A pillar water leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok all, here's one for ya. I have a 1989 FJ62 in great condition that is rust free. The problem I'm looking for assistance on is a water leak on the passengers A pillar. When it rains, water soaks the covering on the A pillar about 7" from the top. Curiously, it is only on the door side, not the windshield. I have removed the covering and all beneath is clear. I have removed the weatherseal around the door opening and inspected it to find it in good shape. When reinstalling, I coated the inside from the top to the bend where it goes down to the bottom of the door with silicone. It appears this is the only area that this water could be coming from as it does not get wet near the windshield area. IT STILL LEAKS. I know more diag is needed with water to find it, I'm just hoping someone else has had this experience to try and shortcut.
Any background would be appreciated.
Bill

I have the exact same problem. No visible rust, and what appears to be a good weatherstrip, but it's leaking from the A-pillar. Darned if I can figure out where it is coming from.

I have the exact problem in the exact same spot in my rust-free 60. I have accepted it as just one of those little "Land Cruiser" things.

Luckily, mine lives in a garage and doesn't stay wet. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start to rust...

me too... rust free truck... exact same problem. Must be one of those landcruiser things.

It's the rain gutters!!!! Scrape out the old body caulking and replace it with some 3M all around body caulk. This leak WILL 100% lead to rust. Fix it sooner than later. Remember RUST never sleeps!

Dynosoar

Dynosoar said:
It's the rain gutters!!!! Scrape out the old body caulking and replace it with some 3M all around body caulk. This leak WILL 100% lead to rust. Fix it sooner than later. Remember RUST never sleeps!

Dynosoar

Yep. It's the rain gutter. Too much roof rack bouncing is the usual cause. Fix it now or repair rust later.

M

Well, it looks like I struck a nerve...........I never figured so many people would have this problem. Thanks for the input, I'll reseal the gutters and check it.
Bill

> I never figured so many people would have this problem.

More Like : Everybody has (or had) this problem.

With or withiut roof rack, rain gutter where it starts down the A pillar leaks when the caulk shrinks . . . about 18 yr ago :)

BTDT

My 60 has a leak problem which could be coming slightly from the gutters I guess, but the pillar isn't the wet spot, it's the front passenger's floor board that will become soaked in heavy rain, and will start to get wet during a cruiser wash. I hear it could be the windshield seal being bad and old. Not sure how to fix that one without changing or taking out the front windshield and re-doing it. Once again, a little problem on the long list of things to do "someday" when I have no other pending problems to fix first. :frown:

Could be the rain gutters or...

I had the same problem a while back and went right away to the rain gutters. I found a place where the previous roof rack had cut into the seal. I recaulked the gutters and it didn't do any good at all. I finally figured out that the windshield had been replaced at some point and had not been properly sealed. $75 at a auto glass shop took care of it.

On the subject of floorboards being wet after a rain, I've been dealing with this as well. In my case it looks like some chimp with a wrench replaced the driver's front quarter panel and had some trouble getting it aligned. Whomever it was apparently beat on the firewall to get a little extra clearance for a bolt head. In doing so he damaged a seal at the side of the firewall.

Working up from the saturated carpet I removed the plastic panel to the left of the pedals and found water staining and drips from up under the dash. To track it down I did some water testing with a garden hose on a dry day. I found that when water runs down the driver's side, through that gap between the tub and the quarter panel I would get a steady drip on the inside.

Mystery solved but a total PITA to fix. I have to remove the quater panel. I'm doing a diesel swap soon. So I'll wait until then. In the meantime, when it rains I put a towel under the floor mat to soak up the extra water and replace the towel with a dry one daily.

Well, I took the advise from you guys. I taped off the rain gutter yesterday and wet the gutter...................no leak. Removed tape..................leak. Next question................any advise from anyone that recaulked theirs? Did you remove old? What did you use to recaulk? Ive heard there is a self leveling epoxie caulk that you dam up the area and flow it in . Any comments?
Thanks
Bill

I think I would use standard body caulk first. The epoxy stuff sounds...ah, permanent.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom