some bearing lube, and some Tri-Flow,
good stuff, doesn't harm any finishes, and available at most local bicycle shops.
3993783043_1665992489.jpg

Go ahead and also clean and prep your replacement lower.
I went ahead and used Spot Shot (made by the folks at WD-40) as it also
doesn't harm any finishes, works great, and is also available in a trigger bottle.
(Just used the spray style since it was left over from a recent carpet cleaning project.)
3994538598_86c85a8cf4.jpg

Reinstall the lower, using reverse order of the steps above, taking care to not
overtighten the 4 bolts for the lower assembly and the 3 phillips screws for the
trim pieces.

Put the seat back in your vehicle, (Don't scratch the paint!) and torque down the
four bolts there. Reinstall the rear trim covers, put your seat in the right place,
and check everything for proper working order before you go for a drive.

Sit back and admire your work. BTW..
**No that isn't blood on my wrench, or my tools you are always seeing,
it's crimson paint that reminds me to be careful and safe.
Silly, probably, but it does work as a great reminder.
3993787701_5e0fcc5d2c.jpg

Last edited:
that works.. good job.

on the older seats like in my 85s, I pull the covers off.
pull the foam cover off.
re weld the tack welds.
put a layer of the 1/2 foam camp pads cut to fit down the center of the rear of the seat to cover that butt bar that seems to show up right at your tail bone.
a layer over the center of the lower part.
then re apply foam and seat cover.

I hate that butt bar at the bottom of the rear of the seat. dammn that hurts when you land on it.

never would have thought the passenager side was the same as the driver side

Yep! :D If you want to be lazy, and cheap, you can even go as far as to just swap the lowers that are already in your vehicle. The right one would end up with the type of tear mine has being hidden by the seatbelt buckle and the console. :hillbilly:

I kept my old left side for just such an eventuality, or the possibility of just having it repaired at the upholstery shop. Bonus would be my colleague could make a template (pattern) at the same time for his other customers and do a full set-up.

Toyota owners are an intelligent, fanatical, and fun group of people to be associated with. Something I never saw in the other corporations vehicle I drove.

One of these days I might have a great photo friend get a pic of me doing the "Toyota, I love what you do for me!" jump with the 4Runner in the background. :D

Read next reply why...

On the subject of compatible parts, fyi, the steel embossed center caps on the FJC steelies will fit the 89-95 steel wheel like my 4Runner had, as well as the LandCruiser Steelies.

This includes using the 4-5" deep ADD steel caps from the Land Cruiser for the 4Runner and Pickups.

ie: Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 088 USA Semi Floating Rear Axle Parts list: Center Hub Caps/Etc

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat080.tam?xax=27157&page.ctx=cat080.tam

You could go semi-retro and in the case of a build I helped out with recently, keep the silver rims, or chromed ones, clean them up of course (instead of painted flat black like mine) and get the accompanying center cap..you might have to shave some of the tabs off though, it looks great!

42603-60021-big.jpg

088-11c-big.jpg

088-11M-big.jpg

Last edited:
i still say the seats that were in my 87 toyota 4x4 vanwagon were the most confortable seats i have ever set in. and i should not have sold it i should have taken those seats out and shipped it to the scrap yard.

What year seat was that done on? I am looking at buying some used seats, possibly buying 3 seats (2 passenger and one drivers side) and swapping over the passenger to drivers cushion. My dads 93 4runner has a bunch of extra adjustments on the drivers seat and the passenger seat does not, so...in this case will the cushion swap work?
What years were the extra adjustments added?
Actually I guess you could put the passenger seat on anyways and just not have the adjustments.
Anyone done this?
Thanks!
These will be going in my 84FJ60

Cool, nice write-up.

Now show me how to swap the uppers. I have an extra 4Runner pass seat (flips forward), that I want to put in my Xcab for easier access to the rear shelf. But the cushions don't match my '84 SR5 seats, so I need to swap them over. The bottom is easy, but the top looks like a PITA with all the hog rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom